Lincoln Memorial Park & Funeral Home

11801 Se Mt Scott Blvd., Portland, OR


Charles "Weldon" Reed

December 15, 1936September 24, 2019

Weldon was born in Cambridge, Idaho December 15, 1936 to Bill and Gladys Reed. He had two brothers, Duane and Kenny whom he survived. They were a very close family. I can remember having Thanksgiving dinner at my grandma’s house. She would set-up a table that would take up her entire living room so everyone could sit down. All three boys and their families were there. My dad loved all of the family get-togethers. We always had homemade noodles and he kept that tradition going when my grandma couldn’t do it anymore.

He moved to Portland when he was 6. He graduated from Franklin High School in 1954. He was in the Navy for 4 years. He and Kenny had a boat and spent a lot of time on the river water skiing. Apparently, he was very good at water skiing. Mike, my husband, was very impressed when he skied behind our boat 20 years older. He married my mom in 1962, they divorced in 1979 and he never remarried. He had 2 daughters me and my sister Lisa. He went to our games, practices and all of our activities. He was involved. He worked for the telephone company, first PW Bell and then AT&T until he took early retirement buyout we believe in 1987. He then started golfing several times per week, watching grandkids several times a week, going to every event possible and built a wood working shop. He made windmills, a water wheel and various other things. He had triple bypass heart surgery a couple years after he retired. We always joked that his heart would be an upgrade since they were taking the veins from his Popeye calves; his calves were very big for being a small guy because he walked 18 holes of golf every time he played. We were right; he never had to repeat the bypass surgery which on average has to be repeated after 15 years (I have to say that scared me a bit when I read that); his heart didn’t stop until the very end. After surgery he quit smoking, started eating better; pepperoni pizza, pepsi and popcorn was less often and he continued golfing. Oh and of course was a very active grandpa. He had 4 grandchildren, Jason, Kristy, Josh and Caleb. He babysat, went to all of their events from baseball, basketball, football, swimming, volleyball and cheerleading. Went to a lot of the practices too and even coached. He went to school activities when he could and never never missed a birthday party until this year.

He and his brother Duane golfed together multiple times a week. They went to all different golf courses. They both were Pleasant Valley members, it doesn’t exist anymore. They went as far as Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to play golf. They had a lot of fun together. He had had trouble with his back and legs for quite a few years, but really didn’t complain. Although I remember as a kid when his back was really bothering him he kind of walked crocked with one shoulder drooping. A Dr. suggested running some tests, they discovered an aortic aneurism by accident and if it had ruptured would have killed him. He had surgery and this is when we discovered he should be given morphine. He was recovering in the hospital and called me at 10pm. He said I better go get Lisa and hurry because he was going to die. That was a very startling phone call. I scared Lisa half to death. We got there and found out he was having a hallucination that a white van had backed up into his hospital room and was going to kidnap and kill him. He had called 911 to report this very real incident and insisted they send someone. We had lots of laughs about that. He remembered it and always said how real it felt while shaking his head and chuckling. He said that recovery was harder than the open heart surgery, but did he let us help him when he went home. Nope. After he recovered he continued golfing and got his handicap to about 6-8 until the carotid artery surgery in 2005, which was to try to prevent a stroke, but resulted in one that disabled his left hand. He did a lot of physical therapy and a few medical trials, but his left hand never improved. That didn’t stop him though; he kept golfing and even said he beat a couple of his friends one-handed, not Duane though. He talked about going to California and taking lessons from a pro golfer that had lost use of a hand due to a stroke. I am not sure why he decided not to. He found other things to do, climb on his roof to try to seal his skylight or clean out his gutters, lost his wallet up there once, still did the woodworking, Josh and Caleb both enjoyed doing that with him, he had a small garden, he wanted to continue to make Thanksgiving/Christmas Eve dinner for all of us which included making homemade noodles himself, help with Malia, still went to ball games and when his grandkids were no longer participating in activities he found others. I know he went to Kaitlyn’s, Duane’s granddaughter, Shawn’s daughter softball games and golf tournaments. He even went to the nearby park and watched the kids play baseball/softball when he lived over by Normandale Park. Oh and of course he was still driving which didn’t bother us until the last couple of years.

