Robert E. Garrett
March 10, 1931 – May 2, 2021
Robert E. Garrett, 90, passed away Sunday, May 2, 2021. He was born March 10, 1931 in Byrdstown, Pickett County, Tennessee to Carlos and Bertha Pryor Garrett.
Robert served in the United States Army in Alaska from 1952 until 1954. He worked at DuPont in Old Hickory, Tennessee, as an electrician, retiring in 1985. He loved to hunt and fish and spent many hours fishing on Old Hickory Lake, near his home, outside of Gallatin, Tennessee. He was also a talented craftsman and made many treasured wood carvings for family and friends.
Robert was a long-time member of the Hartsville Pike Church of Christ, working with Meals-on-Wheels, and the bus program. He was also a member of the Old Hickory Church of Christ for the past few years.
Robert was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Reuben Garrett and Eugene Garrett; sister Sue Gregory; and great-granddaughter Leeya White; as well as several brothers-in-law and sisters-in law.
Robert is survived by wife Vera Flatt Garrett; daughter Debra Flatt Whitaker (John), grandchildren Andrea White (Jon), Justin “Woody” Whitaker, and Brittany Koehn (Justin); great-grandchildren Katelyn, Riley, Christopher, Gracyn, Nataley, Sam, Zachary, Molly White, Chandler Koehn, and Liam Koehn; He is also survived by sisters Laura Hunter of Lafayette, IN, and Sandra Cooper (Gilbert) of Gallatin, TN; sisters-in-law Polly Hance, Juanita Flatt, Christine Gragg (Wayne), Ora Fox (Junior), Barbara Dorris (Floyd), Judy Parham (Tom), and sister-in-law Jeanette Flatt; as well as many nieces and nephews.
There will be a Gathering of Family & Friends at Hermitage Funeral Home on Wednesday, May 5, 2021, from 3pm until 7pm, and on Thursday, May 6, 2021, from 10am until 11am. A Celebration of Life service will be held in the funeral home chapel on Thursday, May 6, 2021, at 11am and will be conducted by Doyle Farris of Hartsville Pike Church of Christ and Don Loftis of Old Hickory Church of Christ. Interment will follow at Hermitage Memorial Gardens immediately following the Celebration of Life.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the charity (or organization) of your choice in memory of Robert E. Garrett. Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at www.HermitageFH.com in the obituaries by clicking “Add A Memory”.
- Carlos Garrett, Father (deceased)
- Bertha Pryor Garrett, Mother (deceased)
- Very Flatt Garrett, Loving Wife
- Debra Flatt Whitaker (John), Daughter
- Andrea White (Jon), Granddaughter
- Justin "Woody" Whitaker, Grandson
- Brittany Koehn (Justin), Granddaughter
- Katelyn, Great Granddaughter
- Riley, Great Grandchild
- Christopher, Great Grandson
- Gracyn, Great Grandchild
- Nataley, Great Granddaughter
- Sam, Great Grands
- Zachary, Great Grandson
- Molly White, Great Granddaughter
- Chandler Koehn, Great Grands
- Liam Koehn, Great Grands
- Leeya White, Great Granddaughter (deceased)
- Laura Hunter, Sister
- Sandra Cooper (Gilbert), Sister
- Polly Hance, Sister-in-law
- Juanita Flatt, Sister-in-law
- Christine Gragg (Wayne), Sister-in-law
- Ora Fox (Junior), Sister-in-law
- Barbara Dorris (Floyd), Sister-in-law
- Judy Parham (Tom), Sister-in-law
- Jeanette Flatt, Sister-in-law
- as well as many nieces and nephews
Wednesday, May 5, 2021
Thursday, May 6, 2021
Thursday, May 6, 2021