Walter Fredrick Gilbert
October 5, 1942 – July 9, 2018
Walter Fredrick Gilbert was born in Coleman, Texas to Obie and Ruby Gilbert. Walter was tenth born in a family of eleven children.
Walter graduated from Humphrey High School and from there he went to Prairie View A&M University where he earned his Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture Education. He was drafted to the Marines in his last year of college. Walter served in the Marine’s from January 1967 to September 1972. He served in Vietnam in the 3rd Marine Division as a Morterman. On returning to the States, he served a Military Policeman at Camp Pendleton.
After completing his military time and college degree, Walter met and married his wife of 46 years Ida Burns.
Walter’s career path included working in the Oil Fields in Midland, Texas, teaching in Dallas, Texas, teaching at Brownwood State School, Meterologist in Lubbock, Texas, Federal Grain Inspector with USDA in Houston, Texas where he worked for 31 years. Walter and his Coworkers graded grain and other commodities going out the country for USDA. While working for the Government, Walter served as President for the Local Union 3769 for the federal employees.
Walter and Ida have two loving children, Shawn and Sharice. The family loved traveling and visiting many places in and out of the country. Shawn and Sharice were both very athletic in sports. Their parents got joy out of following them to many sporting events from high school days to college days. Walter had two beautiful granddaughters, Maya and Ava who he adored so very much. He took pride in fulfilling their wants. Walter enjoyed deer hunting, dancing, playing cards (solitaire and spades) and socializing with his friends. He was a loving family man to all of his family friends. Walter joined the Methodist faith at an early age and grew up in the church. He was a member of Journey of Faith United Faith Methodist Church upon passing.
He is survived by his wife, Ida Burns Gilbert, his son Shawn Gilbert (Tricia), daughter Sharice Gilbert, brother Larry Gilbert (Carolyn), granddaughters Maya and Ava, brother –in-law Emmitt Gaines, sister-in-law Mickie Gilbert Alston and a host of nieces and nephews, relatives and friends, adopted daughter Cynthia Smith.
He is preceded in death by his parents Obie and Ruby Gilbert, brothers Frank and Louis, sisters Mary, Janet, Linnie, Bobbie and Bessie.
- Ida Burns Gilbert, Wife of 46 Years
- Shawn Gilbert and wife Tricia, Son and Spouse
- Sharice Gilbert, Daughter
- Larry Gilbert and wife Carolyn, Brother and Spouse
- Maya and Ava, Granddaughters
- Emmitt Gaines, Brother-in-Law
- Mickie Gilbert Alston, Sister-in-Law
- Cynthia Smith, Adopted Daughter
- Obie and Ruby Gilbert, Parents
- Frank and Louis, Brothers
- Mary, Janet, Linnie, Bobbie and Bessie, Sisters
- Walter also leaves behind a host of nieces, nephews and other relatives and friends.
- Visitation Sunday, July 15, 2018
- Visitation Monday, July 16, 2018
- Funeral Service Monday, July 16, 2018
- Committal Service Monday, July 16, 2018