Laura Elizabeth "Betty" Simpkins
August 7, 1924 – August 10, 2019
Laura Elizabeth “Betty” (Cobb) Simpkins, 95, beloved wife, mother, sister, grandmother and aunt died on August 10, 2019. She was born on August 7, 1924 in Los Angeles, California to Milo and Laura (Taylor) Cobb. She grew up in Fillmore, California. While attending junior college in Phoenix, she met her future husband, James (Jim) Simpkins. She continued her education at the University of California Berkeley. She married Jim in 1944, and followed him across country as he served in the Navy. After settling in San Carlos, California, she joined the Community Congregational Church. She became a Sunday School teacher and joined several women’s clubs. In the mid-60s, she was the supervisor in the development lab at Raychem Corporation, a job that she loved. She moved to Plainfield, Illinois in 1970 with her husband and three youngest children, and then to Goddard, Kansas in 1974, where she resided until her passing. She made many wonderful friends from the Goddard United Methodist Church, UMW, and the Goddard Woman’s Club. She loved to travel throughout the Country and overseas. She enjoyed Bridge, games with her family, genealogy, bowling, and square dancing. She was a friend to all. She was preceded in death by her parents, her sister and brother-in-law Priscilla and Gene Baker, her brother-in-law Glen Phillips, her brother-in-law and sister-in-law Harvey and Patricia Simpkins, her daughter-in-law Charlotte (Haller) Simpkins, son-in-law Darrell Pauls, and nephew Edward Simpkins. Surviving are her sister Harriet Fremlin, her sons Dana (Nancy) and Milo (Julia) and her daughters Lorrie Gafford, Gwen Paige, Judy Pauls, Elizabeth (Terry) Brickman and Jamie (Les) Adkins. Also survived by 20 grandchildren and 48 great-grandchildren and a league of nieces and nephews. The memorial service will be at the Goddard United Methodist Church on Tuesday, August 20 at 11 a.m. Graveside service will follow at Resthaven Cemetery. Memorial contributions are suggested to Goddard United Methodist Church or Phoenix Hospice.
- Harriet Fremlin, Sister
- Dana (Nancy) Simpkins, Son
- Milo (Julia) Simpkins, Son
- Lorrie Gafford, Daughter
- Gwen Paige, Daughter
- Judy Pauls, Daughter
- Elizabeth (Terry) Brickman, Daughter
- Jamie (Les) Adkins, Daughter
- Milo Cobb, Father (deceased)
- Laura (Taylor) Cobb, Mother (deceased)
- Priscilla Baker, Sister (deceased)
- Gene Baker, Brother-in-law (deceased)
- Glen Phillips, Brother-in-law (deceased)
- Harvey Simpkins, Brother-in-law (deceased)
- Patricia Simpkins, Sister-in-law (deceased)
- Charlotte (Haller) Simpkins, Daughter-in-law (deceased)
- Darrell Pauls, Son-in-law (deceased)
- Edward Simpkins, Nephew (deceased)
- Betty also leaves behind 20 grandchildren, 48 great-grandchildren, and a league of nieces and nephews to cherish her memory.
- Lisa Burkhalter, Pallbearer
- Bryan Pauls, Pallbearer
- Emily Lipgens, Pallbearer
- Michael Pauls, Pallbearer
- Christina Spain, Pallbearer
- James Brickman, Pallbearer
- Molly Wilkins, Pallbearer
- Kathryn Pauls, Pallbearer
Goddard United Methodist Church
300 North Cedar, Goddard, Kansas 67502
3450 North Rock Road Building 200, 213 , Wichita, Kansas 67226
- Visitation Monday, August 19, 2019
- Funeral Service Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Laura Elizabeth "Betty" Simpkins
Megan Gorden Morreale
August 20, 2019
I was young and wanted a piece of pie. She told me it was ok to eat pie first before the main course ... once in a while. She denied that comment later in front of my mom :). I always remember the sparkle in her eye when she let me have the pie. The idea was ground breaking for me at the time. I have used that piece of advice on more than dessert.
Sometimes in life you should eat your dessert first!
August 18, 2019
I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. She was a very sweet and kind person. Always cherish the memories you have with her.
August 16, 2019
To the family of Betty,
Your mother was a beautiful lady inside and out.. We sit together in church, went to Bible study together and always enjoyed being with her... I will miss dearly..