He was diagnosed with skin cancer in 2015 with 2 surgeries and radiation, then a bad reaction to a medication that put him into rehab for 4 weeks in 2016. Right before they were transferring him to rehab, he had a massive stroke that luckily was reversed with TPA. We honestly thought we were going to lose him that day. When they were able to transfer him to rehab several days later gave him morphine for the trip. Not a good idea. As they rolled him into the facility he saw bikers lined up with knives, people staring at him and saying things. When they got him into his room, he kept seeing things that weren’t there. He was getting really mad that I couldn’t see them too. He insisted that he was not going to stay and demanded that I take him home which wasn’t possible in his condition. I honestly didn’t recognize him, I was so worried that the rehab people would think that is who he was; someone difficult and mean. The morphine wore off and then they got to know the real him. You would walk down the hallway with him and everyone said hi to him. He seemed to become a favorite wherever he went. He broke his pelvis in spring of 2017 while trying to kick the lawn mower to lower it only to fall on some bricks. Somehow he crawled into his house this included stairs and called us. He told us that he was pretty sure that he broke something, but it didn’t hurt that much. He wasn’t able to have surgery and was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. He spent 4 weeks in rehab and 2 weeks at my (Tracie) house before returning home to his mobile home. I think the only reason he agreed to come to my house was because Mike was going to be there with him. The different rehabs would give him cognitive tests that he would fail because he thought they were stupid. I swear he answered the questions wrong on purpose just to be funny. By this time, he was already on the list to move into Parkview Independent living, but they were sure he needed assisted living, maybe even a nursing home. They didn’t know my dad very well. He went back to his mobile home, recovered and waited for Parkview to call. They did turn in his license for suspension due to the stroke. We thought that this would end his driving; we were hoping any way, by this time he made us nervous. Well he took the written test and passed it that summer. Then took the driving test which he failed, but the instructor suggested that he try again. We couldn’t believe it, what was this instructor thinking? He took it again that December and he passed. He was so excited. So we decided if DMV approved him to drive we just needed to accept it.

He finally got the call to move into Parkview. He had been on the list for about 1-1/2 years. We had looked at assisted living communities in 2017 for him to possibly move into just to make his life easier. Have you ever tried to make a bed or even put on your pants with only one hand and he had been doing it for 12 years. He wouldn’t hear of it. He and His high school friend, Frank was on the list together and that is where he was going to live even if it meant waiting. There is a putting green here you know. Frank didn’t move in, but my dad did in February of 2018. It was amazing how many people he already knew. He and Frank had been coming and having meals for awhile. Everyone was so kind and friendly. I remember bringing him back from rehab during lunch time and when everyone saw him they all clapped. He had told me that would happen and said he wasn’t looking forward to it, but the look on his face told a different story. He loved it from the beginning. He was on blood thinners and it didn’t take much for him to bleed. There were several times it looked like a murder seen because he wanted to try to take care of it himself and by the time he called one of us, there was usually blood everywhere. It’s not easy opening a band aid with one hand. He was successful at times. He would tease that he needed to invest in band aide stocks. A few months ago, a Parkview friend tripped after playing bean bag baseball and even though he wasn’t always steady himself, he tried to help stop the fall. They both went down and my dad ended up breaking his hip. We joked that he needed to learn to jump out of the way, but that just isn’t who he is. If he had to do all over again, he would have done the same. There is no way he could just let someone fall. His brain would say no, his reflexes would just do it anyway. A few days later after surgery he had a major heart attack. Although all he complained about was that he was having trouble breathing, most would have passed out. We were standing right there with the Dr. and based on the symptoms he was seeing didn’t think he was having a heart attack until the blood tests came back. He went rehab planning to go back home to independent, but it was obvious the recovery was going to take longer so he made the decision to move over to assisted living. This wasn’t something he wanted to do, because he loved it at independent. His goal was to move back and it was his motivation as well. He had a couple setbacks, but by the end of August he was walking with his cane by himself to the dining room despite the pain. He wasn’t giving up no matter how hard it was. Assisted living did make things easier. He was getting to know more people as well as the caregivers. He had a couple of favorites by now and they told us they were attached to him even though they tried not to be. He acknowledged that it might be OK not to move back, but he still wanted to be able to walk over to independent on his own. He really missed playing bean bag baseball on Tuesdays and Saturdays and eating with his friends where there was lots of laughing.

