Mr. Joel Thomas Gray
December 24, 1926 – August 6, 2018
Joel was born on December 24, 1926 in Wills Point and entered into eternal rest in Mabank, Texas on August 6, 2018. Joel was preceded in death by his parents Eugene and Ruby Gray, first wife Gladys Hyde, baby boy Gray, brothers and sister-in-laws Ralph and Dorothy Gray and Lewis and Aileen Gray.
He was a long time resident of Mabank, a graduate of Mabank High School in 1943. He was a veteran of WWII, serving in the Navy in Wake Island, earning three battle stars. He was honorably discharged in 1946. Joel later married his sweetheart Gladys in 1948. They lived in Dallas for almost 20 years. He worked for the Universal Corporation, then later for Manas Bakery and Safeway Food Stores as a truck driver, earning the One Million Mile Safety Award. Betty Jo, their only daughter, was born in 1953. She’s gifted and talented and a pleasure to be around. The family moved back home in 1967 and built their home on FM 47. They joined the First Baptist Church of Mabank shortly afterwards, where he served as a deacon and teacher of young boys for many years. He took on another job after retirement as a cattleman. After 47 years of marriage, Gladys passed away. In 1998 Joel Came riding up on a green John Deere tractor and stole Elizabeth’s heart. They married on August 9, 1998. Looking back on his life he was proudest of Gladys and Betty Jo, his home, his church, his distinguished career and Elizabeth.
He is survived by his wife Elizabeth, daughter Betty Gray and husband Wesley McGlaun, only sister Wynonia Brewer, brother Kenneth Gray and wife Margaret, sister-in-law Janey Crow, brother-in-law J.C. Crow, nieces; Nancy DuBose, Beverly Fulfer, Peggy Broyles and Marcie Crow, nephews; John W. Crow and Bill Crow, along with Gladys’ family and longtime friends.
- Eugene and Ruby Gray, Parents
- Gladys Gray, First Wife
- Baby Boy Gray, Son
- Ralph and Dorothy Gray, Brother and Sister-in-law
- Lewis and Aileen Gray, Brother and Sister-in-law
- Janey Crow, Sister-in-law
- J.C. Crow, Brother-in-law
- Elizabeth Gray, Loving Wife
- Betty Gray and Wesley McGlaun, Daughter and Husband
- Wynonia Brewer, Sister
- Kenneth Gray and Margaret, Brother and Wife
- Nancy DuBose, Beverly Fulfer, Peggy Broyles and Marcie Crow, Nieces
- John W. Crow and Bill Crow, Nephews
- Billy also leaves behind Gladys' family and many longtime friends.
- Deacons of First Baptist Church , Pallbearer
- Visitation Thursday, August 9, 2018
- Funeral Service Friday, August 10, 2018
- Graveside Service Friday, August 10, 2018
Mr. Joel Thomas Gray
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
receive updates when new memories are postedRECEIVE UPDATES