Mona "Nannie" Castillow
September 13, 1930 – December 1, 2019
Mona Churchwell "Nannie" Castillow, 89, passed away peacefully on Sunday, December 1, 2019, in a local hospital.
Mona was a native of Leakesville, Mississippi and came with her husband, John, to Lake Charles in 1949 as he began his career with J.E. Hixson and Sons Funeral Home. They lived in Lake Charles until 1963 when Sulphur became their home. John continued his career as Mona began hers with a Hixson company, Magnolia Life Insurance. She worked there for over 25 years.
Through the years, she was a member of First Baptist Church of Sulphur, Agin Cajuns Choir, and the Order of the Eastern Star.
Those cherishing many happy memories are her daughters, Keitha Cryer and husband, Steve of Benton, and Denise Harper and husband, Jess of Lake Charles; her brothers, Stacy Churchwell of Merritt Island, Florida and Jimmy Churchwell of Sanford, North Carolina; four grandchildren, Delia Cryer Jeffcoat and husband, Jon of Bossier City, Ashley Cryer McLean and husband, Sohn of Texarkana, Arkansas, Amanda Guillory of Sulphur, and Josh Guillory and wife, Lani of Erath; and six great-grandchildren, Avery Jeffcoat, Kyle Peveto, Macy McLean, Mabry McLean, Cooper Guillory, and Elliot Claire Guillory. Preceding her in death are her husband, Johnny A. Castillow; her parents, George F. and Lucy C. Churchwell; brothers, Hillery Churchwell and George F. Churchwell, Jr; and great-grandson, Colton W. Peveto.
Her funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, December 4, in Hixson-Sulphur Memorial Funeral Home. The Honorable Neil Harris of Vancleave, Mississippi will officiate. Burial will be in Prien Memorial Park Cemetery in Lake Charles. Pallbearers will be Josh Guillory, Kyle Peveto, Jon Jeffcoat, Sohn McLean, Heath Clark, and Jared Hewitt. Visitation is from 5-8 p.m. Tuesday and from 9:30 a.m. until the time of service Wednesday in the funeral home. Words of comfort may be shared with the family at www.hixsonfuneralhomes.com.
- Keitha Cryer (and husband Steve), Daughter
- Denise Harper (and husband Jess), Daughter
- Stacy Churchwell, Brother
- Jimmy Churchwell, Brother
- Delia Cryer Jeffcoat (and husband Jon), Granddaughter
- Ashley Cryer McLean (and husband Sohn), Granddaughter
- Amanda Guillory, Granddaughter
- Josh Guillory (and wife Lani), Grandson
- Avery Jeffcoat, Great Grandchild
- Kyle Peveto, Great Grandchild
- Macy McLean, Great Grandchild
- Mabry McLean, Great Grandchild
- Cooper Guillory, Great Grandchild
- Elliot Claire Guillory, Great Grandchild
- Johnny A. Castillow, Husband (deceased)
- George F. and Lucy C. Churchwell, Parents (deceased)
- Hillery and George F. Churchwell,Jr., siblings (deceased)
- Colton W. Peveto, Great Grandson (deceased)
- Josh Guillory, Pallbearer
- Kyle Peveto, Pallbearer
- Jon Jeffcoat, Pallbearer
- Sohn McLean, Pallbearer
- Heath Clark, Pallbearer
- Jared Hewitt, Pallbearer
- Visitation Tuesday, December 3, 2019
- Visitation Wednesday, December 4, 2019
- Funeral Service Wednesday, December 4, 2019
Mona "Nannie" Castillow
December 4, 2019
I was so sorry to learn of the passing of your dear mother. She always had a sweet smile and a hug for me whenever I saw her. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Susan (DeLouche) Meador