Richard "Dick" Lynn Yoakum
February 6, 1947 – July 23, 2019
Richard L. “Dick” Yoakum of New Meadows, Idaho passed away on July 23, 2019 surrounded by his wife, kids, and grandkids in Boise, Idaho. Dick was born to Don and Lorraine Yoakum on February 6, 1947 in Council, Idaho. He grew up in New Meadows playing football and basketball until he graduated in 1965 from Meadows Valley. Dick joined the Idaho National Guard with the 116th Engineers in 1967. He married Kathy Donica in 1968 and was activated to Vietnam just one week later where he was there for 11 months. In 1970 he had his first daughter Terri, in 1972 his son Brian, and in 1977 his son Jeffrey Don.
Dick logged for JI Morgan for 40 years, but his favorite job was working construction for Jim Yates. He loved to spend time in the outdoors hunting, camping, and fishing. His passion for basketball couldn’t keep him off the court, so he started coaching boys’ basketball for Meadows Valley. There was nothing he enjoyed more than spending time with his family, especially out on his deck. Dick’s love for life and big smile was truly infectious and touched everyone around him.
Dick is preceded in death by his parents; son Jeffrey Don; and his Godson Leroy Matthews. He is survived by his wife Kathy of 51 years; his brother Jim Yoakum; his daughter Terri (Randy) Smith; son Brian (Andrea) Yoakum; seven grandchildren LeAndra, Randi (Eddie), Cody, Kaci (Chris), Marcus, Gracie, and James; and his first great grandson who will be born in November, Koleson Lane; as well as a special little guy Lukey.
The family would like to thank the staff at St. Luke’s in Boise, Idaho for the great care and compassion they have shown Dick. We would also like to extend our thanks and gratitude to his guardian angel here on Earth, Dr. Ted Lange at the VA hospital.
- Kathy (Donica) Yoakum, Wife
- Donald Yoakum, Father (deceased)
- Lorraine (Ludwig) Yoakum, Mother (deceased)
- Terri (Yoakum) Smith, Daughter
- Randy Smith, Son in law
- Brian Yoakum, Son
- Andrea Yoakum, Daughter in law
- Jeffrey Don Yoakum, Son (deceased)
- Jim Yoakum, Brother
- Patricia Yoakum, Sister in law (deceased)
- Leroy Matthews, Godson (deceased)
- Seven grandchildren, LeAndra, Randi, Cody, Kaci, Marcus, Gracie, James; his first great grandson to be born in November, Koleson Lane; as well as a special little guy, Lukey
- Memorial Service Saturday, July 27, 2019