Julius Dicky

December 31, 1928October 1, 2020

Julius “Jay” Dicky was born in a farmhouse in North Tonawanda, NY, on New Year’s Eve, Dec. 31, 1928. His parents, Nicholaus and Anastasia Dicky immigrated to the USA in the early 1900’s from the Ukraine. Together they raised 10 children in that little farmhouse. Jay is number 8 in the birth order.

The war was over by the time he turned 18, so he joined the Navel Reserve, but never got called to active duty. Around age 20 he got a job with American Airlines in Buffalo, NY., working in ticketing sales.

Jay had big dreams and decided to leave New York at age 22. He drove across the country in the early 1950’s to California. He ended up in Los Angeles, where he pursued music and singing at El Camino Community College. He was able to transfer his job to the downtown Los Angeles American Airlines sales office and continued on as a ticketing agent. He had many stories of how ticketing was done before the internet. He made many lifelong friends at American Airlines, and frequently attended reunions with his group for many years.

During this time while working in LA, he met Joyce Charchun, a newly graduated RN from Edmonton, Canada. She came to LA in 1959 with some girlfriends to get work experience and have an adventure. They both lived in apartment complexes across the street from each other, however, Joyce’s place had a pool… so, Jay and his buddies would often go over to “checkout the pool”.

Jay fell in love with the Eastern Sierras when he went fishing and hunting with friends. He loved it so much, he decided to quit American Airlines (after 10 years) and moved to Mammoth and worked at Mammoth Mountain. He was an excellent downhill skier. While working there he would venture off to Bridgeport for more fishing and hunting. When the Atlantic Richfield service station came up for sale, he jumped at the chance to buy his own business. He bought it on April 1, 1961. Meanwhile, he still pursued a relationship with Joyce.

They got married on October 21, 1961 in Derwent, Alberta Canada on a clear day with a fresh new layer snow on the ground. This Oct. 21st marks their 59th anniversary. After that, they settled down in Bridgeport, where Jay ran his service station and Joyce worked at Mono County General Hospital.

In 1962 their son David was born, and Diane came along in 1965. Together they raised their kids in a small town, with good Christian values, and lots of hard work. During their 26 years in Bridgeport Jay was very active with the Lion’s Club. He got his private pilot’s license and was in a flying club in Bridgeport. He also worked part time with the Bank of America as a courier driving documents for the bank to Gardnerville NV, 5 days a week.

After 26 years of running his business, he decided that the winters were too harsh in Bridgeport and he was tired of the cold and the snow. Joyce retired from the hospital, they sold their house and the business, and moved to San Luis Obispo in the fall of 1987. While Diane was attending Cal Poly University, they would visit her and really loved the climate and the “small town” atmosphere that SLO provided. And, there was no snow to shovel! So, they bought a home and have been there ever since.

In his retirement years, Jay could never sit still and be idle. He continued his courier job with the bank, and often stopped along his route to feed his favorite horse an apple or two. He loved gardening and had a nice little side business doing gardening for elderly friends. He joined the Cuesta College Master Chorale and did many performances at the Cal Poly Performing Arts Center. Jay continued on with the San Luis Obispo Lion’s Club and also joined the Elks Lodge. He and Joyce loved to travel and took many cruises and even made it to Australia & New Zealand. They frequently travelled back to the Buffalo, NY area, where all of his family remained. He also loved his little gambling trips to the Chumash Indian Casino. The slots were always beckoning him to play!

Jay was very devoted to God and St. Anne’s Byzantine Catholic Church, where he helped out with sausage making, recycling, gardening, making the Sunday morning coffee and treasury duties.

David and his wife, Elizabeth have 3 children, Madison 23, Matthew 19, & Michael 17. Diane and her husband Mark Lepore have 3 children, Ryan 26, Alyssa 23 & Daniel 23. Jay loved spending time with his 6 grandchildren and was always teaching them new card games. However, Grandpa Jay was a very fierce competitor and took winning pretty seriously. They were very proud when they could beat grandpa at cards!

In Jay’s late 80’s he suffered from a few falls in which he broke a hip and then broke a hip replacement. It was necessary for him to be cared for at Mission View Health Center. On Oct 1st, 2020, the Lord called him home at the age of 91.

Joyce and the family would like to thank you all for your support and prayers, it is very comforting at this time.


  • Ryan Lepore
  • Daniel Lepore
  • Matthew Dicky
  • Michael Dicky


  • Visitation

    Friday, October 9, 2020

  • Prayer Service

    Friday, October 9, 2020

  • Funeral Service

    Saturday, October 10, 2020


Julius Dicky

have a memory or condolence to add?


Learn more about the Dicky name