Roy Thomas Pruitt Jr.
September 18, 1929 – June 10, 2018
I Praise God that I live in a Nation that is protected by soldiers who wake up every morning with just one goal in mind: to fight for freedom...
Roy Thomas Pruitt, Jr., age 88, passed away peacefully on Sunday ~ June 10, 2018 at the Caromont Regional Medical Center in Gastonia, North Carolina. Roy served his Country Honorably in the United States Army as an MP during the Korean War along with being awarded in combat the Purple Heart and the Korean Service Medal with 3 Bronze Service Stars. Because of what he did, the United States of America remains free today. Roy was a man of God. He was a member of the Trinity Full Gospel Church. He loved singing in Church as a child and continuing through his adulthood. When Roy was a young man, he grew up on a tobacco farm and helped his dad with the tobacco crop. Roy will always be known as a good and loyal husband, a wonderful dad, granddad and great granddad. He was always helping others, never met a stranger and could carry on a conversation with anyone. His family and friends will miss him dearly as the leader of the family and his love for raisin cream pies.
Those left behind to cherish Roy's memories and carry on his legacy are his two daughters and son in law: Myra Nadine Murphy of Belmont, North Carolina, Susan Pruitt Gately and Isaac Gately of Mooresville, North Carolina; one son: Richard Thomas Pruitt of Stanley, North Carolina; five grandchildren: Maria DeBrosse (who was more of a daughter to him than a granddaughter) and husband Mathew, Justin Ross Gately, Ava Elizabeth Gately, Addison Leigh Gately, Jackson John Gately, Melissa Grimsley (wife of deceased grandson Michael Packett); four great grandchildren: Emma Lyn DeBrosse, Henry Matthew DeBrosse, Peyton Joseph Packett and Sophie Marie Packett; two brothers: Leonard Pruitt and Vern Pruitt.
Roy was the son of the late Roy Thomas Pruitt, Sr. and Annie Sue Jones Pruitt. He was also preceded in death by his loving and devoted wife of 42 years, Evelyn Durham Pruitt who passed away in 2008; one grandson: Michael Joseph Packett; two sisters and five brothers.
Graveside and Committal service with military honors accorded by the United States Army and the Gaston County Honor Guard will be conducted at 2:00 PM, Tuesday ~ June 12, 2018 in the Chimes Garden at Hillcrest Gardens, 1508 Charles Raper Jonas Highway, Mount Holly, North Carolina 28120 with Reverend David Livingston delivering words of Comfort and Hope to Roy's family and friends.
Online condolences and expressions of love can be written on Roy's guestbook at www.carothersfuneralhomestanley.com
Carothers Funeral Home of Stanley is honored to be serving the family of Roy Thomas Pruitt, Jr.
- Roy Thomas Pruitt Sr., Deceased Father
- Annie Sue Jones Pruitt, Deceased Mother
- Evelyn Durham Pruitt, Deceased Wife
- Richard Thomas Pruitt, Son
- Myra Nadine Murphy, Daughter
- Maria DeBrosse, Granddaughter
- Matthew DeBrosse, Husband of Maria
- Emma Lyn DeBrosse, Great Granddaughter
- Henry Matthew DeBrosse, Great Grandson
- Michael Joseph Packett, Deceased Grandson
- Melissa Grimsley, Wife of Michael
- Sophie Marie Packett, Great Granddaughter
- Peyton Joseph Packett, Great Grandson
- Susan Pruitt Gately, Daughter
- Isaac Gately, Son-in-law
- Justin Ross Gately, Grandson
- Ava Elizabeth Gately, Granddaughter
- Addison Leigh Gately, Granddaughter
- Jackson John Gately, Grandson
- Leonard Pruitt, Brother
- Vern Pruitt, Brother
- Roy was also preceded in death by two sisters and five brothers.
- Graveside and Committal Service with Military Honors Accorded by the Gaston County Honor Guard Tuesday, June 12, 2018
Roy Thomas Pruitt Jr.
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY