Mamie Lee Gieringer

January 10, 1930December 2, 2018
Play Tribute Movie

Mamie Lee Gieringer, 88, of Raytown, Missouri passed away on December 2, 2018.

Mamie Lee Gieringer was born January 10th 1930 in Aldrich, Missouri to John Vance and Goldie Mae (Sutherland) Cornell.

Mamie married Charles Gieringer in 1951 and was married for 66 years. Chuck and Mamie had three children; Nancy, Larry, and Teresa; and they have five grandchildren.

Mamie was a seamstress and owned and operated her own tailor shop. She started the first Cystic Fibrosis chapter in Kansas City and was a member of the American Legion.

She was preceded in death by her daughter Nancy and son Larry. She is survived by her loving husband Charles, her daughter Teresa, her brother Albert, and her sisters Jaunita Stutzman and Lela Canaday.


  • John Vance Cornell (deceased), Father
  • Goldie Mae (Sutherland) Cornell (deceased), Mother
  • Nancy Gieringer (deceased), Daughter
  • Larry Gieringer (deceased), Son
  • Charles J. Gieringer, Husband
  • Teresa Gieringer, Daughter
  • Albert Cornell, Brother
  • Jaunita Stutzman, Sister
  • Lela Canaday, Sister


  • Memorial Visitation Tuesday, December 11, 2018
  • Memorial Service Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Mamie Lee Gieringer

have a memory or condolence to add?

Sue Beebe- Owens

December 15, 2018

Ms Mamie you were my Mom's best friend and neighbor to our family for 65 years. I was so glad to see you last time in 2017 and had a wonderful visit with you, Chuck and Teresa then. I and my family will always love you and miss you so very much. Frank misses his long walks with you too ! Many prayers to you and your family and I will always remember the wonderful years we had knowing you and your family.
Much love, Sue Beebe-Owens and family.

Sherry Moore

December 11, 2018

Mamie Lee you were my second mother. You accepted Seth and I into your family and heart and treated us like your own. I have so many fond memories and hold them all close to my heart. I love you with all my heart and will miss you dearly.

Tracy Galvin

December 10, 2018

Mamie was a kind and beautiful soul. She was so generous and raised a wonderful family. May she rest in peace.

Amy Holsapple

December 10, 2018

My most memorable thoughts are of Mamie bringing her famous banana bread (half with nuts and half without) to Larry's work. I worked with Larry from 1996 until his retirement. Mamie was the most thoughtful of mother's. Will miss her. Amy

Sharon Kyle

December 3, 2018

My heartfelt sympathy, thoughts and prayers to Mamie’s family. Mamie was a lovely lady and will certainly be missed. RIP, Mamie. Love, Sherry Kyle



December 11, 2018
Mamie Lee Gieringer, 88, of Raytown, Missouri, passed away on December 2, 2018 at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, MO.

She is survived by her husband of sixty-seven years, Chuck Gieringer; her daughter, Teresa; her brother, Albert; her sisters, Juanita Stutzman and Lela Canaday; and her five grandchildren. Mamie was preceded in death by her daughter, Nancy, and her son, Larry; her sisters, Veva and Bonnie; and her brother, Kenny.

Mamie was born on January 10, 1930 in Aldrich, MO, to John Vance and Goldie Mae (Sutherland) Cornell. Her parents and her two older sisters and brother were all born in Virginia. Then they moved to Aldrich, where Mamie was born, as well as her younger siblings. There were seven children in the Cornell family: Veva, Lela, Kenny, Mamie, Bonnie, Albert, and Juanita. She moved out of her house when she was an older teenager, and got her first job as a seamstress in Kansas City, where she shared an apartment with a friend.

Chuck and Mamie started dating when she was 15. She had first met Chuck through her sister, Lela. Mamie's family and Chuck's family had known each other for a long time. They dated for over five years before they were married. They were married on January 24, 1951. Nancy was born later in the year in October. Nancy died of cystic fibrosis in March 1954 at the age of two and a half. Soon thereafter, Mamie created the Cystic Fibrosis Chapter in Kansas City. God brought Larry into their September 1954. He, like Nancy, was born with cystic fibrosis. Two and a half years later, they adopted Teresa.

Chuck and Mamie enjoyed a close relationship. Chuck says that he wouldn't be alive today if it were not for Mamie. He credits his long life partly to Mamie's care for him. She was his best friend.

