Verna M. Horne
January 23, 1929 – September 11, 2020
Verna Mae (Fortenberry) Horne, Age 91 of Mount Juliet, TN, went to heaven on Friday, September 11th, 2020 after a well-fought battle with Alzheimer’s. She lived a long and happy life and was a blessing to everyone that knew her.
Verna was the beloved wife to Rev. Clifford Horne. She was a loving mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. She grew up in Tunnel Hill, GA. She married her soulmate, Clifford, at the early age of 17. For close to 40 years, she was a very dutiful and faithful pastor’s wife. She and her husband were “home missionaries” commissioned by the Southern Baptist Mission Board. Their mission field was in the projects area of East Nashville. Their tasks included setting up and running a child care center, a week-day program for kids, literacy programs to teach adults how to read, and many other hands-on ministries. Many lives were impacted by their selfless work for the Lord.
Family members who preceded her to heaven are her beloved husband, Rev. Clifford Horne, her son Frank Horne, and parents Samuel Ernest and Lillie Mae Fortenberry.
She is survived by her sons, Steve (Dianne) Horne and Terry (Valerie) Horne, daughter-in-law Brenda Horne, thirteen grandchildren, Trey(Michelle) Horne, Robyn(Eric) Wakefield, Josh (Beth) Horne, Israel (Crystal) Horne, Noelle (Micah) Johnson, Nick (Kim Mathews) Horne, Travis (LeAnn) Horne, Jason (Jasmine) Horne, Amber (Derek) Smith, Casey (Ryan) Johnson, Clare Horne, Caroline Horne, Nikolai Horne, and brother J.R. Fortenberry, and 18 great-grandchildren.
We’d like to thank those special “angels of mercy” that provided daily care for several years: Sara McClenon, Glenda Seay, Gloria Wade, Becky Mathis, and Robbie Mathis, and also the staff of Hearthside Senior Living and Amedisys Hospice Care.
Visitation and the Celebration of Life Service will be at the Hermitage Funeral Home, 535 Shute Lane, Hermitage, TN 37076 on Tuesday, September 15th, with visitation starting at 11:00 AM followed by the service at 2:00 PM. Rev. Clay Faircloth will be officiating. Verna’s 7 grandsons will serve as her Pallbearers. In lieu of flowers, please consider donations to Hearthside Senior Living in Lebanon, TN.
- Rev. Clifford Horne, Husband (deceased)
- Frank Horne, Son (deceased)
- Samuel Ernest Fortenberry, Father (deceased)
- Lillie Mae Fortenberry, Mother (deceased)
- Steve Horne (Dianne), Son
- Terry Horne (Valerie), Son
- Brenda Horne, Daughter-in-law
- Trey Horne (Michelle), Grandchild
- Robyn Wakefield (Eric), Grandchild
- Josh Hrone (Beth), Grandchild
- Israel Horne (Crystal), Grandchild
- Noelle Johnson (Micah), Grandchild
- Nick Horne (Kim Mathews), Grandchild
- Travis Horne (LeAnn), Grandchild
- Jason Horne (Jasmine), Grandchild
- Amber Smith (Derek), Grandchild
- Casey Johnson (Ryan), Grandchild
- Clare Horne, Grandchild
- Caroline Horne, Grandchild
- Nikolai Caroline, Grandchild
- J. R. Fortenberry, Brother
- . . . and eighteen (18) great-grandchildren
Learn more about the Horne name
- Trey Horne, Active Pallbearer
- Josh Horne, Active Pallbearer
- Israel Horne, Active Pallbearer
- Nick Horne, Active Pallbearer
- Travis Horne, Active Pallbearer
- Jason Horne, Active Pallbearer
- Nikolai Horne, Active Pallbearer
Gathering of Family & Friends
Tuesday, September 15, 2020
Celebration of Life
Tuesday, September 15, 2020