January 15, 1950 – January 10, 2020
Joseph Anthony “Tony” Madrid age 69, of Midland, Texas passed away peacefully Friday, January 10, 2020. Tony was born in Ysleta, (El Paso County), Texas on January 15, 1950 to Ignacio and Rosa Berru Madrid.
He was raised in Fabens, Texas and graduated from Fabens High School. Tony attended and graduated from Sul Ross University in Alpine, Texas with a Bachelor of Science, Drivers Education, and Master of Education degrees. Tony’s first teaching job was in Alpine, Texas where he taught Elementary children and drove a school bus. Tony then moved to Midland in 1973 to work at MISD in Elementary Ed. Tony remained there until his retirement in 2017. Tony taught Driver’s Ed in Midland for over 40 years. Tony met “BJ” Betty Jo Barrett while teaching at Pease Elementary and they married on July 17, 1977. Into their marriage they welcomed two energetic children; Cody and Corey.
Tony was a vivacious, energetic, mischievous man who loved to laugh and have a good time. He was a devoted husband to BJ for 42 years. He loved his family and neighbors.
Tony is survived by his wife, BJ Madrid, two children; son, Cody Barrett Berru Madrid (fiancé Amanda) of Sterling, City, Texas and son, Corey Barrett Berru Madrid of Midland, Texas and one awesome granddaughter, Sadie Zoe Madrid; brother, Ignacio “Shorty” Madrid, Jr. (Sophia); sisters, Amelia Anderson (Martin); Anna Goode (John); Rebeca Madrid; Lourdes Pittenger (George); Emma Jo Lackie (Devin); Lisa Madrid; sister-in-law, Alicia Madrid; nieces, nephews and many lifelong friends.
Tony is preceded in death by his parents, Ignacio Sr. & Rosa Madrid; sister, Maria Rellinger and brother, Benjamin Madrid.
Visitation will be Tuesday, January 14, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Ellis Funeral Home, Midland, Texas with graveside service in Sterling City, Texas, Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. with Reverend Jim Noble of St. Luke’s UMC of San Angelo, officiating.
In lieu of flowers memorial donations can be made to Sterling County VFD P.O. Box 577, Sterling City, Texas 76951 or a charity of your choice.
Pallbearers will be Benny Madrid, Richard Madrid, Shawn Rellinger, David Rellinger, Nick Madrid, Shorty Radde, Tim F. Sanders, and Tomas Jose Sexton.
Honorary Pallbearers will be Billy Perez, Robert Diaz, Abel Abundez, George Lara, Rafael Hernandez, Michael Hardin, and KC Gore.
- Ignacio Madrid Sr., Father (deceased)
- Rosa Berru Madrid, Mother (deceased)
- "BJ" Betty Jo Barrett, Wife
- Cody Barrett Berru Madrid, Son
- Corey Barrett Berru Madrid, Son
- Sadie Zoie Madrid, Granddaughter
- Ignacio "Shorty" Madrid Jr. and wife Sophia, Brother
- Amelia Anderson and husband Martin, Sister
- Anna Goode and husband John, Sister
- Rebecca Madrid, Sister
- Lourdes Pittenger abd husband George, Sister
- Emma Jo Jackie and husband Devin, Sister
- Lisa Madrid, Sister
- Alicia Madrid, Sister-in-law
- Maria Rellinger, Sister (deceased)
- Benjamin Madrid, Brother (deceased)
- Mr. Madrid also leaves behind nieces, nephews and many lifelong friends to cherish his memory.
- Benny Madrid
- Richard Madrid
- Shawn Rellinger
- David Rellinger
- Nick Madrid
- Shorty Radde
- Tim F. Sanders
- Thomas Jose Sexton
- Billy Perez, Honorary Pallbearer
- Robert Diaz, Honorary Pallbearer
- Abel Abundez, Honorary Pallbearer
- George Lara, Honorary Pallbearer
- Rafael Hernandez, Honorary Pallbearer
- Michael Hardin, Honorary Pallbearer
- KC Gore, Honorary Pallbearer
- Visitation Tuesday, January 14, 2020
- Graveside Service Wednesday, January 15, 2020
January 20, 2020
Best guy ever. Thank you for being a great friend to the Garrett family. Darryl was my ex husband.
January 14, 2020
REST IN PEACE CHAMPIE..I HAVE BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES GROWING UP WITH YOUR FAMILY IN EL PAPALOTE IN FABENS.
MY CONDOLENCES TO ALL THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
January 14, 2020
I know exactly what to say about my neighbor, friend, mentor and who I consider another father. He was, no is the kindest and most jovial of men that I was blessed to know. From a child to adulthood in my life he never changed. Funny and helpful to not only my family but the same to the countless lives he touched. I will always love him. KC Gore
January 13, 2020
A great awesome man. You will be missed. Mi comp RIP love you.
January 12, 2020
The most generous and caring man I ever met.
January 12, 2020
What a great guy! He was my favorite boss! Rest In Peace.....