Mildred Laperouse Reed
December 29, 1934 – November 24, 2021
Mildred Laperouse Reed, a devoted and loving mother, grandmother and great grandmother, sister and friend, closed her eyes to this earthly life Wednesday, November 24, 2021 and entered into her eternal glory. At her passing she was 86.
Mildred was born December 29, 1934 to the late Expadie Laperouse, Sr. and the late Adele Boudreaux Laperouse and was one of eleven children born to that blessed union. She was raised in a family steeped in the Cajun heritage and a deep devotion to her Catholic faith.
In 1958, she met and married the love of her life, James Russell Reed, and together raised a beautiful family of two sons and twin girls. Mildred supported Russell at their service station, Reed’s Texaco Station, at the corner of St. Peter and Center Street. Russell passed away while the children were young, but Mildred persevered and continued to operate the station to support her family. Four years later, she sold the business and began a 28-year career as a paraprofessional with the Iberia Parish School Board. She taught at Dotson Elementary, Live Oak Elementary, and eventually retired from Sugarland Elementary. Throughout those years, Mildred made an impact on the lives of not only the children, but the many teachers she assisted. Her kindness, patience, and love for everyone was greatly appreciated.
Outside of her work, Mildred lived a life filled with the simple pleasures that brought her so much joy. She found relaxation in puzzle games and playing solitaire. Lisa and Tina shared a good laugh reminiscing about how Mildred won every game of solitaire because she just used whatever card she needed. No rules and all wins. She also enjoyed watching a good football game and soap operas with a cold 7-Up and a Nutty Buddy to snack on.
One of the favorite memories of the children was their mother’s love for life and family. Mildred and her partner in crime, Vernice (her sister) brought many laughs and good times to family gatherings. It was at those times that Mildred would sit and tell stories of her youth and life experiences. The grandchildren would sit in awe of their grandmother as she shared those times, placing wonderful memories in the hearts of them all. She simply loved her family, and they loved her dearly. Mildred will be missed but her legacy will live on in the hearts and thoughts of those most dear to her. Until we meet again, rest well for you have earned your heavenly reward.
Those left to cherish her memory are her children, James Russell “Rusty” Reed, Jr. and wife Mona, Lisa R. Bellingham and husband Steven and Tina R. Sapienza and husband Thomas; a daughter-in-law, Patti Reed; her grandchildren whom she adored, Brittany Reed, Eric Reed, Celeste Reed, Benjamin Reed, Jeremy Reed (Frances), Joshua Reed, Meghan Bellingham Neighbors (Connor), Reed Bellingham, Nicholas Bellingham, Lauren Sapienza Fontenot (Kyle), Courtney Sapienza, Thomas Sapienza, Jr., and Michelle Sapienza; seven great grandchildren, Noah Reed, Emma Grace Reed, Ava Cope, London Fontenot, Graham Fontenot, Esme Reed, and Livi Reed; and her brothers and sister, Expadie “Kani” Laperouse, Jr. (Linda), Kenny Laperouse (Linda) and Marie Hebert.
Along with her parents, Mildred is now reunited with her husband, James Russell Reed, Sr.; her son, Mark Steven “Stevie” Reed; and her brothers and sisters, James Laperouse, Madeline Chimento, Rita Fuselier, Tony Laperouse, Francis Laperouse, Vernice Derouen, and a brother, Louis, who passed early in life.
A Mass of Christian Burial celebrating Mrs. Reed’s life will be held at 11:00 am Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at St. Peter’s Catholic Church. Msgr. Douglas Courville, Pastor of St. Stephen Catholic Church in Berwick, will be the celebrant. Mildred’s grandson, Seminarian Reed Bellingham, will serve for the Mass. Following services, Mrs. Reed will be laid to rest with her husband and son at Holy Family Mausoleum.
A gathering of family and friends will be held at Evangeline Funeral Home on Wednesday from 8:00 am until 10:30 am dismissal to church.
Those honored to serve as pallbearers are Jeremy, Joshua, Eric, and Benjamin Reed, Thomas Sapienza, Jr. and Nicholas Bellingham. Honorary pallbearers are her granddaughters, Brittany and Celeste Reed, Meghan Bellingham Neighbors, Lauren Sapienza Fontenot, Courtney and Michelle Sapienza.
Family and friends are encouraged to share their memories and condolences with the family by visiting Mrs. Reed’s memorial page at www.evangelinefuneralhome.com
Evangeline Funeral Home of New Iberia is in charge of arrangements.
- James Russell "Rusty" Reed, Jr. (Mona), Son
- Lisa R. Bellingham (Steven), Daughter
- Tina R. Sapienza (Thomas), Daughter
- Patti Reed, Daughter-in-law
- Brittany Reed, Granddaughter
- Eric Reed, Grandson
- Celeste Reed, Granddaughter
- Benjamin Reed, Grandson
- Jeremy Reed (Frances), Grandson
- Joshua Reed, Grandson
- Meghan Bellingham Neighbors (Connor), Granddaughter
- Reed Bellingham, Grandson
- Nicholas Bellingham, Grandson
- Lauren Sapienza Fontenot (Kyle), Granddaughter
- Courtney Sapienza, Granddaughter
- Thomas Sapienza, Jr., Grandson
- Michelle Sapienza, Granddaughter
- Noah Reed, Great Grandchild
- Emma Grace Reed, Great Grandchild
- Ava Cope, Great Grandchild
- London Fontenot, Great Grandchild
- Graham Fontenot, Great Grandchild
- Esme Reed, Great Grandchild
- Livi Reed, Great Grandchild
- Expadie "Kani" Laperouse, Jr. (Linda), Brother
- Kenny Laperouse (Linda), Brother
- Marie Hebert, Sister
- James Russell Reed, Sr., Husband (deceased)
- Mark Steven "Stevie" Reed, Son (deceased)
- Expadie and Adele Boudreaux Laperouse, Parents (deceased)
- James Laperouse, Brother (deceased)
- Madeline Chimento, Sister (deceased)
- Rita Fuselier, Sister (deceased)
- Tony Laperouse, Brother (deceased)
- Francis Laperouse, Brother (deceased)
- Vernice Derouen, Sister (deceased)
- Louis Laperouse, Brother (deceased)
- Jeremy Reed, Pallbearer
- Joshua Reed, Pallbearer
- Eric Reed, Pallbearer
- Benjamin Reed, Pallbearer
- Thomas Sapienza, Jr., Pallbearer
- Nicholas Bellingham, Pallbearer
- Brittany Reed, Honorary Pallbearer
- Celeste Reed, Honorary Pallbearer
- Meghan Neighbors, Honorary Pallbearer
- Lauren Fontenot, Honorary Pallbearer
- Courtney Sapienza, Honorary Pallbearer
- Michelle Sapienza, Honorary Pallbearer
A Gathering of Family & Friends
Wednesday, December 1, 2021
Wednesday, December 1, 2021
A Mass of Christian Burial
Wednesday, December 1, 2021