John Joseph Schulte Sr.
May 16, 1935 – August 23, 2020
Schulte, John Joseph, Sr. “Jack”, 85, fortified with the Sacraments of the Holy Mother Church on August 23, 2020.
Beloved husband of Mary Jane Schulte (nee Blome), loving father of John (Lisa) Schulte, Jr., Jeff (Teri) Schulte, and Jim Schulte (Ken Goldberg). Dear grandfather of nine. Son of Brayman and Doris Schulte, dear brother to the late Jean (Ed) Wilks, Bud (Shirley) Schulte, Dick (Ginny) Schulte and Barbara (Jack) McQuillan. Brother-in-law to late Jim (Mary) Blome and Les (Joan) Meyer.
Jack was born May 16, 1935 in Belleville, IL, the youngest of five children. An all-around athlete at Cathedral High School and Quincy College, he also attended St. Mary’s University, San Antonio, and University of Nebraska. Subsequently, he served in the U.S. Navy 1957-1959 stationed on the USS Franklin Roosevelt.
Returning to his hometown after military service, Jack searched for his love and future wife, Jane, by then second-grade teacher of his niece. Both Jack and Jane maintained secret crushes on the other since grade school. Mom remembered Dad as handsome, always smiling, and always late to church. They married at St. Peter’s Cathedral on July 29, 1961, and were most proud of the three boys they raised.
Jack was a Chevrolet dealer in Freeburg, IL, as well as long-time sales manager for his brother-in-law at Meyer Oldsmobile. He was an avid sports fan, especially Cardinal baseball and Notre Dame football as well as an aviation and air show enthusiast. His nine grand-children— Lauren, Matt, David, Michael, Catie, Juliette, Clare, Maria and Camille—gave him inspiration and Joy.
Services: Funeral mass at 9 am Friday, August 28, 2020 at Mary Queen of Peace Church, 676 W. Lockwood, Webster Groves, MO 63119, followed by private interment at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent in the memory of Jack Schulte to Missouri Baptist Medical Center 3015 N. Ballas Rd., Creve Coeur, MO 63131, or the American Kidney Fund (AKF), 11921 Rockville Pike, Suite 300. Rockville, MD 20852.
- Brayman Joseph Schulte, Father (deceased)
- Doris Regina (nee Murphy) Schulte, Mother (deceased)
- Mary Jane (nee Blome) Schulte, Wife
- John (Lisa) Schulte, Jr., Son
- Jeff (Teri) Schulte,, Son
- Jim (Ken Goldberg) Schulte, Son
- Jean (Ed) Wilks, Sister (deceased)
- Bud (Shirley) Schulte, Brother (deceased)
- Dick (Ginny) Schulte, Brother (deceased)
- Barbara (Jack) McQuillan, Sister (deceased)
- Jim (Mary) Blome, Brother-in-law (deceased)
- Les (Joan) Meyer, Brother-in-law (deceased)
- Lauren Schulte, Granddaughter
- Matt Schulte, Grandson
- David Schulte, Grandson
- Michael Schulte, Grandson
- Catie Schulte, Granddaughter
- Juliette Schulte, Granddaughter
- Clare Schulte, Granddaughter
- Maria Schulte, Granddaughter
- Camille Schulte, Granddaughter
Learn more about the Schulte name
Mass of Christian Burial
Friday, August 28, 2020
John Joseph Schulte Sr.
August 26, 2020
Dear Schulte family. I was sorry to hear of your dad’s passing. I remember him to be full of life and a lot of fun. I will pray for your family. Take care. Cathy Hudson
August 25, 2020
I have always enjoyed my time when ever we visited to see Uncle Jack. Being with him and Aunt Jane was like being at a second home.
With much love.