Marjorie Shaw Nicholson
October 8, 1932 – November 1, 2018
On October 8, 1932, the sun shined on the world and blessed us with a child who would grow to become a wife, mother, friend, woman of virtue, and ambassador of God. Marjorie “Granny” Nicholson was born in Haywood County to Herman and Willie Lou Shaw, the third of six children. At an early age, Marjorie began her relationship with God by accepting him as her Lord and Savior. She joined Browns Creek Missionary Baptist Church where she sang in the choir and served faithfully as Lifelong member. She also sang as a member of the singing group, Gospel Echoes. She started her education at Browns Creek School and attended Merry High School in Jackson, TN.
In 1950, she gave birth to her first daughter, Peggy Martin. On December 26, 1955, she joined in holy matrimony to the love of her life James Edward Nicholson. Their union lasted twenty‐one years until his passing in 1976. To their union four more wonderful children were born: Carolyn “Doll” Ewing, Monica “LuLu” Clark, James Edward Nicholson, Jr. and Marcella “Judy” James.
Marjorie spent most of her years working in the garment industry as a seamstress, while also serving her community as a beautician. The caliber of her dignity and grace was spotlighted when in 2013 she was nominated and featured as a Model for the travelling exhibition “Women of a New Tribe”. She enjoyed engaging with people and loved meaningful conversations. Granny also enjoyed cooking and feeding those she loved. She started a food ministry often baking and cooking full meals for the sick, friends, and loved ones. After realizing she could travel in comfort by air, Granny became a road warrior, taking many trips across the country. As a widow and loving mother, she knew that she had to encourage all her daughters to seek higher education as a means to an independent, successful future. On November 1, 2018, the sun set and carried our mother home to be with her Heavenly Father. She was preceded in death by one son, James Edward Nicholson, Jr.; one daughter, Marcella James; one great grandchild, Nukunu Martin-Tamakloe; one great, great‐grandchild, Ashton Keen. Granny leaves to cherish her memory three devoted daughters: Monica (Thomas) Clark, Peggy (Theodore) Martin, and Carolyn (Tyrone) Ewing; ten special grandchildren: Montoya (Issac) Tamakloe, Kyita Rhodes, Sharronica (Eric) Jackson, Kistreia (David) Robinson, Terrance (Darecka) Nicholson, Marketta “Honey” Clark, LeToi (Toyale) Patillo, Delano (Olena) James, Alonzo James, and Tyrone Ewing Jr; seventeen great-grandchildren: Aurionne Martin, AuZhane Martin, Briana Batchelor, Thomas King, Antonio Walker, Araya Jackson, Zaire Chapman, Cauriel Patillo, Anthony Garrett, Jalieel Patillo, Makiyah Patillo, Delaya James, Delano James, Jr., Olivia James, Ghadess Clark, Adele Robinson, and Tyrone Ewing III; one great, great-grandchild London Richardson; three sisters: Lillian (Willie B.) Gray, Natalie Wilkes, Martha (Levi) Hurt; two brothers: Forrest (Annie) Shaw, Willie Mack (Ora) Shaw; one Sister-in law, Ernestine Beard; and many loving nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends.
She also leaves a devoted cousin Hubert Bradford, a special niece and great niece, Derotha and Schara Shaw, and a bonus daughter, Juanita Austin.
Memorial Services for Mrs. Nicholson will be conducted on Saturday, November 10, 2018 in the North Chapel of George A. Smith and Sons with Rev. Martin Espinoza and Rev. Reginald Curry officiating. The family will receive friends following the service at a catered reception in the Hospitality Room of George A. Smith and Sons. A private interment will be held at Union Grove Cemetery in Brownsville.
- Monica Clark (Thomas), Daughter
- Peggy Martin (Theodore), Daughter
- Carolyn Ewing (Tyrone), Daughter
- Montoya Tamakloe (Isaac), Grandchild
- Kyita Rhodes, Grandchild
- Sharronica Jackson (Eric), Grandchild
- Kistreia Robinson (David), Grandchild
- Terrance Nicholson (Darecka), Grandchild
- Marketta "Honey" Clark, Grandchild
- LeToi Patillo (Toyale), Grandchild
- Delano James (Olena), Grandchild
- Alonzo James, Grandchild
- Tyrone Ewing, Jr., Grandchild
- Aurionne Martin, Great Grandchild
- AuZhane Martin, Great Grandchild
- Briana Batchelor, Great Grandchild
- Thomas King, Great Grandchild
- Antonio Walker, Great Grandchild
- Araya Jackson, Great Grandchild
- Zaire Chapman, Great Grandchild
- Cauriel Patillo, Great Grandchild
- Anthony Garrett, Great Grandchild
- Jaileel Patillo, Great Grandchild
- Makiyah Patillo, Great Grandchild
- Delaya James, Great Grandchild
- Delano James, Jr., Great Grandchild
- Olivia James, Great Grandchild
- Ghadess Clark, Great Grandchild
- Adele Robinson, Great Grandchild
- Tyrone Ewing, III, Great Grandchild
- Lillian (Willie B.) Gray, Sister
- Natalie Wilkes, Sister
- Martha Hunt (Levi), Sister
- Forrest Shaw (Annie), Brother
- Willie Mack Shaw (Ora), Brother
- Ernestine Beard, Sister in Law
- Hubert Bradford, Devoted Cousin
- Derotha Shaw, Special Niece
- Schara Shaw, Special Great Niece
- Juanita Austin, Bonus Daughter
- and many loving nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends.
- The Memorial Service Saturday, November 10, 2018
- Catered Reception
Marjorie Shaw Nicholson
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
November 8, 2018
Prayers to Peggy, Carolyn, Monica and the entire family. Peace of God be with you in the days months and years to come. I love you all your cousin Stephanie Lulu Brown.
Carla Newman Foster
November 6, 2018
I did not know Ms. Marjorie personally, but I knew her daughters and some of the grands. I pray for the healing and comforting power of Father God to cover the family. You all are a testament to Ms. Marjorie. Peace and love abounding!
November 5, 2018
Mrs. Marjorie was a very beautiful lady and family friend. She will be greatly missed. I will continue to keep the family in my thoughts and prayers. Love each of you! May God continue to bless you doing this time of sorrow and forever more.
Sandra Chapman and Family