Diane Rose Horman

November 14, 1939January 10, 2019
Play Tribute Movie

79, of Woodbury, passed away peacefully surrounded by family on Thursday, January 10, 2019.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Sylvester; sister; and nephew.

Diane will be missed by her daughters, Pam Horman and Kay Styka; many grandchildren; great-grandchildren; one great great-grandson; other family and friends.

Memorial Service will be Wednesday, February 6 at 11 AM with visitation one hour prior at Wulff Woodbury Funeral Home, 2195 Woodlane Dr., Woodbury.

Interment at Fort Snelling National Cemetery.


  • Diane was preceded in death by her Husband, Sylvester; Sister; and Nephew.

    She will be missed by her Daughters, Pam Horman and Kay Styka; many Grandchildren; Great-Grandchildren; one Great-Great-Grandson; other Family and Friends.


  • Visitation Wednesday, February 6, 2019
  • Memorial Service Wednesday, February 6, 2019
  • Committal Service Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Diane Rose Horman

have a memory or condolence to add?

Suzan Aronson

February 1, 2019

We'll always remember the good times we had on our trips to together with Pork and Diane into Mexico, to San Diego, and out to Las Vegas. We shared the old car hobby and went to car shows together when we all lived in MN. Diane had the '56 Ford Crown Victoria and we had '50 Packard. That's just the tip of the iceberg of the cars that we had over the 50+ years.
Rest in Peace Diane.
Suzan and Jon Aronson



My name is Kay, and I am Diane's daughter.

By the time I met my mother, on October 24, 2014, she had already lived a full, rich life, and had been a gift to all those whose lives she touched.

My mom was born on November 14, 1939, to Elsie, who taught piano, and Paul, who was a butcher on the first floor, below their apartment.

When my mom was only 1 1/2 yrs. old, her dad passed away suddenly, so she, her brother, Donald, and sister, Jan, were raised by their single mother.

Diane grew up loving to assemble Jigsaw Puzzles, sing, Tap dance, and sketch people’s faces. She would perform Tap with her sister, Jan, and they so good that they were invited to perform for the Mayor of Minneapolis.

It must be a mother-daughter thing, because her mother, Elsie, would not teach Diane to play the piano. Instead, Elsie sent her to a good friend for lessons.

After graduating High School, Diane enrolled in Secretarial Classes in college.

Diane dated a man for a while, but he ended up breaking up with her to go back to an old girlfriend. Diane found out just afterwards, that she was pregnant with me. She chose not to tell her ex-boyfriend. She didn't even tell her own mother.

She made the difficult decision that she would take a train to Milwaukee and go to a Home For Unwed Mothers, and give me up for adoption.

With Diane's mother struggling to make ends meet to feed 3 kids, she didn't want to burden her with another mouth to feed.

She left a note telling her mother where she had gone and why. When her mother found the note, she immediately got on the train to spend time with her daughter, and let her know that she was loved.

The Director of the Home For Unwed Mothers was so impressed with my mom's maturity and courage, that the she hired my mom to care for her own daughter who was pregnant and unmarried, until my mom gave birth.

Diane gave birth to me on March 14, 1960, when she was 20 years old.

Diane was determined to spend time feeding me during the 3 days that we were at the hospital, before I was to be taken to a Foster Home, and she wouldn't take no for an answer. You see, mothers and babies who were to be given up for Adoption, were typically kept apart. Diane persisted, and against their wishes she was permitted to feed me.

She gave me her name, Diane Rose Gabriel, on my Birth Certificate, just in case it would help reunite us in the future.

A photographer was in the hospital taking “New Born” photos, and took a photo of me for my mom.

My mother, Diane, then returned to Minneapolis and was soon hired as a Proof Reader of Briefs for a large Law Firm, where she would work for the next 20 years.

Within the first year following my birth, my mom met a wonderful man named Sylvester. Most of you know him as "Pork". My mom was delivering paperwork to Industrial Steel, where Pork drove Semi.

Pork, with a chuckle and a grin, later shared with me that all it took was Diane bending over to get a cup of coffee out of the Coffee Dispenser, and he fell in love with her! My mom always chuckled when he shared this cute story.

