Jean Rhodes Armentrout
January 7, 1925 – May 29, 2021
Jean Rhodes Armentrout, 96, a lifelong resident of Harrisonburg passed away on Saturday, May 29, 2021 at Willow Estates.
She was born January 7, 1925 in Harrisonburg and was a daughter of the late Alfred F. and Bertha Shadwell Rhodes.
Jean graduated from Dayton High School in 1942 and was a member of Garber’s Church of the Brethren. She was a lab technician for the Virginia Department of Agriculture for 38 years before retiring in 1987. She loved to read, play cards and crochet. On July 2, 1944 she married, Roy Junior Armentrout, who preceded her in death on December 22, 1996.
She is survived by two daughters, Sharon Kay Horn and husband, Russell and Sandra Sue Hess both of Harrisonburg; one granddaughter, Sabrina Hess Knight and husband, Steve; three step-grandchildren, Laura Baltagi, Greer Etchebarne and C.M. Hess, III; four great-grandchildren, Madison Koontz, Charleigh Hess, Jeffrey Knight and Elijah Hess Sherman; one sister, Ann Coakley of Harrisonburg.
In addition to her parents and husband, she was preceded in death by a granddaughter, Angela N. Hess; and her siblings, Edith Chandler, Mildred Ricedorf, JoAnn Rhodes, Helen Southerly, Alfred F. Rhodes. Jr., Richard Rhodes and James Rhodes.
A Graveside Service will be held 11 am, Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at Linville Congregation Christian Church Cemetery, with Rev. Walt Crull and Rev. Ken Dolan officiating. There will be no visitation or viewing at the funeral home.
Memorial Contributions may be made to Sentara Hospice, c/o RMH Foundation, 2010 Health Campus Dr., Harrisonburg, VA 22801.
Lindsey Funeral Home in Harrisonburg is handling arrangements. Condolences and memories may be shared with the family by visiting www.lindseyharrisonburg.com.
- Sharon Kay Horn (Russell), Daughter
- Sandra Sue Hess, Daughter
- Sabrina Hess Knight (Steve), Granddaughter
- Laura Baltagi, Step-Grandchild
- Greer Etchebarne, Step-Granchild
- C. M. Hess, III, Step-Grandchild
- Madison Koontz, Great-Grandchild
- Charleigh Hess, Great-Grandchild
- Jeffrey Knight, Great-Grandchild
- Elijah Hess Sherman, Great-Grandchild
- Ann Coakley, Sister
- Roy Junior Armentrout, Husband (deceased)
- Bertha Shadwell Rhodes, Mother (deceased)
- Alfred F. Rhodes, Father (deceased)
- Angela N. Hess, Granddaughter (deceased)
- Edith Chandler, Sister (deceased)
- Mildred Ricedorf, Sister (deceased)
- JoAnn Rhodes, Sister (deceased)
- Helen Southerly, Sister (deceased)
- Alfred F. Rhodes, Jr., Brother (deceased)
- Richard Rhodes, Brother (deceased)
- James Rhodes, Brother (deceased)
c/o RMH Foundation 2010 Health Campus Drive , Harrisonburg, Virginia 22801
Wednesday, June 2, 2021
Jean Rhodes Armentrout
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
June 1, 2021
Dear Kay and Sandra, I am so sad to read that your mom has passed away. I had hoped to go visit her this summer. She was always so friendly and was a good neighbor to my mom (Dot Kiser). I always enjoyed visiting with her, and you both, when you were there to visit. My thoughts are with you and your families.