Velma Jean (Gleaton) Ellis
November 10, 1932 – August 25, 2018
ELLIS, Velma J. Gleaton, 85, passed away Sat. Aug. 25th at home. A native of Gulport, FL. She was currently employed at St. Anthony’s Hospital, a former cafeteria manager with the Pinellas County School System and worked many years at Bayfront Medical Center. She was an active member of Pasadena Community Church, a member of UMW and a retired Sunday School teacher. Velma was a member for 36 years with the Ladies Oriental Shrine, North America, Tahuti Court # 44, a member of The Order of the Eastern Star –Bethlehem Chapter # 169 and Daughters of the Nile – Elim Temple, # 76. She attended St Pete High School and Alumni activities.
She is preceded in death by her mother and father, Wessie L. (Gibson) and Jesse L. Gleaton; brothers, J.L. and Raymond "Bubba" Gleaton and husband, William V. Ellis.
Velma is survived by her daughter, Pat Phetteplace (Henry); son, Robert Ellis; daughters, Jessie Ellis-Jamison (Walter “Jay”, III), Debra Ellis-Abney (Rick); Tina Wood; Connie Thibodeaux (Sherman “Jake”); 12 grandchildren, John Bruce Livingston (Mandie), Jeremy Ellis (Laura), William Ellis, Melissa Lester (Patrick), Walt Jamison, Evan Jamison, Elena Jamison, Tiffany Wood, Trevor Wood, Madisyn Thibodeaux, Olivia Thibodeaux and Zen and 7 great grandchildren, Daniel Livingston, Ryan Livingston, Emily Ellis, Devon Ellis, Mackenzie Lester, Korbin Lester and Rorie Lester and her loving dogs, Mardi and the late Shelly.
The family received friends 2-4pm and 6-8pm, Thursday, August 30, 2018 at David C. Gross Funeral Homes, Central Ave Chapel, St. Petersburg, FL 33707. Funeral services held 12 noon, Friday, August 31, 2018 at Pasadena Community Church, 227 70th Street South, St. Petersburg, FL 33707 followed by the committal prayers and butterfly release by her grandchildren at Royal Palm Cemetery – South; 101 55th Street South, St. Petersburg, FL 33707.
Flowers accepted or donations may be made in her memory to: Ladies Oriental Shrine, North America, Tahuti Court # 44.
Please visit her websites to view additional information and share condolences and memories at www.davidcgross.com and www.gardensanctuaryfunerals.com
- William V. Ellis, Husband
- Patricia Ann Phetteplace, Daughter
- Henry Phetteplace, Son-in-law
- Robert Samuel Ellis, Son
- Jessie Loraine Ellis-Jamison, Daughter
- Walter "Jay" Jamison III, Son-in-law
- Debra Jean Ellis-Abney, Daughter
- Rick D Abney, Son-in-law
- Tina Louise Wood, Daughter
- Connie Lee Thibodeaux, Daughter
- Sherman "Jake" Thibodeaux, Son-in-law
- She is also survived by her 12 Grandchildren, John Bruce Livingston, Jr (Mandie), Jeremy (Laura) and William Ellis, Melissa (Patrick) Lester, Walt, Evan and Elena Jamison, Tiffany and Trevor Wood, Madisyn and Olivia Thibodeaux and Zen; and 7 Great Grandchildren, Daniel and Ryan Livingston, Emily and Devon Ellis, MacKenzie, Korbin and Rorie Lester.
- Robert Ellis, Pallbearer
- John Bruce Livingston, Jr., Pallbearer
- Jeremy Ellis, Pallbearer
- William Ellis
- Sherman "Jake" Thibodeaux, Pallbearer
- Trevor Wood, Pallbearer
- Daniel Livingston, Pallbearer
- Ryan Livington
- Ladies Oriental Shrine, North America, Tahuti Court # 44.
- Visitation Thursday, August 30, 2018
- Funeral Service Friday, August 31, 2018
- Committal Service Friday, August 31, 2018
Velma Jean (Gleaton) Ellis
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
August 30, 2018
Debra and family:
We are so sorry to have learned of your mom's passing. It was such a pleasure to see her periodically when she would stop by to see us at Garden Sanctuary to show us her new outfit or new haircut. She was a special lady and I am glad I was able to share her with you. Always remember she will always be with you in spirit and remember all the wonderful times you shared with your mom. Memories are the best and can be comforting when necessary. Love to you and your family. Dottie & Warren Willets.
August 29, 2018
Dear Debra and Family my condolences on your loss I very much enjoyed the tribute movie of all the memories - you can see Velma's happiness was her family - Take Care All