Pauline "Pinky" Ward Fry

September 25, 1928April 28, 2018
Play Tribute Movie Play Tribute Movie

Pauline "Pinky" Ward Fry, age 89 passed away at home in Deer Park, Texas on Saturday April 28, 2018. "Pinky" was born September 25, 1928 in Manhattan, Kansas.

A memorial visitation for "Pinky" will be held Saturday, May 12, 2018 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM at GRAND VIEW FUNERAL HOME, 8501 Spencer Highway, Pasadena, TX 77505. A cremation will occur as part of her final wishes.

Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at Note: some of the entries in this website reference Pasadena Funeral Home, but all activities will be at the GRAND VIEW FUNERAL HOME (address above) on May 12, at 10am.

Pinky is preceded in death by her husband Gerald Fry in 2005, her parents and step father, her sister Jodie, and a number of aunts, uncles, and cousins.

Pinky is survived by her 3 sons and their families, Tim Fry and Leslie Bennett, Tom and Lisa Fry, Gary Fry and Rose Spivey, 3 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren, her sister Pat, her brother John (Butch), as well as Pinky's long time companion Charles Kirk.


  • Memorial Visitation Saturday, May 12, 2018

Pauline "Pinky" Ward Fry

have a memory or condolence to add?



Pauline Ward Fry passed away at age 89 on April 28, 2018. Born Ella Pauline Ward, she became known early in life as "Pinky", and that nickname stayed with her throughout her entire life. Of course she was known as Mom to her 3 boys. A few years ago, Mom sat down with pen and paper to write the following note. We think it serves as a far better biography than we could ever write, so I share this with you, her family and friends. Signed, her loving sons, Tim, Tom, Gary

Pinky's Life Story , as told in her own words

One day I'll be here, and the next day I'll be gon., Life, with its ups and downs will have ended for me.

I was not raised by my mother or father, who divorced when I was 2. I was raised by my grandmother and grandfather on a farm in Kansas. My childhood was poor and lonely, up until 5th grade, when we moved from the country into town. Then, two years later, Pearl Harbor was attacked, and my grandfather moved us to Orange, Texas where he worked on building ships for the war effort.

I loved Texas, but my daddy (grandpa) got glaucoma and was losing his eyesight, and the war was winding down, so he and mama (grandma) decided to move to Colorado. I was, by then, a Sophomore in high school. I graduated. I worked for the Chamber of Commerce through H.S. and then as a secretary, after.

I had been an "A" student in Shorthand and Typing, and a "B" student in Bookkeeping. College courses were out of the question, as we were "dirt" poor (no phone, no car). I saw that college educated people made the best livings and were the kind of people I related to, but I couldn't pay for everything by working and going to school, myself, with absolutely no help.

I met Gerald Fry, and I was awed by how smart he was, just out of the service, and in his first year of college. We married, and I worked at the University of Colorado 'til he graduated 3 years later. The university gave us wives each a "PHT" degree (Putting Husbands Through). I never picked mine up.

I wanted to live in Texas, so Jerry and I headed for Houston, where I had an Aunt. By that time, my mother, step-father, and 3 siblings were living in San Antonio.

Jerry had a degree in Chemical Engineering, but it was not from a TX college, so he had a hard time getting hired. He finally got a job with Nyotex Chemicals, I, in the meantime, was awaiting our first child, which turned out to be twins boys, Tim & Tom !

Jerry's abilities were soon rewarded by Stauffer Chemical Co,. that owned Nyotex, and by the time he was 35, he was made a Plant Manager in E. St. Louis, Illinois. That was the year of 1961-62, 'til the beginning of 1964; at which time, we were transferred back to Texas.

Our son, Gary, was born in 1965. By that time, I was a month from being 37yrs old. The twins were 14. Jerry was Plant Manger of a plant in Greens Bayou. I volunteered at The Bridge (women's support group) for 5 yrs and joined the Arlington Heights Women's Club. I played bridge, and managed to finish raising 3 sons, and Jerry retired.

His health was bad, and we were told by his doctors he could not climb stairs anymore, so we moved to Deer Park in 2002.

I also joined the Pasadena Music Club, which has given me great joy throughout the years. I served as Secretary for nine years, and Treasurer for two years. Jerry passed at the end of 2004 - beginning of 2005.

I stayed in the big house until 2011, at which time I moved to a small house in Deer Park with my best friend and companion, Charlie Kirk. We have known each other and needed each other from 2005 to 2015 - a good 10 yrs, or more. He has taken on the care of an old lady, but he never made me feel I was a burden. We enjoyed his music together and always had a place to go on Sat. nights. Our life together was, for the most part, very happy.

I'll end this here because I don't know what the future holds.