It may seem like I mentioned all of his health issues, but it isn’t the incidents. They unfortunately happened; it is how he dealt with each one. How he never let any of them get him down and he always did more than expected during recovery with a smile on his face and a really good attitude. The therapists always said how much they enjoyed working with him and were amazed by how hard he worked knowing how much pain he was probably in. It reminded them of why they like their job. Once he recovered, he didn’t dwell, feel sorry for himself or ask why. Unfortunately, he had a stroke on August 30th and again on September 2nd. He decided it was too much to recover from, he did try, but even sitting on his own or standing was close to impossible. He wanted to go home. He never lost his sense of humor never once did he really complain or get depressed. He had accepted it. He talked to Gary about having his memorial at Parkview. Making sure we knew where all his papers were and letting us know it was time to sell the car. One of us had to be with him all the time including overnight. I really kind of think he enjoyed all the attention and company. This was never something he would have allowed during any of his previous recoveries. He knew his time was short. I am so thankful for this community and the friends he made. You were so caring and kind to him and to us. We couldn’t have had this special time with him without the amazing caregivers and Shawn’s help. I know he loved that you were there. We are so grateful to all of you for making his last week’s so special. Knowing how much he was loved is so comforting. He was without a doubt important to everyone who knew him. He was kind, caring, positive and real. There was nothing fake, he didn’t ever pretend. What you saw was who he was. He was always willing to help and always had a smile. We will miss you dad. We know that you will always be looking out for us and we know we will see you again.

He is survived by his daughter’s Tracie and Lisa, son-in-law Michael, grandkids, Jason, Kristy, Josh and Caleb and great grandkids, Malia, Jaxon and Ava. I know Shawn he thought of you as one of his daughters too.


  • Visitation Thursday, October 10, 2019
  • Committal Service Thursday, October 10, 2019
  • Memorial Service Thursday, October 10, 2019


Charles "Weldon" Reed

have a memory or condolence to add?

Sandi Camp

October 9, 2019

I knew your dad for a short while in 1958-59. I am so pleased to learn what a wonderful father and grandfather he became. He was blessed to have two wonderful daughters and and his grandchildren. He was a good man!



"My Dad" from his daughter Tracie:

My Dad has always been someone who I admire. He was constantly positive, more than willing to help and be supportive and let us make our own decisions even if he disagreed. He was strong and had a never give up, always try and figure it out mentality. He was our support system, always available. I don’t remember him ever saying no when we asked him for help with a project or with the kids he wouldn’t hesitate to jump in the car. Even if we just called with a question half the time, he would say I’ll be right over. He was very patient. I wanted to dive like he did. He could jump on the diving board and go into the water completely straight like a board. I remember him spending hours working with me on diving and doing flips. He wouldn’t stop until I was ready. He was an involved Dad and someone you always wanted around. He went on my 6th grade trip around Oregon as a chaperone. I know my teacher was very glad he went. He had a way of making everything fun, but also keeping order. I know some of the kids didn’t want their parent to go, but I really wanted him to and so did my friends. He sad it gave him gray hairs, but he wouldn’t have missed for the world. I remember as a kid him coming to basketball, softball and volleyball practices, never missed a game. Even sitting through the dance team competitions that took all day, he was there and was a parent helper, putting together the props before each competition.

I remember him going to David Douglas High School football and basketball games and us going with him even before we were in high school. I think I was 5. We would go to the game and then either Pizza Baron or Taco House after. He continued to go to the basketball games for years after we graduated. He was very well known. The football games became too cold. I loved watching football and basketball with him. He was a huge Oregon Duck fan. He took the time to teach me the rules and explain the plays. He didn’t ever get irritated even though I was interrupting the games with all of my questions. When I was older, he would help me fill-out the NCAA basketball tournament brackets. We even won some money once. When Mike and I started dating, he immediately liked him. He thought he reminded him of himself when he was young. It was so great to have my dad and my husband become such good friends. When I was pregnant with Jason my water broke 6 weeks early, Mike was at work. I was home by myself; it was 10:30pm. My dad was the first person I called. I was crying on the phone and could barely tell him what was wrong. He came right over, took me to the hospital and was trying to make me laugh the whole way there even though later he said he was very nervous and worried. He even went to some of the birthing classes with me when Mike couldn’t go. He made it fun. I don’t know of many dads that were more than happy to go. He retired at 49 and played a lot of golf. However, I think he retired so he could be the kind of grandparent we had; never saying no to watching them or letting them spend the night. He took care of them when we worked, several times a week-all 4 of them sometimes, my niece Wendy came as well for a few summers. The more the merrier as far as he was concerned. He would pick them up from school, take them to practice when we needed him to and went to as many school activities and games/competitions that he could. This included band concerts that sometimes were not so fun to sit through, endless swim meets and even cheer competitions. He even went to out-of-town swim meets that required staying the night. He always wanted to go.