Teresa remembers her mother making her feel special. When Teresa was five, Mamie gave her a book on the chosen one, explaining that she was adopted. Mamie made it clear that she and Chuck were glad that they had made that choice. Teresa never felt like anything less than her daughter, since Mamie made her feel so special.

Mamie taught Teresa how to bake, and would have taught her how to sew, but Teresa wasn't interested in sewing. Mamie would always watch over her children, even in their teen years. One night Teresa and her friends were hanging out in the front yard. Without them knowing, Mamie had put a sheet around her body, pretending to be a ghost, and had hidden in the field behind the house. She came toward them, trying to scare them. One time Teresa had left with her brother in the car against Mamie's wishes, and Mamie went chasing after them in her car. When they arrived home, Mamie confronted her with her disobedience. Teresa denied going with Larry. She accepted Teresa's story, only to find out years later the truth, at a time when she could not correct Teresa for it. She was known to pull periodic pranks on her children. One night Teresa and her friends tied Larry up and they were going to drop him off in the cemetery. They did leave him there, but Mamie had left Larry a knife, which he used to free himself. Teresa's friend, Sherry, remarks about how Mamie included Sherry and her son, Seth, as part of her family. She reached out to all of Sherry's family. Sherry and her family felt loved by Mamie. She accepted them. She took them under her wings. She sought to protect her children and those that she considered her children and grandchildren.

Mamie was a great seamstress and owned and operated her own tailor shop. She was a member of the American Legion. She loved antiques. She loved flowers, and planted many. She was a problem solver. She took on your problems and then proceeded to solve them for you. She loved to read. She liked to play cards with her friends. She loved candy and would keep it in many parts of the house.

She and Chuck were always taking care of people. She and Chuck adopted James as their own. James was in a nursing home and lived beyond 100. They took him wherever he wanted to go and supplied him with whatever he needed. When I first became her pastor thirty-eight years ago, a young man, Norman, was living with them for about five years. They brought him to church. She also took care of her sister, Lela.

She was always generous and wanted to help others. In January 1968, Mamie saved a man's life. The Kansas City Star article (January 29, 1968) records her life-saving action: “That woman sure could drive” a 68-year-old man said as he recalled how his life was saved by a woman who didn't mind helping an injured stranger. John V. Fuller of Stanley in Johnson County suffered a wrist laceration when he accidentally fell on a glass jug almost three months ago. He is still taking therapy for his injured hand. Mrs. Charles Gieringer, Jr., ... found Fuller two miles from help on a lonely country road: Fuller said he was helping a friend on the latter's farm about two miles east of Stanley on 151st street in Johnson County. They were moving items in a barn getting ready for an auction before the friend left the farm .... when [Fuller] picked up a gallon jug, containing veterinarian medicine, Fuller caught the cuff of his pants on the shaft of one of the motors [on the barn floor]. He fell; the jug struck one of the motors, and Fuller's hand landed on the broken bottom of the jug. The glass severed two arteries and the tendons of his right wrist. Fuller said he went to his car and found a rag with which he formed a compress to try to
stop the bleeding .... Fuller then walked about 200 yards to 151st street and started walking west
towards Stanley. 'One car came along and I tried to flag him down, but he wouldn't stop,' Fuller said. 'You can't imagine how this made me feel, knowing I was bleeding to death from the severed arteries.' Mrs. Gieringer ... had been in Stilwell, south of Stanley, and was returning home when she came across Fuller. 'She passed me by,' Fuller said, 'but suddenly stopped and backed up to help me.' 'I remembered warnings by my husband about not picking up strangers,' Mrs. Gieringer said but at the moment all I saw was an elderly man who needed help, so I stopped. We headed toward Olathe, Mr. Fuller was bleeding badly. We stopped at a service station at K150 and U. S. 69 .... The service station attendant and two men in business suits helped us make a tourniquet. We made it out of a piece of inner tube and a pair of pliers. I'm sure this is what kept Mr. Fuller from bleeding to death.' Mrs. Gieringer took Fuller to the Olathe Community hospital. 'She drove 80 to 90 miles an hour,' Fuller said, 'hoping a patrolman would stop us, but there were no police around.'. At the hospital a doctor treated Fuller's wrist and told him he should get to St. Luke's hospital immediately for special care. At the hospital Mrs. Gieringer decided that as long as she, Fuller and her car were already covered with blood, she might just as well take Fuller to St. Luke's. 'Mrs, Gieringer never hesitated,' Fuller said, 'she got me back in the car and we left for St. Luke's. That woman sure could drive,' Fuller said again as he recalled her speeds up to 100 miles an hour as they drove northeast on 1-35. 'I'm not sure if I was driving 80 or 100 miles an hour,' Mrs. Gieringer said. 'The speedometer on our car is broken and it registers 120 miles an hour at all times, but I did floorboard the accelerator because I knew Mr. Fuller needed help.' Fuller said they were again hoping a patrolman would stop them so they could ask for an escort to the hospital. 'I headed toward Kansas City, but once I got into Northeast Johnson County I wasn't quite sure where I was going,' Mrs. Gieringer said. 'I sure was glad to find that patrolman' (at Lamar and U. S. 50) .... Mrs. Gieringer told the patrol-man of their problem and he escorted them to St. Luke's hospital. Fuller said Mrs. Gieringer stayed at St. Luke's until she was sure he was all right. 'She even picked up my bloody clothes and took them to my home in Stanley,' Fuller said. Fuller said Mrs. Gieringer and her husband visited him in the hospital and also at his home after he was released. Fuller said he is sure he would have bled to death if the good Samaritan had not come along." This incident which took place fifty years ago demonstrates the kind of woman Mamie was. Mamie received a medal and a certificate from the American Legion for saving his life, as well as a letter of commendation from her State Representative.

