John G. Williams

October 18, 1934May 27, 2018
Play Tribute Movie Play Tribute Movie

John G. Williams, 83, of Mechanicsville, passed away on Sunday, May 27, 2018. He was preceded in death by his parents, Harry and Nellie Williams; and sister, Constance Williams. Left to cherish his memory are his wife of 62 years, Judith Williams; daughter, Janice Childress of Midlothian; son, Douglas Williams (Sandy) of Mechanicsville; three grandchildren, David Henry II (Michelle), Tommy Henry (Courtney), and Bethany Williams; five great granddaughters, Dani, Alex, Brianna, Savanna, and Sadie Henry; as well as many nieces and nephews. John was born in Richmond, Va. on October 18, 1934. He graduated from John Marshall High School in 1953. John served in the Air Force from 1955 to 1959. He did sheet metal work and was Vice President of Stromberg Metal Works from 1983 until he retired in 1999. John then took up woodworking and did beautiful work. He was a member of Henry Volunteer Fire Department, Company 6, and he attended Fairmount Christian Church. The family will receive friends on Thursday, May 31, from 4 to 8 p.m. at Woody Funeral Home, 9271 Shady Grove Road, Mechanicsville, Va. 23116, where a funeral service will be held on Friday at 10 a.m. Interment will follow in Washington Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Fairmount Christian Church.


  • Visitation Thursday, May 31, 2018
  • Funeral Service Friday, June 1, 2018
  • Interment Friday, June 1, 2018

John G. Williams

have a memory or condolence to add?



When someone is identified as a natural leader, certain images come to mind. First thoughts are of a no-nonsense, tough-minded, dedicated and disciplined person. This description accurately fits John G. Williams who was indeed a born manager. He will be remembered as being highly organized, practical and realistic. He was a person who always carried a strong sense of duty with him throughout his life. Possessed with traditional “old school” morals, John was an individual who clearly communicated to those around him just who he was and what he was all about. Everyone acquainted with John knew him as a well-respected man who was a stable force in his community.

       His parents were Harry and Nellie Belle. John was raised in Richmond, Virginia. Even as a youngster, John learned to be objective and decisive. His faith in the principles of authority and dependability was something that he carried with him throughout his life.

      As a young boy, John was able to put his natural abilities to work. He was a bit like the sergeant of the family, helping to make sure that the others did what they should do and that they avoided those things they weren’t supposed to. In other words, he liked to organize and direct. John was raised with one sibling. He had a sister, Constance. John had an inborn appreciation for the order in the family, allowing for the oldest members to be the most respected and to take on the most responsibility. For John, this was a natural order of life, one he gladly embraced.

      John's matter-of-fact attitude about most things was developed during his childhood. As a young boy, John enjoyed being part of teams, and organizations and groups of other kids who shared similar interests. John took part in track in high school. He was a Boy Scout. In his spare time he liked hunting, fishing, and playing cards.

      In school, John was as close to being a model student as one could possibly imagine. He sought to achieve perfect attendance in all of his classes. He would eagerly complete his homework, and often put in extra study time when he felt it was necessary. A logical and focused thinker, John was always good at following directions and meeting his schedules, whether they were set by his teachers or were self-imposed. John’s personal motto could well have been, “Do it right the first time.” He graduated from John Marshall High School in 1953. He enjoyed some courses more than others, having favorite classes and teachers. His favorite class in high school was shop, which he attended for half of the day.

      John was sociable and approachable. Because he was always so straightforward in how he approached relationships, friends and family knew that what they saw was always what they got. He enjoyed the camaraderie of being with a group of friends. When John was a member of a group, his interaction worked to keep the others grounded. He wasn’t afraid to confront his friends and, when necessary, he challenged them to stick to the task at hand. Those close to John came to expect his high standards of performance. While growing up, some of his best friends were Charlie Norman and Gordon Kirby. Later in life, he became friends with Edward Seay.

      An objective and conscientious individual, John reveled in the security of his family. On September 10, 1956 John exchanged wedding vows with Judith Southward at the Fairmount Christian Church in Richmond, Virginia. One of John’s most endearing qualities was his uncanny ability to remember important dates and anniversaries, and his unending enthusiasm for organizing a celebration for his family and friends.

