Robert W. Bowers, Sr.
December 10, 1933 – October 19, 2020
Robert W. Bowers, Sr., 86 passed away on Monday, October 19, 2020 at the Markle Health and Rehab Center. Bob had worked for over 30 years in the maintenance department at the General Motors Fisher Body Plant in Marion, Indiana until his retirement. He enjoyed listening to music, family gatherings and being with friends at the American Legion. He was a self-taught guitarist, he loved his music and was a member of several Bands. Bob hosted and attended many Jam sessions with his friends and family. He passed his love of music on to his children by providing instruments and encouraging them to form their own Band.
Bob was born on December 10, 1933 in Huntington, the son of the late Sherman H. and Macy M. (Newcomb) Bowers.
He was united in marriage to Janet J. Gray on August 31, 1951 in Huntington. Janet preceded him in death on March 11, 2009.
Survivors include four sons: Robert W. (Marsha) Bowers, Jr., Rick W. (Kathy) Bowers, Russ W. Bowers, Rod W. (Alisa) Bowers all of Huntington; a daughter: Diana S. (David) Messina of Port Charlotte, FL; 8 grandchildren, 13 great grandchildren and 2 great-great grandchildren with one on the way.
He was preceded in death by three brothers: William H. Bowers, Harold S. Bowers, Paul D. Bowers and three sisters: Vivian L. Szalkowski, Marian S. Ontiveros, Carolyn R. Szalkowski and a half-brother: Russell D. Ellet.
Visitation will be held on Thursday, October 22, 2020 from 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm at the Myers Funeral Home Huntington Chapel, 2901 Guilford Street, Huntington, Indiana. We will be following the CDC’s guidelines for Social Distancing and Social Gathering Limits.
Funeral service will be held on Friday, October 23, 2020 at 11:00 am with one hour of visitation prior to the service at the Myers Funeral Home Huntington Chapel.
Interment will be at the Zion Cemetery.
Memorial donations can be made out to donor’s choice of charity in care of Myers Funeral Home, 2901 Guilford Street, Huntington, IN 46750.
- Robert W. (Marsha) Bowers, Jr., Son and Daughter-in-law
- Rick W. (Kathy) Bowers, Son and Daughter-in-law
- Russ W. Bowers, Son
- Rod W. (Alisa) Bowers, Son and Daughter-in-law
- Diana S. (David) Messina, Daughter and Son-in-law
- Janet J. (Gray) Bowers, Wife (deceased)
- Sherman H. Bowers, Father (deceased)
- Macy M. (Newcomb) Bowers, Mother (deceased)
- William H. Bowers, Brother (deceased)
- Harold S. Bowers, Brother (deceased)
- Paul D. Bowers, Brother (deceased)
- Vivian L. Szalkowski, Sister (deceased)
- Marian S. Ontiveros, Sister (deceased)
- Carolyn R. Szalkowski, Sister (deceased)
- Russell D. Ellet, Half-Brother (deceased)
- Eight Grandchildren, Thirteen Great Grandchildren and Two Great-Great Grandchildren with one on the way
Learn more about the Bowers name
Thursday, October 22, 2020
Friday, October 23, 2020
Friday, October 23, 2020
Robert W. Bowers Sr.
October 23, 2020
To Bob's family and friends our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Chad and Bobbie thinking of you.
Uncle Terry and Aunt Sue