Ira A. Cunningham, Sr.
December 12, 1927 – August 29, 2019
Ira A. Cunningham, Sr. passed away on Thursday, August 29, 2019 at the age of 91, son of the late Mildred A. Johnson and the late Ira J. Cunningham. Married to the late Theresa Del Rio Mayeau. They had four sons, Terry, Ira, Jr., and the late Bruce A. and Gary J. Cunningham, three grandchildren, Brent A. Cunningham, Zachary F. Cunningham, Shelby L. Cunningham, and step-granddaughter, Vivi Trahn, he is also survived by numerous nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends. Ira had four sisters, Mildred Garon of Mandeville, the late Rita Boudreaux of Metairie, the late Alethia Toal of Jackson, and the late Cecelia Cunningham of New Orleans, one sister in-law, the late Wyone Sprague of Kenner.
Ira was a World War II Navy veteran. After being discharged from the Navy, he went to work for B&C Supermarkets, Inc. as an apprentice meat cutter. He worked for B&C for 42 years, where he worked his way up to becoming Vice President for a period of time before he retired at age 62. The thing he liked doing most was going fishing with his sons and friends. He was born in New Orleans and lived in Metairie until his passing.
Relatives and friends of the family are invited to attend the Funeral Service at Leitz-Eagan Funeral Home, 4747 Veterans Memorial Blvd., Metairie, Louisiana on Wednesday, September 4, 2019. Friends may visit from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., the Funeral Service will begin at 11:00 a.m. Interment will follow in Garden of Memories Cemetery, 4900 Airline Drive, Metairie, Louisiana. The online guest registry is available at www.leitzeaganfuneralhome.com.
- Mildred A. Johnson, Mother (deceased)
- Ira J. Cunningham, Father (deceased)
- Theresa Del Rio Mayeau, Wife (deceased)
- Terry Cunningham, Son
- Ira Cunningham, Jr., Son
- Bruce A. Cunningham, Son (deceased)
- Gary J. Cunningham, Son (deceased)
- Brent A. Cunningham, Grandchild
- Zachary F. Cunningham, Grandchild
- Shelby L. Cunningham, Grandchild
- Vivi Trahn, Step Grandchild
- He is also survived by numerous nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends. Ira had four sisters, Mildred Garon of Mandeville, the late Rita Boudreaux of Metairie, the late Alethia Toal of Jackson, and the late Cecelia Cunningham of New Orleans, one sister in-law, the late Wyone Sprague of Kenner.
- Visitation Wednesday, September 4, 2019
- Funeral Service Wednesday, September 4, 2019
- Rite of Committal Wednesday, September 4, 2019
Ira A. Cunningham, Sr.
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
Barry B Holzenthal
September 3, 2019
So sorry to hear about the passing of Mr. C, as I grew up calling him... I graduated from St Aloysius with Bruce and lived with him at Southeastern and afterwards at our apartment in the Mark Twain Apartments... as Bruce did with my Dad, so did I with Mr. C...we shared and enjoyed them both... I'm glad that Mr. C lived a long and seemed to be fruitful life...even dealing with tremendous heartaches... He was a wonderful, funny, caring, Dad and MAN and will be greatly missed I'm sure... Prayers for the family and friends, Sincerely, Barry B Holzenthal