Barbara Jean Powell
February 27, 1931 – August 4, 2019
Barbara Jean Powell Carmel, Indiana - passed away Sunday, August 4, 2019 at her home in Carmel Indiana. She was born February 27, 1931 in Shelby County, IN to John W Voelker and Magdalena (Jacobs) Voelker. She married “the only Love of her life” Edward J. Powell on August 4, 1951 at St Joseph Catholic Church, Shelbyville IN. She graduated from Boggstown High School 1948 and St. Vincent Hospital School of Nursing 1951. She was a wife, nurse, mother of five sons, aunt to 19 nieces and nephews, friend to all she met and a devout Catholic.
She was predeceased by sons Stephen,Thomas, David, and her husband Ed. She is survived by sons Joseph (Nancy) of Pass Christian MS, Jeffrey (Janette) Mesquite NV , 6 grandsons and 14 great-grandchildren 2 Great Great Grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will held at St Pius X Catholic Church, 7200 Sarto Drive, Indianapolis Indiana on Friday, August 9, 2019 at 2:30 pm with visitation 1 hour prior to her Mass of Christian burial, a private interment will be at Calvary Cemetery under the direction of Feeney-Hornak Mortuary at a later date.
A Peace Meal will be offered following mass at K of C Northside for family and friends.
In lieu of flowers please consider a donation to the IU Foundation and mail to IUF; PO Box 7072; Indianapolis, IN 46207-7072. Indicate “In memory of Barbara J. Powell” on the memo line. You may also make donations online at www.cancer.iu.edu/giving.
- John W. Voelker, Father (deceased)
- Magdalena (Jacobs) Voelker, Mother (deceased)
- Edward "Ed" Powell, Husband (deceased)
- Stephen Powell, Son (deceased)
- Thomas Powell, Son (deceased)
- David Powell, Son (deceased)
- Joseph Powell (Nancy), Son
- Jeffrey Powell (Janette), Son
- 6 Grandsons; 14 Great Grandchildren; 2 Great-Great Grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.
- IU Foundation
- Visitation Friday, August 9, 2019
- Mass of Christian Burial Friday, August 9, 2019