      John was ever watchful of his children. He worried about them and was deeply concerned for their development as they grew up. He maintained a firm hand in their upbringing. John would give his stamp of approval to their requests, as long as he could see how they might benefit. He also had the ability to enforce the rules as needed to ensure that his children were properly raised. John was blessed with two children, one son, Doug, and one daughter, Jan. They were also blessed with three grandchildren, Bethany, Tommy, and David; and five great granddaughters, Dani, Alex, Brianna, Savanna, and Sadie Henry.

      Being a hard worker who praised efficiency, John was always striving to make improvements where they were necessary. He was able to analyze situations and problems, keeping everything and everyone on track. An excellent project supervisor, John was a person who could quickly make decisions based on the information available. He worked cooperatively and expected the same from his colleagues. In both his personal and professional environments, John upheld his standards. His primary occupation was vice president of Stromberg Metal Works. He was employed for 17 years by Stromberg Metal Works where he built air systems. John was a team player who certainly lived out the motto of “give me a job, and I will get it done.”

      John was an Air Force veteran. His sense of duty helped lead him into the military where his understanding of rank, his willingness to abide by rules and regulations and his desire to follow orders was admired by his fellow service men and women. He was in the Air Force from 1955 to 1959 and spent one year in Korea. Through his hard work and dedication, he achieved the rank of First Class. He received several awards recognizing his for his heroism, including Airman of the Year.

      John approached his leisure time in the same manner that he approached his life. A person who enjoyed being neat and orderly and one who understood the nature of things, he appreciated the hours he was able to devote to his various hobbies. His favorite pursuits were woodworking, hunting, and gardening. John was content to enjoy his favorite pastimes alone but was also willing to share his interests with others.

      Playing by the rules was a natural thing for John to do in life and that carried over to his enjoyment of sports. In high school, John participated in track. He also was something of a sports fan and enjoyed watching his favorite events whenever he got the opportunity. Top on his list was basketball.

      Being generous with his time and energy, John liked to belong to a variety of groups and organizations. He was a vocal leader who enjoyed being a part of things. His desire to uphold traditions and his ability to take charge of any type of project made him a tremendous asset. Throughout his later years, John was an active member of the Moose Lodge and The Hunt Club.

      A civic-minded person, John was usually ready to jump in and help with community activities. He was the type of person who could masterfully organize events and projects and then see to it that they were run in an efficient and timely manner. John was a member of several community groups, including volunteering with the Hanover fire department. During these years, John applied his analytical intellect to problem solving and so was an asset on most committees.

      Faith was important to John. He held high moral standards and was worried about the moral decay he saw around him. For that reason he held deep spiritual beliefs that he was willing to share. He was a member of Fairmount Christian Church.

      When it came time to travel or take a vacation, John used his scheduling expertise to make sure everyone and everything was ready to go. That also meant that he made certain no single person was overworked in putting the trip together. John had a knack for making sure that everyone who was involved had their specific tasks and that those tasks were completed. Favorite vacations included cruises to the Carribean and Alaska, as well as a trip to San Francisco and Hawaii.

            When John’s retirement finally arrived in 1999, he was well prepared. He used his critical evaluation skills to make sure that every detail had been preplanned and attended to. In retirement, he found new pleasure in woodworking and playing cards. In many ways, John loved retirement. It provided him with the opportunity to catch up with his friends, attend functions and group outings, and tackle new interesting activities.

      John passed away on May 27, 2018 at Memorial Regional Medical Center in Mechanicsville, Virginia. John passed due to septic shock from kidney disease. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Judith Williams; daughter, Janice Childress of Midlothian; son, Douglas Williams (Sandy) of Mechanicsville; three grandchildren, David Henry II (Michelle), Tommy Henry (Courtney), and Bethany Williams; five great granddaughters, Dani, Alex, Brianna, Savanna, and Sadie Henry; as well as many nieces and nephews. Services were held at Woody Funeral Home - Atlee Chapel. John was laid to rest in Washington Memorial Park in Sandston, Virginia.

      All who knew him would agree that John was a pillar of the community. He lived his life with his feet firmly on the ground. He had a strong work ethic, was pragmatic in his thoughts and acts, and constantly sought the means for self-improvement. He was willing to share his ideas and knowledge for the benefit of others, so that they could accomplish more in their lives. John G. Williams did his best to ensure that his family, friends, loved ones, co-workers, and everyone whose life he touched was given the chance to become a better person.