James Wilbur Hartman Jr.
September 8, 1934 – January 5, 2019
James Wilbur Hartman, Jr., 84, native and lifelong resident of Mobile, Alabama, passed away on Saturday, January 5, 2019. Jim was retired of the United States Naval Reserves and worked in Insurance Sales for over 40 years. He was a seafood entrepreneur – well known for his gumbo and boiled crawfish. Jim was a graduate of Auburn and a diehard fan, a lifelong outdoorsman, and an avid runner. He had never missed a single Azalea Trail Run, participating in all 41. He was a loving father and grandfather, and was completely devoted to his family. Jim was an amazing soul – he is loved and will be greatly missed. Jim was preceded in death by his parents, James Wilbur Hartman, Sr. and Marietta Starke Hartman; and two sisters, Marietta Hartman Yeend and Carol Ann Hartman Davis. He is survived by his six children: James Wilbur Hartman, III (Cathy), Brenda Hartman Connell (Mark), Elizabeth Hartman Durrett, William Joseph Hartman (Kathryn), John Oliver Hartman (Stacey) and Mary Denise Hartman Espiritu (Troy); fourteen grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; as well as many nieces, nephews, and other cherished family and lifelong friends. Visitation will be held from 9 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. in the Marian Center at St. Ignatius Catholic Church on Wednesday, January 9, 2019, with a Mass of Christian Burial following immediately in the church. Interment will be in Pine Crest Cemetery on Dauphin Island Parkway. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Wounded Warrior Project. The family would like to extend the utmost gratitude to Martin Lester for his dear friendship and the excellent medical care given to Jim throughout the years, and in the past few months when he was needed most.
- James Wilbur Hartman, III and Cathy Hartman, Son and Daughter-in-law
- Brenda Hartman Connell and Mark Connell, Daughter and Son-in-law
- Elizabeth Hartman Durrett, Daughter
- William Joseph Hartman and Kathryn Hartman, Son and Daughter-in-law
- John Oliver Hartman and Stacey Hartman, Son and Daughter-in-law
- Mary Denise Hartman Espiritu and Troy Espiritu, Daughter and Son-in-law
- Mr. Hartman is also survived by fourteen grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; as well as many nieces, nephews, and other cherished family and lifelong friends.
- Visitation Wednesday, January 9, 2019
- Mass of Christian Burial Wednesday, January 9, 2019
- Committal Service Wednesday, January 9, 2019
James Wilbur Hartman Jr.
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
January 8, 2019
To the children of Mr. Hartman,
May you cherish the memories of your dad and may those memories and your faith in God help you endure your grief. He will always be with you in those memories, and you may not be able to see him, but you can still talk to him and you know he will be watching over you. May God bless all of you.
January 7, 2019
To Jimmy, Brenda, Beth, Joseph, John and Mary Denise; I am so sorry to hear of Jimmy's passing. Jimmy was always a friend and helpful to me through his business. He was a great example to me for how he loved his family and his dedication to leading a full and joyful life. His model of love, energy and enthusiasm was an inspiration to me. I know you will all miss him. Know you are in my prayers. With Love, Bill Davis