Alfred J. Leger
March 12, 1944 – June 28, 2018
Alfred J. “Fred” Leger, 74, of New Bedford, passed away on Thursday, June 28, 2018 at St. Luke’s Hospital. He was the husband of Jeannine (Cassey) Leger with whom he shared 53 years of marriage.
Born in New Bedford, the son of the late Alfred J. and Albina (Fortin) Leger, he was a lifelong resident of the city.
Mr. Leger was the owner of Alfred J. Leger Painting and Contracting for 34 years, retiring in 2008.
He enjoyed traveling, cooking, playing the guitar, country music, entertaining and playing cards. Alfred loved the company of his family, especially his grandchildren.
Surviving in addition to his wife are his children, Gerald Leger and his wife Kelly of Dartmouth, Christine Pepin and her husband Robert of Rochester, Lisa Pereira and her companion Sam Brown of New Bedford and Michelle Amaral and her husband Rui of New Bedford; nine grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by three sisters, Irene Boulay, Marie Sweeney and Theresa Bowman.
Visiting hours will be held on Monday, July 2, 2018 from 5-8 p.m. in the ROCK Funeral Home, 1285 Ashley Blvd., New Bedford. Funeral Mass, Tuesday at 10 a.m. in Our Lady of Guadalupe at St. James Church, 233 County St., New Bedford followed by burial in Pine Grove Cemetery. For online tributes please visit: www.rock-funeralhome.com
- The late Alfred J. Leger, Father
- The late Albina (Fortin) Leger, Mother
- Jeannine (Cassey) Leger, Wife
- Gerald Leger & his wife Kelly, Son
- Christine Pepin & her husband Robert, Daughter
- Lisa Pereira & her companion Sam Brown, Daughter
- Michelle Amaral & her husband Rui, Daughter
- He is also survived by nine grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by three sisters, Irene Boulay, Marie Sweeney and Theresa Bowman.
- Visitation Monday, July 2, 2018
- Funeral Mass Tuesday, July 3, 2018
- Interment Tuesday, July 3, 2018
Alfred J. Leger
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
receive updates when new memories are postedRECEIVE UPDATES
July 2, 2018
Fred had a way of lighting up a room - always joking, laughing and smiling. So many happy memories during my childhood years. He will be sorely missed and remembered fondly by everyone who knew him!
With all our love and heartfelt prayers... Lisa, Rich, Abigail and Cassandra
June 30, 2018
Sending my love and deepest sympathies to the Leger family. I will cherish all the memories of times shared on Plymouth Street over the many years. I will never forget Mr. Leger's passion for cooking and love of country music! He lives on in all our hearts....May you find comfort in knowing he is at peace.....