Dorothy F. Brown
September 21, 1919 – September 2, 2019
Dorothy Brown passed away at her home in Suffolk, VA on September 2, 2019. She was expecting to celebrate her 100th birthday in just 19 days.
Dorothy was born in Wilmington, North Carolina as the youngest of eight children born to Edward Hatch Shivar and Palmetta Batson Shivar. All four brothers, William, Norman, Wister and Elmo, and three sisters, Evelyn, Margareet and Catherine are deceased.
In the late 1930”s, Dorothy (Dot) met her future husband, Joseph Duncan Brown and on February 12, 1939, Dot and J.D. were married in Wilmington. Several years later, after J.D. Jr. arrived, they moved to Virginia and lived in Hampton and Newport News as daughter, Evelyn Sandra joined the family. Son-in-Law, Ted, and Daughter-in-law, Cindy, arrived years later as Dot and J.D. eventually settled into retirement.
After several retirement years in Kissimmee, Florida, great-grandchildren began arriving and they decided to return to Virginia.
Dot lost J.D. to heart failure in 2000 but continued to coddle and comfort a family that grew to six grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, two great-great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. She has lovingly affected many lives and will be warmly remembered by every one of them.
A Graveside service will be held with family and friends this Saturday, September 7, at Parklawn-Wood Funeral Home, 2551 North Armistead Avenue, Hampton, VA 23666. Pastor Garland Hines will guide the service.
Immediately after the service, Dorothy’s friends are invited to join the family for food and reflection at Wythe Presbyterian Church, 151 Robinson Road, Hampton 23661.
- Edward Hatch Shivar, Father (deceased)
- Palmetta Batson Shivar, Mother (deceased)
- Joseph Duncan Brown (J.D.), Husband (deceased)
- J.D. Brown, Jr. and wife, Cindy, Son
- Evelyn Sandra and husband, Ted, Daughter
- Debora & Ginger, Grandchildren
- Christopher & Katie, Grandchildren
- Barry & Brian (deceased), Grandchildren
- Matthew & Jessica, Great-Grandchildren
- David & Nicholas, Great-Grandchildren
- Ryan & Barry, Jr., Great-Grandchildren
- Aubrey & Amelia, Great-Grandchildren
- Scarlett & Joseph Ryan, Jr., Great-Great-Grandchildren
- Graveside Service Saturday, September 7, 2019