Nellie Jo Hendrick
November 30, 1917 – June 30, 2018
Nellie Jo (Nell) Hendrick of Lubbock, Texas passed away June 30, 2018 at the age of 100. She was born November 30, 1917 in Elbert, Texas to Joel Allen Kendrick and Mildred Coleman Kendrick.
Nellie Jo graduated from Albany High School in 1935. She married Cecil Hendrick on May 24, 1936 in Anson, Texas by Judge Omar Burleson, who later became a U.S. Representative. During the war Cecil did defense work and they and moved from place to place. In 1947 the family moved to Lubbock.
In 1957 Nellie Jo and Cecil became charter builders of the newly formed Lubbock Christian College. In 1968 she went to work at the Texas Tech bookstore, where she worked for eleven years. During that time she was an active member in the Lubbock chapter of the American Business Woman’s Association. She was also a long-standing member of the LCU Associates.
After retiring from the bookstore, she enjoyed square dancing, traveling, and participating in family celebrations. Nellie Jo was a member of the Church of Christ all of her life, and she was the oldest member of Sunset Church of Christ.
Surviving family members include her children, Sherry Hendrick Ables of Lubbock, Dane Hendrick (Cathy) of Lubbock, and Charlotte Hendrick Keefe (Don) of Taos, New Mexico. Grandchildren include Pat Ables (Donna) of Lubbock, Jubie Ables of Lubbock, Marc Hendrick (Kim) of Acworth, Georgia, and Misty Armstrong (Bart) of Olathe, Kansas. Great grandchildren include Amber Weatherford, Sean Ables, Paul Ables, Blakelee Kemp, Bradie Armstrong, Kennedy Armstrong, Andie Armstrong, Luke Kelley, Landry Hendrick, and Kate Hendrick. Great-great grandchildren are Payton Ables, Cooper Ables and Addison Weatherford.
She was preceded in death by her mother, father, husband, sister’s Verna Emanuel and Bettie Townsend, and great-great grandson Brandt Ables.
A visitation will be held at Resthaven Funeral Home on Monday, July 9, 2018 from 6:30-8 PM. Funeral Service will be Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 1:00 PM at Resthaven’s Abbey Chapel.
Online condolences may be offered at www.resthavenfuneralhome.com.
- Joel Allen and Mildred Lena Kendrick, Parents
- Cecil Hendrick, Husband
- Verna Emanuel and Bettie Townsend, Sisters
- Brandt Ables, Great-great-grandson
- Sherry Hendrick Ables, Dane Hendrick (Cathy), and Charlotte Hendrick Keefe (Don), Children
- Pat Ables (Donna), Jubie Ables, Marc Hendrick (Kim), and Misty Armstrong (Bart), Grandchildren
- Amber Weatherford, Sean Ables, Paul Ables, Blakelee Kemp, Bradie Armstrong, Kennedy Armstrong, Andie Armstrong, Luke Kelley, Landry Hendrick and Kate Hendrick, Great-grandchildren
- Payton Ables, Cooper Ables and Addison Weatherford, Great-great-grandchildren
- Pat Ables
- Marc Hendrick
- Sean Ables
- Paul Ables
- Bart Armstrong
- Devin Weatherford
- Visitation Monday, July 9, 2018
- Funeral Service Tuesday, July 10, 2018