October 31, 1927 – September 24, 2019
Bobbie Gilbert, 91, of Kingsport, went home to be with the Lord on September 24, 2019. She was born on October 31, 1927 in Kingsport to the late Iva G. and Fred Bowery. She served faithfully in the church beside her husband, Rev. John W. Gilbert, for over 35 years. Bobbie loved the church and her church family. She was a loving and devoted wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, who enjoyed spending time with family, especially holding her grand and great-grand babies. Bobbie and her husband leave a long and lasting legacy. One of her proudest achievements was working for the Leggs, Hanes, Bali, Playtex store. She worked there for 16 years, retiring at the age of 88. Bobbie was preceded in death by her husband, Rev. John W. Gilbert; parents, Iva G. Hawk and Fred Bowery; brother, Gary Bowery; and sister, Wilma Martin. Those left to cherish her memory include her son, Richard W. “Dickie” Gilbert and wife Elaine; daughters, Karen Fortner and husband Wayne and Lisa Robinette and Todd Bevins; grandchildren, Andy Gilbert and wife Abby, Brad Miller and wife Tammy, Todd Gilbert and wife Mandy, Tyler Miller and wife Whitney, and Olivia Bevins; great-grandchildren, Natalie, Nolan, Drew, and Mae Gilbert, Caleb, Liam, Maxwell, James, Phoebe, and Marie Miller; brother, Phil Bowery and wife Jane; and several nieces and nephews. The family will receive friends on Saturday, September 28, 2019 from 5:00 to 7:00pm at West Colonial Hills Baptist Church. A Celebration of Bobbie’s Life will follow at 7:00pm with Rev. Tyler Miller, Rev. Andy Gilbert, and Rev. Greg Cercone officiating. Special music provided by Brenda Campbell and Tony and Angela Ellis.
Online condolences may be made to the Gilbert family at www.eastlawnkingsport.com. East Lawn Funeral Home and Memorial Park has the honor of serving the Gilbert family
- Richard W. "Dickie" Gilbert & wife Elaine, Son
- Karen Fortner & husband Wayne, and Wayne, Daughter
- Lisa Robinette and Todd Bevins, Daughter
- Andy Gilbert and wife Abby, Brad Miller and wife Tammy, Todd Gilbert and wife Mandy, Tyler Miller and wife Whitney, Olivia Bevins, Grandchildren
- Natalie, Nolan, Drew, Mae Gilbert, Caleb, Liam, Maxwell, James, Phoebe, and Marie Miller, Great-Grandchildren
- Phil Bowery and wife Jane, Brother
- Several Nieces and Nephews, Family
- Rev. John W. Gilbert, Husband of Thirty-Five Years - Deceased (deceased)
- Fred Bowery & Iva G. Hawk, Parents - Deceased (deceased)
- Gary Bowery, Brother - Deceased (deceased)
- Wilma Martin, Sister - Deceased (deceased)
- Several nieces and nephews
- Visitation Saturday, September 28, 2019
- A Celebration of Life Service Saturday, September 28, 2019
September 28, 2019
Heartfelt prayers for Bobbie’s family. I worked with Bobbie at Leggs Hanes Bali Playtex. Bobbie was kind, loving and funny. She adored her family. She will be missed.
September 27, 2019
I'm so sorry, Lisa. We love you and we're sending prayers of peace and comfort for you and your family. Love, Jentry, Ashley, and Justin
Sandi Christian Rhodes
September 27, 2019
Your family is in my prayers at this difficult time. Praise God that your mom and dad are reunited once again in the arms of Jesus. They both hold a special place in my heart as I remember your dad leading me to faith in Jesus Christ as a 10 year old.
September 26, 2019
We thought Bobby was such a wonderful lady. We loved her and will miss her.