Ray Mata Jr.
October 1, 1947 – May 13, 2018
Ray Quintanar Mata Jr (Junior) age 70 of Odessa TX went home to the Lord on May 13, 2018 surrounded by family. He was born October 1, 1947 in Marfa TX to Refugio and Margarita Mata in Marfa, TX. Raised in Odessa, Tx. Ray graduated from Ector High School and enlisted in the US Army like his father before him. After completing basic training at Fort Polk, he was deployed to Vietnam, upon returning from his tour he met the love of his life Mary. They would marry November 28, 1977. He retired from the US Army January 1,2004.
He was known for his skills playing pool but will always be remembered for his BBQ. He cooked for family, friends, and volunteered for fund raisers over the years. When asked about his greatest accomplishments he would always say his family. His pride and joy were his grandkids.
Ray is proceeded in death by his Wife Mary Mata; Father Ray Sr; brother Mario (Lee), and grandson Joe Ray Mata
Ray is survived by his son Ray A Mata III, daughter Margarita Mata- Artiaga and her husband Rey. His mother Margarita Mata, brothers Ruben and wife Mary, Glenn and wife Socorro, all of Odessa, Fernando and wife Debbie of Houston, Alfredo and wife Bea of Temple, and Rick of Grand Prairie. Sisters Yolanda, Theresa and husband Raul of Odessa and Hilda of Lubbock. His grandchildren Daniel Ray, Ashley Maria, Anysa Haylee, Ethan Joshua, Julian Rey, Savannah and Dakota. Several nieces and nephews.
A Funeral Service will take place on Friday, May 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Odessa Father Chavez will officiate. Burial to follow at Ector County Cemetery Odessa Gardens II.
- Ray Mata III, Son
- Margarita Mata-Artiga and husband Rey, Daughter
- Margarita Mata, Mother
- Ruben Mata and wife Mary, Brother
- Glenn Mata and wife Socorro, Brother
- Fernando Mata and wife Debbie, Brother
- Alfredo Mata and wife Bea, Brother
- Rick Mata, Brother
- Yolanda Mata, Sister
- Theresa and husband Raul, Sister
- Hilda Mata, Sister
- Grandchildren- Daniel Ray, Ashley Maria, Anysa Haylee, Ethan Joshua, Julian Rey, Savannah, & Dakota. Several nieces and nephews.
- Visitation Thursday, May 17, 2018
- Rosary Thursday, May 17, 2018
- Funeral Service Friday, May 18, 2018
Ray Mata Jr.
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY