Donald Edward Shawn
December 24, 1930 – March 5, 2018
Donald Edward Shawn 87, of Norman, passed away Monday, March 5, 2018, at Norman Regional Healthplex. He was born December 24, 1930, in Comanche County, Oklahoma, to Oscar Ellis Shawn and Georgia Evelyn (Lockaby) Shawn. On July 2, 1955, in Fittstown, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma he married Darlene Jeannette Scott. They would have celebrated 63 years of marriage.
Donald proudly served his country in the United States Marine Corps, and retired with twenty years service in August 1968, at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, Oceanside, San Diego County, California. He was a combat veteran having served in the Korean War and in VietNam. He was awarded the purple heart medal during the Korean War.
Donald and his wife were members of the Hilltop Baptist Church, but for the past few years he was mostly home bound due to his health. Assistance was provided by his Veteran Administration Home Base Team, as he was a 100% Disabled Veteran. Donald was an avid bird watcher and enjoyed feeding them when he was able. In his last few years he depended on his son-in-law to fill the feeders for him.
Survivors include his wife Darlene, daughter Lynn and husband William Turner, of Norman; Stephanie (Albarado) and husband Jason Lee Taylor of Banks, Alabama; Rachael Albarado of Houston, Texas; Christopher Shawn Albarado of Lake Charles, Louisiana; one great-grandson, Nathan Lee Taylor of Banks, Alabama; brother William Curtis Shawn and wife Darlene of Duncan, Oklahoma, as well as many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, daughter Vicki Shawn, two brothers and four sisters.
Visitation will be from 4:00-8:00 p.m. Friday March 9, 2018 at Primrose Funeral Service. Funeral service will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, March 10, 2018 at the Hilltop Baptist Church. Burial will be at Sunset Memorial Park Cemetery. Military honors will be rendered by the United States Marine Corps.
Arrangements entrusted to Primrose Funeral Service, Norman, OK Sign the online guestbook at www.primrosefuneralservice.com
- Darlene Shawn, Wife
- Lynn and Husband William Turner, Daughter
- Stephanie (Albarado) and Husband Jason Lee Taylor, Grandchildren
- Rachael Albarado, Grandchildren
- Christopher Shawn Albarado, Grandchildren
- Nathan Lee Taylor, Great Grandchild
- William Curtis Shawn and wife Darlene, Brother
- Oscar Ellis Shawn, Father
- Georgia Evelyn (Lockaby) Shawn, Mother
- Vicki Shawn, Daughter
- Survivors include many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by two brothers and four sisters.
- William Turner, Pallbearer
- Stephanie Taylor, Pallbearer
- Rachael Albarado, Pallbearer
- Jason Taylor, Pallbearer
- Nathan Taylor, Pallbearer
- Lee Driscoll, Pallbearer
- Visitation Friday, March 9, 2018
- Funeral Service Saturday, March 10, 2018
Donald Edward Shawn
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY