William Oscar "Billy" Lewis Sr.
February 4, 1937 – May 16, 2018
William O. “Billy” Lewis, Sr., age 81, passed away Wednesday, May 16, 2018 in his residence under the care of Ogeechee Area Hospice surrounded by his loving family.
Mr. Lewis was born in Stilson and was raised in Savannah. While in Savannah, he attended Barnard Street School, Chatham Junior High School and Commercial High School. After high school, Billy returned to Stilson and began working as a boilermaker and mechanic with Local #26 of Savannah and worked there for 42 years until his retirement. He was a member of Hubert United Methodist Church, Guyton Blue Lodge, where he was a 32nd degree Mason, the Scottish Rite and the Shriners. Billy enjoyed dirt track racing and owed and raced his own car. Billy was also a HAM Radio operator and loved to water ski and listening to country music.
Billy was preceded in death by his parents, Oscar and Wilma Lucile Brown Lewis and his brother and sister-in-law, James and Catherine Lewis.
Mr. Lewis is survived by his wife, Dorothy M. Lewis of Stilson; sons, William Oscar Lewis, Jr. and wife, Patricia; daughters, Glenda Fail and husband, Clate; Donna Blitch and husband, Jeffery; Susan Beasley and husband, Jeffrey all of Stilson; Sandra Toy of Statesboro and Kristy Lewis of Springfield, IL; brother, H. Frank Lewis and wife, Myra of Guyton; 12 grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; many nieces and nephews and his beloved dog, Honey Bun.
A gathering of family and friends will be 5:00 to 7:00 PM Friday, May 18, 2018 in Hodges-Moore Funeral Home.
The funeral service will be held 11:00 Saturday, May 19, 2018 in the chapel of Hodges-Moore Funeral Home with Reverend Jay Williams and Brother Mel Shuman officiating.
Burial will be in Bulloch Memorial Gardens.
Pallbearers will be Jud Blitch, Jeffrey Beasley, Jr., Scotty Lewis, Clate Fail, Christopher Fail and Tim Lewis.
Honorary pallbearers will members of the Guyton Blue Masonic Lodge and the Boilermakers Local 26.
Please visit our online memorial at www.hodgesmoore.com to sign the guest book and share fond memories with the Lewis family.
In lieu of customary remembrance, memorial contributions may be directed to Ogeechee Area Hospice, P.O. Box 531, Statesboro, GA 30459.
Hodges-Moore Funeral Home is in charge of funeral arrangements.
- Dorothy M. Lewis, Wife
- William Oscar Lewis (Patricia) Jr., Son
- Glenda Fail (Clate), Daughter
- Donna Blitch (Jeffery), Daughter
- Susan Beasley (Jeffrey), Daughter
- Sandra Toy, Daughter
- Kristy Lewis, Daughter
- H. Frank Lewis (Myra), Brother
- Oscar Lewis, Father
- Wilma Lucile Brown Lewis, Mother
- James and Catherine Lewis, Brother and Sister-in-law
- Mr. Lewis leave twelve grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews to cherish his memory.
- Jud Blitch, Active Pallbearer
- Jeffrey Beasley, Jr., Active Pallbearer
- Scotty Lewis, Active Pallbearer
- Clate Fail, Active Pallbearer
- Christopher Fail, Active Pallbearer
- Tim Lewis, Active Pallbearer
- Members of Guyton Blue Masonic Lodge, Honorary Pallbearers
- Members of the Boilermakers Local 26, Honorary Pallbearer
Ogeechee Area Hospice
P.O. Box 531, Statesboro, Georgia 30459
- A Gathering of Family and Friends Friday, May 18, 2018
- Funeral Service Saturday, May 19, 2018
William Oscar "Billy" Lewis Sr.
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
receive updates when new memories are postedRECEIVE UPDATES