He was very excited about his first great grandchild, Malia. He really wanted to help, but by then he had had his stroke that took the use of his left hand. He was afraid to hold her thinking he might drop her. I remember once when Kristy needed to leave to go to class and I was running late, I asked him to go over and watch her for ½ hour. He did, without hesitation; he just had Kristy leave her on the floor and played with her. However, when I got home he said she had started crying and so he figured out away to pick her up. He was holding her in the chair with a huge smile on his face. I think this was the first time he held her. I really think he always thought he would be able to babysit great grand kids. He was only 68 when he had the stroke. He found a way to help by picking her up after school when she was in half day kindergarten and taking her to his house. They had a lot of fun together. Malia remembers the trips to McDonalds or stopping at Dairy Queen and something about a snake, yep forever the tease. Family was everything to him. Although he didn’t get to babysit Jaxon or Ava, I know he wanted to. He always loved seeing them, talking to them and played with them.

He had many medical incidents that were mentioned before; he didn’t let anything stop him. Most people would have given up, been depressed or even angry. Not him. He reacted by having a positive, not complaining, never give up, try as hard as you can and I can figure it out attitude. He knew that his attitude would make it easier on us if he stayed positive, but it was also natural for him. He didn’t know another way. I cannot think of a better roll model for anyone. You will be forever in my heart and I will pay forward everything you taught us especially the positive attitude. He is proof life is always better if you are positive, you try and you never give up. I promise never to forget that. Lisa and I could not have had a better dad. I don’t believe there is a better grandpa out there. We are truly blessed and thankful.

"About my dad" from his daughter Lisa:

My dad was best man I will ever know. He was always supportive of everything I did. Through my life he was the one person I could count on, the voice of reason and always positive. He had a great sense of humor which I’m pretty sure is where I got mine. We were always able to make each other laugh even when it shouldn't be a laughing matter. Things didn’t have to be serious all the time. I can remember as a little girl I was around the block and I saw him walking toward me. I thought uh oh am I late? So I asked him and he said no I got home from work and was just wondering where you were. So I grabbed his hand and we walked home. I always remember how happy that made me. Tracie and I were in high School when are parents divorced and we chose to stay with my dad. So there he was 2 teenage daughters and he handled it like a pro. He tried to do everything from cooking to cleaning and laundry. But of course we only let him do laundry once. Out of self defense we told him we would do the laundry. We took over some of the other chores to. Cooking at first for him was challenging to say the least. One time he decided to make enchiladas, didn’t go well…we all got sick. We never let him forget that and teased him about it. I’m sure he is looking down right now and is saying I can’t believe you are still telling this story!! We always teased each other. His cooking did get a lot better but he never tried to make those enchiladas again. He came to all the sports my sons played and they noticed if he wasn’t there. Sometimes they played at the same time and he would go to half of one game then drive to other. My sons loved going to grandpas house. He started taking care of them when they were 3 months old when I went back to work. He handled them like it was no big deal and enjoyed every minute of it. MY dad was such a good wood worker I really thought he could make anything. I took a picture of a wooden light house once and asked him if he could make it. He wasn’t sure but he spend alot of time figuring it out and it looked great when he was done. I still have it in my back yard. My dad had a way of making everything better with his encouragement and positive attitude. He helped me so much and was always there to encourage me especially when I felt like the my world was falling apart. He would tell me how strong I am and your can do it and I always did. I was so lucky to have him a father, great role model and positive force in my Life. I am going to really miss the banter between us and having him with us. There will never be another man like him. Lord you have a good man with you. I know he will always be looking down on us. I love you dad and will miss you so much.

From Kristina:

I will always remember how happy my childhood was with him in it. He came to all of our sporting events, took us on field trips to Bonneville dam, and always got us McDonald Egg Mcmuffins before our adventures. He came to every Christmas morning we had and taped everything. I will always remember his nicknames for us “little turkey”, “varmint” or “tiger”. Grandpa was always smiling and the true strength of our family. He held his sense of humor through everything he ever went through. He got knocked down so many times but always got up again. He never gave up and always lived his passions, especially when he had no choice but to learn how to do one handed golf. Every time I think I can’t do it, I think of him. I want to be just like him. He gives me strength when I need it most. I told the kids to look at the sky to know he is always there. The sun was setting and turned the breaks between the clouds orange, I told them that was him. They will be happy to know he will always be there watching them grow. We will miss you everyday but we are so thankful you are set free, free of pain, no more needing to fight. We will always throw rolls at the dinner table on Thanksgiving and Christmas to keep your memory alive.

RIP Charles Weldon Reed 🧡 12.15.1936-9.24.2019