Mr. Clarence "Cotton" Sledd
March 23, 1926 – December 3, 2018
Clarence “Cotton” Sledd, 92, passed away peacefully at The Villages of Jackson Creek in Independence MO on Monday December 3rd, 2018. He grew up in Blairstown, MO and was a WWII veteran with the U.S. Navy. He was a lineman for Independence Power and Light until he retired in 1986. His fondest memories were of fishing, metal detecting and the many trips he took with his wife of 39 years, Betty. Cotton never knew a stranger, always ready with a good word and a handshake, with a smile on his face. He was known to us as “Gramps” and he will be forever missed.
Cotton was preceded in death by his parents Mattie and Elven Sledd and his wife Betty Danforth Sledd. He leaves behind one sister Mildred James of Harrisonville and one daughter Pam Holman of Independence; two granddaughters Melissa Crabtree and husband Darren (Yepper) and Lori Holman both of Independence; three great granddaughters Rachel, Robin and Chase and one great-great granddaughter Marie; four nephews and two nieces. In lieu of flowers the family requests donations be made to Crossroads Hospice, 14310 E 42nd Street, Independence or the American Legion, 16701 E 40 Hwy, Independence.
- Elven Sledd, Father
- Mattie Sledd, Mother
- Betty Danforth Sledd, Wife
- Mildred James, Sister
- Pam Holman, Daughter
- Melissa Crabtree and husband Darren (Yepper) and Lori Holman, Granddaughters
- Rachel, Robin and Chase, Great Granddaughters
- Clarence also leaves to cherish his memory a great-great granddaughter; Marie, 4 nephews and 2 nieces.
14310 E. 42nd Street STE 600 , Independence, Missouri 64055
16701 E. 40 HWY, Independence, Missouri 64055
- Visitation Friday, December 7, 2018
- Funeral Service Friday, December 7, 2018
- Committal Service Friday, December 7, 2018