April 23, 1939 – May 18, 2020
Thomas Roberts,81, passed away on May 18th, 2020 in Houston, Texas. He wad born in NotleyVille, Louisiana to parents Leon Roberts and Alice Nacoste Roberts on April 23, 1939.
Thomas was one of 12 children born. He graduated from Holy Ghost Highschool in 1958 in Opelousas Louisiana. He met and married his soulmate Rita Tyler on April 23, 1963. They moved to Houston, TX, where they started their careers and lives together.
He dedicated his love for providing news and a voice to the community at the Houston Post for 27 years where he was the first black Pressroom Manager/Supervisor in any major newspaper in the state of Texas. He served the community along-side the other brothers Knights with the Knights of Columbus 4th Degree Council number 06826
Thomas loved his job at the Houston Post, fishing with his brothers’ and you would often hear him having deep discussions with sister Laura which he also loved having. He loved gardening on his tractor and with his hands. He liked providing food he had grown for others to enjoy. Most people that knew him know he also loved to tell jokes. His most favorite thing to do was to spoil his grandchildren with candy coins. He loved his many friends and the fellowship he received at St. Gregory The Great Catholic Church where he and his wife Rita had been members for several decades. He taught Continuing Christian Education classes there for many, many years. He loved to help others, he also loved and provided for his family. He has been a constant friend and counsel to the many lives he has crossed.
Thomas is survived by his daughter, Brenda D Roberts; sons, Fredrick Reginald Roberts, Bruce Randolph Roberts and Craig Hector & (wife) Aria Marie Roberts; granddaughter, Courtney Takeya Monique Roberts; Grandsons, Fredrick Reginald Roberts Jr. and De’Andre Eric D Brown; great-grandson, Kyree’ Lavar Reginald Esprit; brother, Lee-Paul Roberts and sisters, Laura Roberts Barber and Therese Roberts. Thomas is preceded in death by his wife, Rita Tyler Roberts; sisters, Veronica Roberts-Scott and Roseline Roberts; and brothers, Walter Roberts Sr., John Roberts; Leon Roberts Jr, Peter Roberts; Anthony Roberts, Andrew Roberts.
Serving as pallbearers, Fredrick Roberts, Bruce Roberts, Craig Roberts, and De’Andre Brown; serving as honorary pallbearers James Roberts, Marcus Roberts, Paul Scott, Maceo Barber, and Stanley Roberts.
The family would like to give a special thanks to St. Gregory The Great Catholic Church friends and clergy, Knights of Columbus 4th Degree Council number 06826; Brookside Funeral Home and Memorial Park.
- Brenda D Roberts, Daughter
- Fredrick Reginald Roberts, Son
- Bruce Randolph Roberts, Son
- Craig Hector (Aria Marie Roberts), Son
- Courtney Takeya Monique Roberts, Granddaughter
- Fredrick Reginald Roberts Jr, Grandson
- De’Andre Eric D Brown, Grandson
- Kyree’ Lavar Reginald Esprit, Great-Great Grandson
- Lee-Paul Roberts, Brother
- Laura Roberts Barber, Sister
- Therese Roberts, Sister
- Rita Tyler Roberts, Wife (deceased)
- Veronica Roberts-Scott, Sister (deceased)
- Roseline Roberts, Sister (deceased)
- Walter Roberts Sr., Brother (deceased)
- John Roberts, Brother (deceased)
- Leon Roberts Jr, Brother (deceased)
- Peter Roberts, Brother (deceased)
- Anthony Roberts, Brother (deceased)
- Andrew Roberts, Brother (deceased)
Learn more about the Roberts name