Mr. Willie Cecil Hammer
November 21, 1928 – March 10, 2019
Willie Cecil Hammer of Dallas, Texas, passed away on March 10, 2019 at the age of 90. Born in 1928 in Eustace, Texas to Clyde and Willie Hammer, Willie graduated from Eustace High School in 1945. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy at age 17, serving for three years before a four year tour of duty in the U.S. Air Force.
Upon completion of service, Willie married the love of his life, Helen Chambers, of Henderson County, Texas on July 24, 1954. They began their new life in Dallas, where he attended Southern Methodist University at night, graduating with a B.B.A. in 1957. He became a licensed Certified Public Accountant the same year. After his initial employment in public accounting, Willie spent eight years at Tecon Corporation before beginning a career of entrepreneurship in real estate. He successfully completed numerous land development projects over the last five decades, with a focus on lake front property throughout Texas. Willie’s life was filled with the love of his wife of sixty four years, his two daughters and five grandchildren. He cherished spending time with family, particularly on summer beach vacations with the whole family to Destin or South Padre Island. Willie was a firm believer in education and hard work, instilling those values in his children and grandchildren. He was a man of quiet faith and longtime member of Lovers Lane United Methodist Church. Willie’s second love in life was flying. He was an accomplished instrument rated multi-engine pilot, with over 9,000 hours of accident free flight time. He successfully completed his last solo flight on his 90th birthday. Willie was also an avid, lifelong reader.
He is preceded in death by his parents, Clyde Cecil Hammer and Willie Hammer, brother Johnny Clyde Hammer, and sister Alene Sciba.
He is survived by his wife, Helen, brother Harold Hammer and wife Nancy, sister Joyce Salter, his two daughters, Karen Hammer Wheeler and husband Jerry, Diane Hammer Krist and husband Kevin, and five grandchildren, Jacqueline Wheeler Davis and husband Ross, John Christopher Wheeler and wife Taylor, Austin Hammer Krist, Connor David Krist, and Matthew Mackenzie Wheeler, along with numerous nieces and nephews.
- Clyde Cecil Hammer and Willie Hammer, Parents
- Johnny Clyde Hammer, Brother
- Alene Sciba, Sister
- Helen Hammer, Loving Wife
- Harold Hammer and wife Nancy, Brother
- Joyce Salter, Sister
- Karen Hammer Wheeler and husband Jerry, Daughter
- Diane Hammer Krist and husband Kevin, Daughter
- Willie also leaves behind his grandchildren; Jacqueline Wheeler Davis and husband Ross, John Christopher Wheeler and wife Taylor, Austin Hammer Krist, Connor David Krist and Matthew Mackenzie Wheeler, along with numerous nieces and nephews, other loving family members and many more lifelong friends.
- Celebration of Life Friday, March 15, 2019
- Reception After Service Friday, March 15, 2019