David Edgar Mays
April 13, 1945 – September 24, 2019
David Edgar Mays, age 74 of Jackson, passed away on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at Jackson General Hospital.
David was born on April 13, 1945 in Jackson to the late Davis Edgar and Sonya Inez Hearn Mays. He was a Rail Way Conductor for GM&O Railroad, ICG Railroad, and CN Railroad. Some of his proudest accomplishments were his promotion to Railway Conductor and being elected General Chairman for the United Transportation Union. He enjoyed time with his family and friends, motorcycling, camping, reading, playing cards, and cooking a good meal.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his siblings, Harold Eugene Mays, Larry Joe Mays, Sara Davis Mays Wilhoit, and Jacqueline Mays Cox.
He is survived by his wife, Virginia "Ginny" Bedat Mays; his daughter, Denise Elaine Mays Sharp (Bobby); son, Jonathan David Mays (Yellen); grandchildren, Noah Robert Sharp, Ian Matthew Sharp, Erin Brooks Sharp, Brennan David Mays, and Emma Grace Mays; and one sister, Clara Frances Mays Pitts
The family will receive friends and loved ones at a period of visitation to be held on Saturday, September 28, 2019 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. at the North Chapel of George A. Smith and Sons. The funeral service will immediately follow at 1 p.m. with Rev. Justin Wainscott, Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church officiating. Interment will follow with full military honors in Highland Memorial Gardens.
The family has requested that memorial contributions in David's memory be directed to the Barnabas Class in care of First Baptist Church of Jackson, 1627 N. Highland Ave., Jackson, TN 38301 ,Regional Inter-Faith Association (RIFA), 133 Airways Blvd., Jackson, TN 38301, or the American Cancer Society.
- Virginia "Ginny" Bedat Mays, Wife
- Denise Elaine Mays Sharp (Bobby), Daughter
- Jonathan David Mays (Yellen), Son
- Noah Robert Sharp, Grandchild
- Ian Matthew Sharp, Grandchild
- Erin Brooks Sharp, Grandchild
- Brennan David Mays, Grandchild
- Emma Grace Mays, Grandchild
- Clara Frances Mays Pitts, Sister
- Davis Edgar and Sonya Inez Mays, Parents, Deceased
- Harold Eugene Mays, Brother, Deceased
- Larry Joe Mays, Brother, Deceased
- Jacqueline Mays Cox, Sister, Deceased
- Sara Davis Mays Wilhoit, Sister, Deceased
- Randolph Gay, Active
- Jason Gay, Active
- Noah Sharp, Active
- Ian Sharp, Active
- Brennan Mays, Active
- Ryan Young, Active
The Barnabas Class in care of First Baptist Church
1627 North Highland Ave., Jackson, Tennessee 38301
- Regional Inter-Faith Association (RIFA)
- The American Cancer Society
- Visitation with Friends and Loved Ones Saturday, September 28, 2019
- The Funeral Service Saturday, September 28, 2019
David Edgar Mays
September 28, 2019
Ginny, how our hearts are saddened to learn of David’s passing. We always enjoyed being with you and him on Union booster trips. David always projected an unassuming strength. His economy of words signaled to me that it was important to listen when he spoke. We will miss him enormously and will cherish the memories of good times had together. Be assured that we are with you during these difficult days.
Janice and Charles Baldwin
September 27, 2019
Ginny: Just a note to tell you I am aware of your loss & share in your sadness. ---Martin Coffman