Mrs. Iola Smith
August 14, 1924 – March 30, 2021
Iola Watson Smith was born August 14, 1924 in Cabot, Arkansas to Charlie Watson and Victoria Poole Watson. She grew up as a faithful member of The Mount Sinai Baptist Church, Cabot, Arkansas where she served in numerous capacities.
Iola married the love of her life James C. Smith on May 21st, 1951 and to this union three children were born, Joyce Faye Smith, James Edward Smith, and Don Walter Smith. She is preceded in death by her husband, James, parents, Charlie and Victoria Watson, Sisters- Alberta Watson-Smith, Cynthia Watson-Smith, Alice Watson- Stewart, Della Watson- Randolph and Mary Watson, Brothers- Homer Watson, Wilma Watson, Lucien Underwood, Sonny Watson, Charles Watson, Carl B. Watson, and Cleo Underwood.
She enjoyed preparing big Sunday dinners for family and friends, as well as, listening to Old time Spiritual and Gospel music. At Clayton Chapel Baptist Church, she served in the Gospel choir and was part of the mission circles. Iola spent over 50 years in the field of Domestic Work.
She leaves to cherish her memory: Joyce Faye, James Edward, and Don (Otistene) Smith-all of NLR, Arkansas, two grandchildren, Jamee Michelle Smith, Nashville, TN, Randall Smith- Rangelova , Silver Spring, MD and one great grandchild, Daisy Rangelova, Silver Spring, MD, sister-in law- Gladys Davis, Chicago, IL: plus , a host of nieces, nephews, cousins, and close friends.
Family hour will be held from 6:00 – 8:00 pm at Griffin Leggett Rest Hills Funeral Home, 7724 Landers Road, North Little Rock. Funeral service will be held at 11:00 am at the Clayton Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, 215 Manson Rd., Sherwood, Arkansas with burial immediately following at Rest Hills Memorial Park. Pastor Pernell Maxwell, Sr. officiating.
- Charlie Watson, Father (deceased)
- Victoria Poole Watson, Grandmother (deceased)
- James C. Smith, Husband (deceased)
- Alberta Watson-Smith, Sister (deceased)
- Cynthia Watson-Smith, Sister (deceased)
- Alice Watson-Stewart, Sister (deceased)
- Della Watson-Randolph, Sister (deceased)
- Mary Watson, Sister (deceased)
- Homer Watson, Brother (deceased)
- Wilma Watson, Brother (deceased)
- Lucien Underwood, Brother (deceased)
- Sonny Watson, Brother (deceased)
- Charles Watson, Brother (deceased)
- Carl B. Watson, Brother (deceased)
- Cleo Underwood, Brother (deceased)
- Joyce Faye Smith, Daughter
- James Edward Smith, Son
- Don Smith (Otistene Smith), Son
- Jamee Michelle Smith, Grandchild
- Randall Smith-Rangelova, Grandchild
- Daisy Rangelova, Great Grandchildren
- Gladys David, Sister-in-law
- Iola also leaves behind a host of nieces, nephews, cousins and close friends
- Daryl Bassett, Active Pallbearer
- Bill Saint James, Active Pallbearer
- William Deloney, Active Pallbearer
- Keith Haney, Active Pallbearer
- Herbert Harris, Active Pallbearer
- Lawrence Gregory Jones, Active Pallbearer
- John Miller, Active Pallbearer
- James E. Smith, Active Pallbearer
- Andrew Willoughby, Active Pallbearer
- Curtis Smith, Honorary Pallbearer
- Kenneth Smith, Honorary Pallbearer
- Norman Smith, Honorary Pallbearer
- Victor Charles Smith, Honorary Pallbearer
- Tommy Smith, Honorary Pallbearer
- Edward Underwood, Honorary Pallbearer
- Kenneth Underwood, Honorary Pallbearer
- Cleo Underwood, Honorary Pallbearer
- Herbie Underwood, Honorary Pallbearer
- Robert Warren, Honorary Pallbearer
- Edward Warren, Honorary Pallbearer
- Kevin Watson, Honorary Pallbearer
Clayton Chapel Baptist Church
Friday, April 9, 2021
Mrs. Iola Smith
April 10, 2021
Thinking and praying for you in your hour of sorrow. I am so very sorry for the loss of your loved one. May God bless and keep you....and carry you through your trials.
April 9, 2021
A beautiful spirit, a generous heart, and an unfailing love for her family. God’s love is a light that can reach all corners of the earth. Lend your worries to Him and know that you are loved. We are praying for you in your grief.
Randall, Daisy and Rai
April 9, 2021
My prayers go out to the Smith Family. Stay encourage and know that God loved your mother and that he loves each of you and will take care of you.
Roslyn L. Williams and Thomas Lowe Sr. and family
Melba and Ed Underwood
April 8, 2021
Rest in Peace, Aunt Iola. You will always be in our hearts.
We had plans to visit you last year, but the panademic prevented us to travel to Little Rock. We are sad.
God is in control and will give us the strength needed. We will remember the last time we saw you and the great telephone conversations we had with you.
Ed and Melba
April 7, 2021
Please know that you and your family are in my prayers. I will continue to pray for you, always.
April 5, 2021
Aunt Iola always carried a beautiful spirit. Whenever we would visit Arkansas, she would welcome us with open arms and reflect on the many memories to share our family’s history. Because of her reminiscing, I am more knowledgeable of my ancestors. She has always been loved and appreciated, and will sorely be missed. May you rest in heaven, peacefully.
April 5, 2021
I have very fond memories of Sis. Iola Smith. She will certainly
be missed by all who knew her. Much love to the family and my
heartfelt sympathy in your loss.
April 4, 2021
Joyce, James and Don, you are sad right now. You each have some awesome memories of your mom that will make you smile and warm your heart.
Lean on God for your strength at this time. You all are in the thoughts and prayers of the Stewart, Patillo and Crutchfield families We will always be here for you.