Richard Leo Blessing Sr.
March 22, 1935 – April 12, 2018
Richard Leo "Sarge" Blessing, Sr., 83, of Hamburg, passed away peacefully in Tower Health Reading Hospital on Thursday, April 12, 2018. He was the loving husband of Marion E. (Hiester) Blessing of Hamburg for over 59 years. The couple married on October 4, 1958.
Born in Reading on March 22, 1935, he was a son of the late John, Sr. and Marie (Kehs) Blessing. He was a member of St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Reading. Richard was employed with ER Stubner as a cement finisher for over 15 years before he went out on his own and became self employed as a concrete finisher for many years.
Richard served faithfully in the US Army and then the National Guard. He was a proud veteran and served during the Korean War and the beginning of the Vietnam War. He was a member of the Topton America Legion and the Veterans of Foreign War.
He loved to fish and to draw. He enjoyed hunting and was a huge Rams fan.
In addition to his wife, Marion, Richard is survived by four children: Frederick A. Blessing of Hamburg, Robin A. (Blessing) Crammer and her husband, Brian K. of Hamburg, Troy A. Blessing and his wife, Valerie M. of Macungie and Derick L. Blessing of Blandon; 12 grandchildren: Vanessa M. Blessing, Latisha M. Blessing, Richard L. Blessing, III, Vatoya A. Blessing, Justin A. Nies, Tristan M. Crammer, Destin M. Crammer, Troy A Blessing, Jr., Carissa M. Blessing, Zoeigh M. Blessing, Madison E. Blessing and Andersen L. Blessing; six great grandchildren: Lamiah N. Santos, Jazzlynn M. Blessing, Adalena R. Santos, Mario Santos, Jr., Cason A. Weidner and Evenee S. Weidner; a brother: Frederick Blessing and two sisters: Margaret (Blessing) Ledford and her husband, Howard and Catherine (Blessing) Calhoun and her husband, Junior.
In addition to his parents, Richard is predeceased by a son: Richard L. Blessing, Jr.; a granddaughter: Brittany L. Nies; a great grandson: Isaiah E. Blessing; three brothers and four sisters.
A funeral service will be Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 1pm in Theo C. Auman Funeral Home, 247 Penn St., Reading, PA 19601. The viewing will be in the funeral home on Tuesday from 11am to 1pm. Burial will be in Berks County Memorial Gardens, Fleetwood.
Fond memories and condolences may be shared at www.TheoCAuman.com
- Marie Blessing, Mother
- John Blessing Sr., Father
- Marion E. Blessing, Spouse
- Richard L. Blessing Jr., Son
- Frederick A. Blessing, Son
- Robin A. Crammer, Son
- Brian K. Crammer, Son-in-law
- Troy A. Blessing, Son
- Valerie M. Blessing, Daughter-in-law
- Derick L. Blessing, Son
- Vanessa M. Blessing, Grandchild
- Latisha M. Blessing, Grandchild
- Richard L. Blessing lll, Grandchild
- Vatoya A. Blessing, Grandchild
- Justin A. Nies, Grandchild
- Tristan M. Crammer, Grandchild
- Destin M. Crammer, Grandchild
- Troy A. Blessing Jr., Grandchild
- Carissa M. Blessing, Grandchild
- Zoeigh M. Blessing, Grandchild
- Madison E. Blessing, Grandchild
- Andersen L. Blessing, Grandchild
- Brittany L. Nies, Grandchild
- Lamiah N. Santos, Great Grandchild
- Jazzlynn M. Blessing, Great Grandchild
- Adalena R. Santos, Great Grandchild
- Mario Santos Jr., Great Grandchild
- Cason A. Weidner, Great Grandchild
- Evenee S. Weidner, Great Grandchild
- Isaiah E. Blessing, Great Grandson
- Frederisk Blessing, Brother
- Margaret Ledford, Sister
- Howard Ledford, Brother-in-law
- Catherine Calhoun, Sister
- Junior Calhoun, Brother-in-law
- Richard is predeceased by three brother's and four sister's.
- Viewing Tuesday, April 17, 2018
- Funeral Service Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Richard Leo Blessing Sr.
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
receive updates when new memories are postedRECEIVE UPDATES
April 16, 2018
Uncle Rich was a wonderful man,Respectable,kind hearted,stern but fair,honest,loyal. I miss running into him an aunt marion cause he would chat with me no matter the rush we were in an always ask how the family was an to tell them Hi,an that he loved us all. For heaven has gained a great sole in Richard Blessing now he may relax with passed loved ones an cherish new memories in our Heavenly Kindom. God Bless us all.
April 14, 2018
So sorry for the loss of my dear Brother Ritch, you will always be in my heart and dearly missed, with all my Love, your Sister Margaret.
April 13, 2018
I’ll always hold dear in my heart ❤️ the memories of all of us going camping, fishing and to the shore. To the family which we all are, we lost a body but gained an angel. Fly high Uncle Rich you are among the best up there. You will forever be apart of all you touched.