My mom married Pork within a year, and she found out after sharing with him that she had given me up for adoption, that he would have loved to help raise me as his own, but this was not to be.

By this time, I had been adopted by a loving couple, who already had one son. My new brother and I were inseparable, and my parents adopted another baby girl three years later. I was raised as their own, and I was encouraged to be all that I could be.

A new Birth Certificate was created with my adoptive parent’s names, Jack and Barbara, to hide the identity of my Birthparents. It also listed the name my new parents gave me, Catherine Styza.

Pork had been previously married to Patricia, and they had a daughter together, Pam. She was now about 3 years old, and my mom was thrilled to help raise her.

Pork and my mom loved attending Car Shows, the joined a National Organization which awarded prizes to the best Cars in several classes. Through the next several years they would seek out older model cars that could be restored by a very capable friend, and then be shown and sold. My mom found a red and white 1956 Crown Victoria that she had restored. It won both the Best Car nationally, and in Canada!

Their daughter, Pam, grew up and married. She had three beautiful children, Aliyah, Taya and Nez.

Pork and my mom loved to spend time with Pam, Pam's kids, and with her nieces and nephews. There are photos all over the house of those they hold close to their hearts.

Pork and my mom loved their Ragdoll cats through their years together. My mom participated in Cat Shows, and won awards for some of them.

They also collected gorgeous, antique clocks that came from all over the world. One was from a castle in Europe.

Their family continued to grow as Pam's children grew and had families of their own. Pam would host some of the holiday parties at her own home.

In the mean time, my Adoptive parents divorced, and my mother moved with my younger sister and me to San Diego, CA in 1974. I remained there 14 years, until I return to Milwaukee to work at my dad's company in 1989.

Diane and Pork lived most of their lives in Minneapolis, where Pork drove Semi, and Diane worked at the Law Firm. Pork developed Diabetes, and poor vision, so he had to give up driving Semi.

In 1982, Pork was offered a job at the Lawrence Welk Resort, in San Diego, CA. He was in charge of Security, and he drove the Tour Trolleys. They lived in a beautiful mobile home on location.

My mom went to work for a Law Firm in San Diego, where she would remain for another 20 years.

When Pork was real busy, my mom would help out by driving the Tour Trolley. She was very generous with her time, and she enjoyed helping Pork.

Pam, and her daughter, Tina, went out to San Diego and stayed with Pork and Diane for several months. Their company was enjoyed, and it was great to be together again.

In 2006, Pork and Diane decided to move back to Minneapolis, because they missed their family so much.

They bought a lovely home in Woodbury, and the family was back together. Diane took many photos of her step-daughter, Pam, her children, Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren. Photos that she would re-visit time and time again as the years went by.

On New Year's Eve, 1999, my Diane had a Kidney Transplant, and retired.

In 2011, Pork was diagnosed with Alzheimer, Diane stayed by his side to love and reassure, and care for him.

Pam, Tina, Tina's daughter Taya, and my mom's Nephews Bud and Roque would visit Diane and Pork often. They helped run errands and make repairs to the house that Pork could no longer handle himself.

As Pork's Alzheimer's Disease progressed, and having lost his vision, my mom decided that each month she would purchase a different Diecast Car Model resembling those that they had admired, bought and sold through the years.

When my mom would hand the Diecast Car to her husband, he could tell you the exact Make and Model Year, and he would add a memory they shared about that car. It brought such joy to both of them! If you would visit their favorite room in their home, the Sunny Sun Porch, you would find over 100 of these cars on display everywhere you look.

People often asked me, "Aren't you curious about who your Birthmother is?", and I would respond, "No, I don't need to, because I have been very blessed with my parents who raised me".

In 2014, in my 54th year, I truly believe that God knocked me upside the head and said, "It is not all about you. You need to let your Birthmother know that you have had a wonderful life, and that she made the right choice at the time to put me up for Adoption, before she leaves this earth.

The next day, I contacted the Wisconsin State Agency that helped me find my Birthmother, Diane.