Mamie became a charter member of Blue River Bible Church in 1961. She and Chuck did so much in the early years of the church to build it. When I came to the church as pastor thirty-eight years ago, she and Chuck made me feel welcome. In these later years, I provided her with a regular list of people in the church who had needs, and she sent out cards to these people who needed encouragement. Chuck and Mamie also loved sending out Christmas cards. She considered it important to stay in touch with people.

One incident stands out so clearly in my memory. This happened about five years ago. Chuck and Mamie wanted to visit one of the members of our church from the past, and they asked me to take them there to visit him. Doug MacArthur was recovering in a rehab center in Gardner, Kansas. I went to the Gieringer home in my 2003 Pontiac Sunfire. It is not exactly what you would call a passenger car! Mamie piled into the back seat, and Chuck sat in the front passenger seat. When we arrived at the rehab center, we had a difficult time getting Mamie out of the back seat. Once she was out of the car, we all three went in to visit Doug. As we were leaving, Chuck volunteered to sit in the back seat. We didn't realize at the time that this was a real mistake! Chuck squeezed into the back seat with Mamie in the front passenger seat. When we arrived at their home, Mamie and I worked hard to get Chuck out of the back seat. We tugged and pulled, and finally got him seated on the floorboard in the back. When we tried to pull him out, we couldn't get him out because of the hanging seat belt. I think we nearly decapitated him! But finally we got him out safely. We agreed that this was an unforgettable car ride. I mentioned that we could go again and visit Doug. Chuck and Mamie were quick to say, "But next time we will take our car."

I always enjoyed my visits with Chuck and Mamie in their home, first on 147th St. and then in their home in Raytown. These monthly visits were times of great encouragement. I truly think that I received a greater blessing from my visits to them than any blessing which I brought to them. They would update me on how things were going in their lives, and we would talk about God's Word and their relationship with Christ. I know that Mamie had trusted in Jesus Christ as her Savior many years ago. Whenever I came over, Mamie would always try to serve me lunch or prepare a cake for me to take home. Chuck, Mamie, and I would always close our visits, standing and holding hands together in prayer. I will never forget these visits. In addition to the home visits, I remember times when Mamie would give money to her son, Larry, so that we could both go out to eat together for our birthdays, which were five days apart.

I must admit that Mamie was like a mother to me. Even when I recently visited Mamie in the hospital, she would pull me close to her to give her a hug, and she would give me a kiss on the cheek. When my mother died twenty years ago, she said that she would always try to take my Mom's place on Mother's Day. She would always give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek at the church door on Mother's Day.

In thirty-eight years of ministry at Blue River Bible Church, one of my closest relationships with a church family was with Chuck and Mamie. They have truly been used by God to bless my life, as she blessed so many of us here today. On August 11, 2013, we honored Mamie as one of the charter members of our church. Both she and Chuck, and their dear friends, Tom and Shirley Hilton, were honored as four of the original charter members. We thought that this was only fitting as these two couples had done so much to lay the foundation for our church.

We all miss Mamie very much. She has had a tremendous influence on our lives. But we who know Jesus as our Savior have the assurance that we will see her again in heaven. Mamie was trusting in Jesus Christ as her only Savior, and is now enjoying His presence in heaven.

--as told by Pastor Charlie Paine