James Roy Hancock
November 12, 1926 – June 12, 2018
James Roy Hancock was born in Metcalf, Georgia on November 12th 1926. After attending Leon High School he enlisted with the U.S. Navy during WW II aboard the USS Franklin. After his service in the military, Roy went on to work at Tallahassee Ford Motor Company where he remained for 50 years before his retirement. After retirement he spent much of his free time working on “wood working projects” that he gifted to his children, grandchildren and friends. Roy, long time member of Thomasville Road Baptist Church and Seminole Boosters, loved life, family, woodworking and the outdoors.
Pops lived a full, noble, happy life and passed peacefully on June 12, 2018 at age 91.
Roy is preceded in death by his first wife: Mattie Lue Hancock; a brother: Dee Hancock and sister: Kathy Scott. He is survived by his second wife whom he has been married to for 20 years: Jackie Barrineau Hancock; sons: Donald Ray (Jeanne) Hancock, Richard Keith (Margaret) Hancock, Randy (Michelle) Barrineau; daughters: Angie Barrineau (Tom) NyKamp, Georgie Barrineau (Carlos) Barrett; brother: Bobby (Joyce) Hancock; sisters: Dorothy (Wendell) Barrineau, Janice Mobley; sister-sin-law: Beth Hancock; 13 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
He will be remembered for this kindness, sense of humor, his lingering words of wisdom and his thoughtfulness. Roy, will be deeply missed by his wife, Jackie, his children and the rest of his family.
Following his service at Thomasville Road Baptist Church he will be interred in MeadowWood Memorial Park with military honors.
- Mattie Lue Hancock, First Wife
- Jackie Barrineau Hancock, Wife
- Donald Ray Hancock, Son
- Jeanne Hancock, Daughter-in-law
- Richard Keith Hancock, Son
- Margaret Hancock, Daughter-in-law
- Randy Barrineau, Son
- Michelle Barrineau, Daughter-in-law
- Angie Barrineau NyKamp, Daughter
- Tom NyKamp, Son-in-law
- Georgie Barrineau Barrett, Daughter
- Carlos Barrett, Son-in-law
- Dorothy Barrineau, Sister
- Wendell Barrineau, Brother-in-law
- Janice Mobley, Sister
- Bobby Hancock, Brother
- Joyce Hancock, Sister-in-law
- Dee Hancock, Brother
- Beth Hancock, Sister-in-law
- Kathy Scott, Sister
- Family to receive friends Saturday, June 16, 2018
- Funeral Service Saturday, June 16, 2018
- Burial with Military Honors Saturday, June 16, 2018
James Roy Hancock
June 14, 2018
Well where to start Granddaddy loved to build furniture and I got to help or just get in the way but he always made me feel like I was helping so I'll go with that. He tricked us (Justin, Charlie, and myself) into cutting the grass aka driving the tractor or riding mower. The thing I think I'll miss the most is the stories he could tell.