Dewey Orville "Whitey" Name
October 13, 1934 – June 2, 2019
Dewey Orville “Whitey” Name, 84, of Homosassa, FL, passed away peacefully on Sunday, June 2, 2019 with his children at his side. A native of Kokomo, Indiana, he was born October 13, 1934 to William and Cleo (Wiles) Name. Whitey, as he was known to many, moved to Homosassa in 1980 from his native Kokomo, but also resided summers in Marion, Illinois until 2007. Whitey was a retired entrepreneur with interests in many areas, including Mo Show Amusements, Name Construction Co., Name Concrete, Name Excavating and Demolition, and Name, Inc., a paving company. He was a visionary that accomplished many great things such as creating an asphalt plant out of a train car despite experts telling him it could not be done. He was an avid reader of Louis Lamour westerns, loved deep sea fishing and flea marketing but his favorite pastimes were playing pool and playing poker, often winning tournament championships. He was always for the underdog and made it his life’s mission to help those he found in need. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a daughter, Charlotte Lorraine Name, and his siblings, Everett, Rutt, Gene, Charles, Mercedes, Freda, Ardella, Jody, Kenny, John and Glen. Whitey is survived by his beloved wife of 65 years, Lula Belle Name, Homosassa; daughter Carletta Name, Homosassa; daughter Rachelle Name (husband Keith Lowe), Spring Hill, FL; son Dewey Orville Name II (wife Marcie Anna), Homosassa; grandchildren Jesse Name, Dewey Orville Name III (fiancé Rebecca Schubert) and Ashlynn Name; great grandchildren Mason and Greycen Name, best friend & partner in crime, Dallas Mighell, all of Homosassa, as well as many nieces and nephews. Family and friends will be received on Friday, June 7, 2019 from 6:00 to 8:00 P.M. at Wilder Funeral Home, Homosassa, where a celebration of life will be held on Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 11:00 A.M. Interment will be private. www.wilderfuneral.com
- William Harrison Name, Father
- Cleo Wiles, Mother
- Charlotte Lorraine Name, Infant daughter
- Lula Belle Name, Loving wife of 65 years of Homosassa
- Carletta Name, Daughter of Homosassa
- Rachelle Elaine Name, Daughter of Spring Hill, FL
- Keith Lowe, Son-in-law of Spring Hill, FL
- Dewey Orville Name II, Son of Homosassa
- Marcie Name, Daughter-in-law of Homosassa
- Jesse Name, Grandson of Homosassa
- Dewey Orville Name III, Grandson of Homosassa
- Rebecca Schubert, Fiance of Dewey III of Homosassa
- Ashlynn Name, Granddaughter of Homosassa
- Mason Name, Great grandson of Homosassa
- Greycen Name, Great grandson of Homosassa
- Dallas Mighell, Best friend and partner in crime of Homosassa
- Whitey is also preceded in death by his siblings Everett, Rutt, Gene, Charles, Mercedes, Freda, Ardella, Jody, Kenny, John and Glen and is survived also by many nieces and nephews
- Friends Will Be Received Friday, June 7, 2019
- Celebration of Life Saturday, June 8, 2019
Dewey Orville "Whitey" Name
June 9, 2019
I offer my condolences to the family at the passing of Dewey. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
My memories are of Dewey and my Dad (Dale) heading off to the races on Sunday night at the Kokomo Speedway; watching Dewey on the backhoe helping Dad (Dale) dig up broken tiles in the back yard, Dewey giving handles to by Dad, and Dewey always more then willing to help when asked.
Throughout the years I have had nothing but fond memories of Dewey and his family.
Dewey will be missed.