October 21, 1929 – November 4, 2018
Patricia Jean Purnell Holtsclaw (Pat), 89, passed away peacefully on Sunday, November 4, 2018 in Shreveport, La. Visitation will be held at St. Matthias Episcopal Church, 3301 St. Matthias Drive, in Shreveport at 1:00 pm on Wednesday, November 7. Services will follow at 2:00 pm with The Rev. Dr. Bill McBride presiding. Burial will immediately follow at Centuries Memorial Funeral Home, 8801 Mansfield Rd. in Shreveport.
Patricia was born in Marshall, Texas on October 21, 1929 to parents John and Helen Frazee Purnell. She was preceded in death by her parents, her husband of 57 years, Charles William Holtsclaw Jr. (Bill), her sister Barbara Heirs, and her eldest daughter, Mary Susan Holtsclaw.
Patricia attended Centenary College and soon married Bill Holtsclaw on November 24, 1949. Together they had six children: Mary Susan Holtsclaw, formerly of Overton, TX, Martha Holtsclaw Brantley of Bossier City, La, Carol Holtsclaw Robinson and husband Monte of Bossier City, LA, Laura Holtsclaw Williamson and husband Mark of Shreveport, LA, John Holtsclaw of Shreveport, LA, and James Holtsclaw (Jim) and wife Kim, also of Shreveport, La. Fourteen grandchildren: Chris James, Adam James (Melissa), Lee Yancey (David), Lauren Carlisle (Josh), Robert Brantley (Cindy), David Brantley (Shannon), Kori Connell (Paul), Rachel Valentine (Michael), Rebecca Robinson, Lindsay Jensen (Geoff), Braden Robinson (Audrey), Garrett Holtsclaw (Rachel), Derek Holtsclaw (Elizabeth), Casey Guerra (Prentis). She was known as “Great” to her 25 great-grandchildren, and held a special place in her heart for her numerous nieces and nephews and her sister-in-laws: Maurine Locke of Shreveport, LA, Mary Martin and husband Marshall, of Shreveport, LA; Jane Thompson of Shreveport, LA; Anne Bickham and husband Bill, also of Shreveport.
Patricia was a homemaker who gave everything she had to build a close family. She will always be remembered for “feeding the masses” during weekly Sunday dinners, especially as the family grew with the addition of many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She and Bill hosted annual Christmas Eve gatherings with extended family for fifty years. She also looked forward to their annual family trip to Florida, a tradition that continues today. Her family meant a great deal to her and she will be deeply missed.
The family would like to thank caregivers: Cathy, Beulah, Katrina, Eileen, Virginia, and the staff of Southern Care Hospice and Montclair for their kindness and compassion. In addition, the family would like to thank Mr. Leigh Martin, for lovingly sharing his musical talents with the residents of Montclair and his Aunt Pat.
In Lieu of Flowers, donations may be made in Patricia’s name to the donor’s organization of choice.
- Martha Holtsclaw Brantley, Daughter
- Carol Holtsclaw Robinson and husband Monte, Daughter
- Laura Holtsclaw Williamson and husband Mark, Daughter
- John Holtsclaw, Son
- James "Jim" Holtsclaw and wife Kim, Son
- Chris James, Grandchild
- Adam James and wife Melissa, Grandchild
- Lee Yancey and husband David, Grandchild
- Lauren Carlisle and husband Josh, Grandchild
- Robert Brantley and wife Cindy, Grandchild
- David Brantley and wife Shannon, Grandchild
- Kori Connell and husband Paul, Grandchild
- Rachel Valentine and husband Michael, Grandchild
- Rebecca Robinson, Grandchild
- Lindsay Jensen and husband Geoff, Grandchild
- Braden Robinson and wife Audrey, Grandchild
- Garrett Holtsclaw and wife Rachel, Grandchild
- Derek Holtsclaw and wife Elizabeth, Grandchild
- Casey Guerra and husband Prentis, Grandchild
- Maurine Locke, Sister-in-law
- Mary Martin and husband Marshall, Sister-in-law
- Jane Thompson, Sister-in-law
- Anne Bickham and husband Bill, Sister-in-law
- Charles William Holtsclaw Jr., Husband
- Mary Susan Holtsclaw, Daughter
- John Purnell, Father
- Helen Frazee Purnell, Mother
- Barbara Purnell Heirs, Sister
- She is also survived by 25 great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews, that had a special place in her heart.
- Chris James
- Adam James
- Robert Brantley
- David Brantley
- Braden Robinson
- Garrett Holtsclaw
- Derek Holtsclaw
- Visitation Wednesday, November 7, 2018
- Funeral Service Wednesday, November 7, 2018
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY