Mr. John William Martin
June 10, 1928 – June 7, 2018
Mr. John William Martin, 89, went to be with the lord Thursday, June 7, 2018, three days before his 90th birthday.
Mr. Martin was born on June 10, 1928, in Plain, Ms. (currently Richland). He was a graduate of Florence High School and later attended Hinds Junior College.
Mr. Martin served in both the U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Army. He retired as a Division Manager from Sears and Roebuck Company after 23 years of service. Mr. Martin was a member of Epworth United Methodist Church until its closing and then joined FUMC of Clinton.
He and his wife Virginia enjoyed square dancing and traveling to many countries. Mr. Martin was Past Post Commander of Brantley-Ryan VFW Post #835.
He was preceded in death by his parents John W. and Ruth Martin, brothers James R. and Robert Martin, and sister Betty Butler.
Survivors include his wife of 57 years Virginia Merritt Martin, son John William Martin, Jr. (Kristi) of Nanaimo, B. C., Canada, daughter Vicki Martin Bishop (David) of Ridgeland, Grandchildren Kristine and Matthew Bishop ;and Acacia, Bryden, and Payton Martin, and numerous other relatives and friends.
Funeral Services for Mr. Martin will be held Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 10 a.m. at the First United Methodist Church of Clinton. Visitation will begin one hour prior to the service at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Interment will follow in Lakewood South Memorial Park.
In lieu of flowers, family requests donations be made to First United Methodist Church, 100 Mt. Salus Road, Clinton, MS 39056.
- Virginia Merritt Martin, Wife
- John William Martin Jr., Son
- Vicki Martin Bishop, Daughter
- Matthew Thomas Bishop, Grandchild
- Kristine Lynn Bishop, Grandchild
- Acacia Martin, Grandchild
- Bryden Martin, Grandchild
- Payton Martin, Grandchild
- David Bishop, Pallbearer
- Matthew Bishop, Pallbearer
- John Martin Jr., Pallbearer
- Martin Butler, Pallbearer
- Robbie Martin, Pallbearer
- Aldewin Johnson, Pallbearer
- First United Methodist Church
- Visitation Tuesday, June 12, 2018
- Funeral Tuesday, June 12, 2018