Glenda R. Adkins
November 1, 1939 – September 13, 2019
Age 79, of Independence, Missouri, passed on September 13, 2019. She loved her family very much and battled alzheimer’s and chronic health conditions as long as she could so she could be with them. She found comfort knowing from her church that she would be with Jesus and be reunited with her family.
Glenda was born November 1, 1939, she was preceded in death by her husband Larry Adkins whom she was married to for 62 years, her adoring son Russell Adkins, her loving sister Yvonne and her parents Byron and Edith Johnston.
She was born to the late Byron and Edith Johnston; and is survived by her daughters Toni Bond and Tammie Lance; grandchildren Brandon Adkins, Shawn Adkins, Michelle Scott, Sarah Crosby, Laura Keyworth, Jeremy Lance and Jason Lance; great grandchildren Ida Keyworth , Michael Keyworth and Nora Scott.
Glenda was a devoted wife, mother, grandmother and great grandmother. She was a loving caregiver for her parents and her husband. Early in life she worked at Velvet Freeze, Strike’n Spare Bowl and Funhouse Pizza. She traveled throughout the midwest with Larry and managed the accounting for their family owned business.
Glenda was a very giving person, not just to her family and friends but to people she never met before. She played bingo, cards and domino’s. She enjoyed cooking special dishes for her family and would always have a hot pot of coffee ready. Those who knew Glenda knows she was ornery and had an R- rated sense of humor. She had a smile that could light up a room and her eye’s would sparkle.
Those who knew and loved her will truly miss her.
The service will be officiated by Pastor David Stanley, Gracepointe Community Church.
In lieu of flowers please make a donation to the St. Jude’s Children's Fund.
- Byron E. Johnston, Father (deceased)
- Edith E. (Brack) Johnston, Mother (deceased)
- Larry Adkins, Husband (deceased)
- Yvonne Johnston, Sister (deceased)
- Russell Adkins, Son (deceased)
- Toni Bond, Daughter
- Tammie Lance, Daughter
- Brandon Adkins, Shawn Adkins, Michelle Scott, Sarah Crosby, Laura Keyworth, Jeremy Lance and Jason Lance, Grandchildren
- Ida Keyworth, Michael Keyworth and Nora Scott, Great grandchildren
- George Bond, Pallbearer
- Jim Crosby, Pallbearer
- Sarah Crosby, Pallbearer
- Alex Keyworth, Pallbearer
- Randy Adkins, Pallbearer
- Jeremy Lance, Pallbearer
- Tammie Lance, Honorary Pallbearer
- Jason Lance, Honorary Pallbearer
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Memorials Processing 501 St Jude Place , Mempe, Tennessee 38105-9959
- Visitation Wednesday, September 18, 2019
- Funeral Service Thursday, September 19, 2019
- Committal Service Thursday, September 19, 2019