May 29, 1917 – December 4, 2018
Geneva Catherine (Bahner) Burke was born on 29 May 1917 to Albert and Hela (Eubank) Bahner in a rock house built by her father near Choctaw, Oklahoma. She grew up on that farm, attended Choctaw HS and graduated from Noble HS. She and her brothers Cecil, Herschel (Buddy) and sister Trecia (Gamble) all learned how to work growing up on that farm.
Catherine learned how to sew from her mother and used that skill throughout her life for income, to clothe her family, and as gifts for grandchildren and friends. She also loved to cook and was always willing to share the good recipes and to try new ones. She was head cashier at Kerr's Department store and met her husband Donald at a USO dance at the Skirvin Hotel during WWII.
She and Don, her husband of 59 years raised one son, Kenneth who lives in Gretna Louisiana with his wife Patricia (Farmer) Burke. She is survived by her son and daughter-in-law, three grandsons -- Bennett and Karen Burke of Allen Texas, Randall and Elaine Burke of Choctaw Oklahoma, and Barrett and Cathy Burke of Clayton North Carolina and seven great grandchildren -- Andrew, Patrick, Brendan, Josie, Declan, Allison and Erica.
She loved to put things together, had an eye for color and loved a bargain. After raising her son, she enjoyed her antique club, and after Don retired they both loved their time as tour directors for the Oklahoma Retired Citizens Travel Group. Catherine and Don were long time members of Mayfair Church of Christ in Oklahoma City.
In addition to her son and grandchildren, she is survived by her nephews Rick and Ron Bahner, Bob Gamble and her nieces Pat (Gamble) Crouse and Phoenix (Glenna Kaye Bahner) Wilson and their extended families. She was extremely proud of her German heritage, her country roots and her entire family.
She left a legacy of hard work and love. We will miss her style and her smile. Funeral services will be held Monday December 10th at 11:00 AM at Hahn-Cook/Street and Draper Funeral Home of Oklahoma City, 6600 Broadway Extension with burial following in Memorial Park Cemetery. A visitation with family greeting friends will be Monday morning from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- She is survived by her son and daughter-in-law, three grandsons -- Bennett and Karen Burke of Allen Texas, Randall and Elaine Burke of Choctaw Oklahoma, and Barrett and Cathy Burke of Clayton North Carolina and seven great grandchildren -- Andrew, Patrick, Brendan, Josie, Declan, Allison and Erica.
- Bennett Burke, Active Pallbearer
- Randall Burke, Active Pallbearer
- Barrett Burke, Active Pallbearer
- Andrew Burke, Active Pallbearer
- Patrick Burke, Active Pallbearer
- Brendan Burke, Active Pallbearer
- Visitation Monday, December 10, 2018
- Funeral Service Monday, December 10, 2018