Pork was currently in the hospital, and my mother had been praying for something good to happen. That is when she received the call from the Wisconsin State Agent. I had prepared a one page letter explaining that I was happy, healthy, blessed, and that I wanted to reassure my Birthmother that she had made the right decision to put me up for Adoption. They spoke for a few minutes, and then the Agent called me.

The Agent explained that she had just spoken to my Birthmother, and that her husband was very ill and in the hospital. My Birthmother's first words were, "I have waited 54 years for this call!"
When the Agent later called me, she said that my mother was a very strong and sweet woman, who wanted to have me contact her, if I wanted to. My mom had given me her phone number, and hoped that I would call soon.

That same night, on Monday, October 6th, 2014, I spoke with my Birthmother, Diane, for the first time.

One of the first questions she asked me was if I was baptized. That was extremely important to her, as she had a strong Catholic faith.

I assured her that I had been baptized as an infant at about 3 months old. I also told her that I was very involved in my church. She was so relieved.

The next thing she said made us both laugh. My mom said, "I am sitting at my kitchen table with the only photo of you taken at the hospital when I gave birth to you, and I have a notepad, so start talking!"

I started my list with the news that I am gay, and that I have been blessed with my wonderful wife, Debbie, who I had been with for 20 years, and who I had just legally married in San Diego about a year ago. Her response was, "I don't know any gay people, but that is fine with me."

We realized that we had both lived in San Diego at the same time!

We both shared our likes and dislikes, hobbies, physical characteristics, and found out that even though we had been apart for 54 years, we had a lot in common. We were both Left-handed, had low voices, and were tall. We were better one-on-one with people than we were in groups, we had similar cats over the years, I enjoyed assembling model cars, that resembled the Diecast ones Pork had, in my youth, our faith was strong, we stayed with the our employers for over 20 years, our politics were the same, and we bought the same pants at Kohls.

From that day forward, every time we discovered something we had in common, my mom would say, “There’s another thing to add to the List!”

When we finished speaking, my mom asked to speak to my wife, Debbie. They shared a wonderful time together on the phone, laughed a lot, and they looked forward to meeting.

We made plans to meet in a few weeks.

Few family members knew of my existence, so my mom had to make several emotional phone calls to invite them to meet me.

Debbie and I first met my mom, Pork, Step-sister, Pam, Niece Tina, and Great Niece, Taya at my mom’s house in Woodbury. When my mom opened her front door, we looked at each other briefly, and then hugged for a long while. It turns out we are both “huggers”. Debbie videotaped the reunion, and she commented, “Oh, your mom has your hands!” Most people don’t understand how it feels to be reunited with their mother after 54 years, and then find out that they look alike.

Pork shared with me that Diane had cried every year on my birthday, and to comfort her, he would always tell her, “Honey, one day your daughter will come knocking on your door.” That’s exactly what happened!

When I wasn’t visiting my mom, we would speak on the phone each week. We would catch up on what was new in our lives, and we would talk about her family.

She was so proud of Pam, who was a hard-working, dedicated Dental Assistant for the past 28 years, how she would bring her dogs over to visit, along with her daughter, Tina, and Granddaughter Taya; how Pam would take Diane grocery shopping, run errands, and occasionally take her to enjoy the afternoon at the Casino.

She would tell me when her Nephew Bud was Coaching Youth Gymnastics, how her Granddaughter, Taya, would call her almost every day while riding her skateboard to work, and about the phone conversations that she had had with other family members, and old friends checking up on her.

She also asked me to pray for her Grandson Tony’s son, Anthony, who had some serious health issues. Diane loved her family, and they loved her right back!

Diane also shared memories with me of her brother, sister, mother, and Nephew, Roque, who had passed away.

Pork passed away peacefully on July 9th, 2015. His wife, Diane, and the entire family were been able to spend time with him sharing cherished memories, and saying goodbye.

My mom truly missed her beloved Pork, and when she passed away last month it was exactly 28 years to the day that my Adoptive-mother passed away. She has been re-united with her dear husband, Pork, and her family. She also finally was able to meet my Adoptive mom, Barbara, who raised her daughter.

I am blessed to have been given the gift of finally meeting my mother, Diane, and I thank God for the time He gave us together.