John Smith Stalcup
September 5, 1937 – August 16, 2019
John Stalcup passed peacefully in the early morning hours of August 16, 2019.
Visitation will be at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Kansas City, Missouri on Tuesday, August 20, 2019 from 10:00 am to 11:00, followed by a funeral service at 11:00. Interment will be in Afton, Iowa at 4:00 pm Tuesday.
John was born at home on the family farm not far from the Breezy Ridge School House just north of Afton, Iowa on September 5, 1937 to Bryan and Dora May Stalcup. He graduated from Lorimor High School in 1956. John married Lucia Jeske on Christmas Day 1960. He was honorably discharged from the US Army Reserves in 1963. John and Lucia had 4 children together, Timothy, Theresa, Brenda, and Michael.
When John and Lucia were first married he operated a Standard Oil filling station in Lorimor. The family moved to Missouri in 1978 where they resided in Gladstone. John spent his career primarily in the grain industry. He had a gift for all things mechanical and could always be counted on to find creative solutions to thorny problems. In his retirement years John enjoyed driving a School Bus and buying and selling used mobility scooters.
He is preceded in death by his parents Bryan & Dora Stalcup and Son Timothy Stalcup.
He is survived by his wife Lucia Stalcup, his children and their spouses: Theresa (Matthew) Green, Brenda (Michael) Wehmeir, and Michael Stalcup. His Grandchildren Alexandria (Robert) Haley, Christian Exposito, Marriann (Nathan) Weaver, Emma Green, Jack Green, Sarah Stalcup, and Caleb Wehmeir.
He also leaves behind brothers and Sisters: Anna (Donald) Ford, Susan (Max) Meeker, James (Linda) Stalcup, Stephen (Pat) Stalcup, Mary Belcher, Clarence “Mark” (Louise) Stalcup, and Samuel “Thad” (Eulalia) Stalcup. Brother-in-Law Zeke Jeske, and Sisters-in-Law Martha Mcauley & Waldine Greenslate. John and many nieces, nephews, and cousin’s who will miss him dearly.
In Lieu of flowers the family suggests a donation to the American Diabetes Association.
- Lucia Stalcup, Wife
- Theresa (Matthew) Green, Daughter
- Brenda (Michael) Wehmeir, Daughter
- Michael Stalcup, Son
- Alexandria (Robert) Haley, Grandchild
- Christian Exposito, Grandchild
- Marriann (Nathan) Weaver, Grandchild
- Emma Green, Grandchild
- Jack Green, Grandchild
- Sarah Stalcup, Grandchild
- Caleb Wehmeir, Grandchild
- Brothers and Sisters: Anna (Donald) Ford, Susan (Max) Meeker, James (Linda) Stalcup, Stephen (Pat) Stalcup, Mary Belcher, Clarence “Mark” (Louise) Stalcup, and Samuel “Thad” (Eulalia) Stalcup. Brother-in-Law Zeke Jeske, and Sisters-in-Law Martha Mcauley & Waldine Greenslate and nieces, nephews, and cousins
- Mark Stalcup, Pallbearer
- Mike Wehmeir, Pallbearer
- Matt Green, Pallbearer
- Christian Exposito, Pallbearer
- Jack Green, Pallbearer
- Caleb Wehmeir, Pallbearer
- American Diabetes Association
- Visitation Tuesday, August 20, 2019
- Funeral Service Tuesday, August 20, 2019
- Graveside Service Tuesday, August 20, 2019