Helen Darby Courrege
June 9, 1921 – October 4, 2021
NEW IBERIA – A Celebration of Life Gathering will be held for Helen Darby Courrege, age 100, on Friday, October 8, 2021 from 4:00 pm until 8:00 pm at Evangeline Funeral Home of New Iberia. Interment will be held privately at a later date.
A native and resident of New Iberia, Mrs. Courrege passed away on Monday, October 4, 2021 at her residence with her family by her side.
Helen Courrege was the last surviving sibling of 13 children. She loved to dance, paint, and do arts and crafts. She took things you would normally throw away to make yard art out of it, such as building things like birdhouses and miniature houses from popsicle sticks. She loved her family and spent as much time with them as possible. Helen adored her grandkids and was so excited to become a great grandmother! She was a great storyteller and would sit for hours telling stores to anyone that would listen, especially her grandkids. As she got older, she could not hear well, so she would make up great story lines about what she was watching on TV, even though it was not related to the actual story line!
Mrs. Courrege is survived by her son, Jack Joseph Courrege, of New Iberia; grandchildren, Brandon L. Courrege and his wife Averie of New Iberia, Alexis N. Courrege of Lihue, HI, Jeremy P. Courrege of New Iberia; great granddaughter, Ellia A. Courrege of New Iberia; and 2 special nieces, Carrie Darby Dore of New Iberia, and Linda Clements Verret of New Iberia.
Mrs. Courrege was preceded in death by husband Lucien Simon Courrege; parents, St. Mark “Semar” Darby and Carrie Stephens Darby; and 12 siblings, Jimmy Darby, Monroe Darby, Jessie Cole, Alice Bourgeois, Nellie Mouret, Clarence Darby, St. Mark Pete Darby, Anna Lee Bienemann, Francis Darby, Lizzie Leleux, Louise Morrison, and Mildred Myers.
Honorary pallbearers will be Brandon L. Courrege, Alexis N. Courrege, Jeremy P. Courrege, Donnie Bonner, Brad Gaspard, and Chris Gonsoulin.
The family would like to thank Audubon hospice, nurses’ Lynell Sonnier, Jennifer Snoddy, Lorna Gaffga and Desiree Breaux.
To view the on-line obituary and sign the guest register, please visit www.evangelinefuneralhome.com.
Evangeline Funeral Homes, Inc. of New Iberia is in charge of arrangements.
Show your support
- Jack Joseph Courrege Son
- Brandon L. Courrege (Averie) Grandchild
- Alexis N. Courrege Grandchild
- Jeremy P. Courrege Grandchild
- Ellia A. Courrege Great Grandchild
- Carrie Darby Dore Niece
- Linda Clements Verret Niece
- Lucien Simon Courrege Husband (deceased)
- St. Mark "Semar" Darby Father (deceased)
- Carrie Stephens Darby Mother (deceased)
- Jimmy Darby Sibling (deceased)
- Monroe Darby Sibling (deceased)
- Jessie Cole Sibling (deceased)
- Alice Bourgeois Sibling (deceased)
- Nellie Mouret Sibling (deceased)
- Clarence Darby Sibling (deceased)
- St. Mark Pete Darby Sibling (deceased)
- Anna Lee Bienemann Sibling (deceased)
- Francis Darby Sibling (deceased)
- Lizzie Leleux Sibling (deceased)
- Louise Morrison Sibling (deceased)
- Mildred Myers Sibling (deceased)
A Celebration of Life Gathering
In Memory Of
Helen Darby Courrege
Help tell the story of your loved one’s unique life. Leave a memory or share a photo below to show your support.