January 16, 1930 – September 9, 2018
Louis Eugene (Gene) Mayfield, age 88, passed away, Sunday, September 9, 2018 peacefully at home in Houston, TX, surrounded by family. He was born in Martin County, TX to Ray and Jane Mayfield on January 16, 1930.
Gene graduated from Flower Grove High School, and attended Texas Tech in Lubbock TX. In 1950, he married his childhood sweetheart, Mary Evelyn Mullins. He served 5 years in the Navy before transferring to the Air Force, where he was stationed in various places in Europe and Texas before retiring 20 years later. In 1970, the marriage ended, and he move to Kaufman, TX where he taught vocational school for the next 6 years. In 1976, he met the love of his life, Betty Jo Hartis-Jorgensen and they spent the next 40+ years, ranching, traveling, and spending time with their combined children and grandchildren.
Gene is survived by his loving wife, Betty Jo; daughters, Deborah Mayfield Fajardo (Phillip) of Georgetown, TX, Janie Mayfield Smith (Todd) of Georgetown, TX, Susan Jorgensen of Houston, TX., and Kristi Jorgensen of Houston, TX.; son-in-law Clyde Tyree of Murfreesboro, TN; sons, Ralph Jorgensen (Pam) of Houston, TX, Jeff Jorgensen of Houston, TX, Chuck Jorgensen (Holly) of Houston, TX . He also leaves behind 12 Grandchildren; Heather Johnson (Kevin) of Houston, TX; Keva Atwood (Trevor) of Murfreesboro, TN; Camille Johns (Jay) of Georgetown, TX; Rachel Tyree of Nashville, TN; Skyler Smith (Isabel) of Austin, TX; Cody Smith (Shelby) of Georgetown, TX; Nathan Fajardo of Georgetown, TX; Bobby Jorgensen, Jonathan Jorgensen, Jake Jorgensen, Alex Jorgensen and Zach Jorgensen all from Houston, TX. Four great grandsons, Micah, Isaac and Simon Atwood of Murfreesboro, TN and Gavin Clay Smith of Georgetown, TX. Also left to cherish Gene's memory, is his sister Linda Lee (Jim) of Prescott, AZ; nephew, Dee Calverely and niece, Michelle Robinson.
He was preceded in death by his Mother, Jane Beckmeyer of Ackerly, TX; daughter, Mary Jo (Jody) Mayfield Tyree of Murfreesboro, TN; grandson Jeran Fajardo of Austin, TX.; and great grandchild Chia Atwood of Durham. NC.
Visitation will be held at Memorial Oaks Funeral Home Thursday, September 13th from 6 – 8 pm. Services will also be held at Memorial Oaks Funeral Home, Friday, September 14 at 10 am, followed by the graveside service at Memorial Oaks Cemetery.
- Betty Jo Mayfield, Wife
- Deborah Fajardo, Daughter
- Phillip Fajardo, Son-in-law
- Janie Smith, Daughter
- Todd Smith, Son-in-law
- Susan Jorgensen, Daughter
- Kristi Jorgensen, Daughter
- Clyde Tyree, Son-in-law
- Ralph Jorgensen, Son
- Pam Jorgensen, Daughter-in-law
- Jeff Jorgensen, Son
- Chuck Jorgensen, Son
- Holly Jorgensen, Daughter-in-law
- Also left to cherish fond memories are his 12 grandchildren; Heather Johnson (Kevin) Houston; Keva Atwood (Trevor) Murfreesboro, TN; Camille Johns (Jay) Georgetown, TX; Rachel Tyree, Nashville, TN; Skyler Smith (Isabel) Austin, TX; Cody Smith (Shelby) Georgetown, TX; Nathan Fajardo, Georgetown, TX; Bobby Jorgensen, Jonathan Jorgensen, Jake Jorgensen, Alex Jorgensen and Zach Jorgensen all from Houston. Four great grandsons, Micah, Isaac and Simon Atwood, Murfreesboro, TN and Gavin Clay Smith of Georgetown, TX.
- Skyler Smith
- Cody Smith
- Nathan Fajardo
- Bobby Jorgensen
- Jonathan Jorgensen
- Jake Jorgensen
- Alex Jorgensen
- Zach Jorgensen
- Visitation Thursday, September 13, 2018
- Funeral Service Friday, September 14, 2018
- Graveside Service Friday, September 14, 2018