Augustine "Augie" L. Sumpter
August 21, 1934 – September 27, 2019
Mrs. Augustine “Augie” Sumpter August 21, 1934 - September 27, 2019
Our beloved mother, grandmother, great grandmother, sister, aunt, great aunt and friend passed away with her loving family by her side in Summerville, SC on September 27th, 2019.
Augustine Borisuk was born on August 21st,1934 in St. Louis Missouri to Joseph and Josephine Borisuk. From an early age Augie was asked to join the work force and help the family, she worked many of years in the kitchen at Firmin Desloge Hospital and then assembling ceiling fans at the Cass Fan company so that the family could put food on the table.
At the age of 19 she met Verlin Sumpter while working at Firmin Desloge Hospital and little did she know her destiny as a wife and mother would be set into motion.
Verlin and Augustine were married for 49 years until his death in 2002. As a young mother Augie had to overcome the death of her first-born son David Allen, but her strong motherly instinct would not let this tragedy affect her family. Augie and Verlin went on to raise two girls and two boys in Ferguson, Mo. The family later moved to Bowling Green Kentucky, Elizabethtown Kentucky, Waterloo Illinois and Summerville South Carolina which was a testament to Augie’s adaptability. Even at the age of 70 she was able to get a job in the kitchen at the Oak Hill nursing home in Waterloo, IL to stay active.
Augie enjoyed sewing, painting, bingo, bowling, casinos, coloring and most of all family and friends. Her love for Elvis Presley was with her to the end and always enjoyed attending Steve Davis shows in and around Waterloo, IL.
Augie is survived by her sister Irene (Oliver) Wirthlin, two daughters Irene (Mike) Riley, Paula (Scott) Anderson; two sons James (Patti) Sumpter and Tim (Theresa) Sumpter; Grandchildren, Robert Hunt, Rachel (Justin) Shelman, David Sumpter, Daniel Sumpter, David (Alli) Meyer, Caitlyn (Hannah) Schweickart, Bradley Sumpter; Great grandchildren Mikayla Meyer, Iris Meyer and Vera Meyer.
Augie is preceded in death by her husband Verlin Sumpter; son David Allen; grandson Aaron Hunt; her parents Joseph and Josephine Borisuk, sisters Stella Dressler, Sophie Borisuk, Mary Jordan, Joann Chiodini; brothers Julius Borisuk and Henry Borisuk. Augie was a loving person that would give the shirt off her back to anyone in need.
Viewing will be held Thursday, October 3rd, 2019 from 4:00 to 8:00 pm and the Funeral Services will be held Friday, October 4th, 2019 at 9:30 am at the Hoffmeister South County Chapel, 1515 Lemay Ferry Rd, St. Louis, MO 63125
- Joseph Henry Borisuk, Father (deceased)
- Josephine Borisuk, Mother (deceased)
- Verlin Sumpter, Husband (deceased)
- David Allen Sumpter, Son (deceased)
- Irene (Mike) Riley, Daughter
- Paula (Scott) Anderson, Daughter
- James (Patti) Sumpter, Son
- Tim (Theresa) Sumpter, Son
- Robert Hunt, Grandchild
- Aaron Hunt, Grandchild (deceased)
- Rachel (Justin) Shelman, Grandchild
- David Sumpter, Grandchild
- Daniel Sumpter, Grandchild
- David (Alli) Meyer, Grandchild
- Caitlyn (Hannah) Schweickart, Grandchild
- Bradley Sumpter, Grandchild
- Mikayla Meyer, Great Grandchild
- Iris Meyer, Great Grandchild
- Vera Meyer, Great Grandchild
- Irene (Oliver) Wirthlin, Sister
- Stella Dressler, Sister (deceased)
- Sophie Borisuk, Sister (deceased)
- Mary Jordan, Sister (deceased)
- Joann Chiodini, Sister (deceased)
- Julius Borisuk, Brother (deceased)
- Henry Borisuk, Brother (deceased)
- Visitation Thursday, October 3, 2019
- Funeral Service Friday, October 4, 2019
- Committal Friday, October 4, 2019
Augustine "Augie" L. Sumpter
October 1, 2019
Sending my sincere sympathy in the loss of Augie. She was an amazing person. I have a painting she did for me once while I was working at FNB. I will cherish it forever. May God grant you comfort and peace as you go through the coming days.