Richard D. Henderson

August 22, 1937May 24, 2018

Richard D. Henderson, 80 CUMBERLAND - Richard D. Henderson, 80, died at the Maine Veterans Home in Scarborough on Thursday May 24, 2018. He lived and attended schools locally, graduating from South Portland High School. Later he joined the Navy and served in the Mediterranean where he spent much of his time visiting and photographing antiquities in the area. He also received an education in Electronics while serving in the Navy. Later he drove for Trailways at which time he met his first wife. They had four children together whom he adored. During his younger years he built a log cabin camp at Peabody Pond, which much of was built without the use of electricity. For a hobby he built model airplanes, eventually building his own Ultralight which he flew over the Lakes Region area for several years. Also at this time he met his present wife Elizabeth Hay Henderson. They enjoyed traveling to Canada and growing with computers. This led him to volunteering his time to computer networking. He worked in many fields including electronics, driving, the Railroad, insurance, home addition sales, maintenance supervisor and his own business "The Hendyman". He was predeceased by his mother Susanna Coffee Henderson; his brother Philip Henderson; and his stepson Stephen Wilkinson. He is survived by his wife Elizabeth of 31 years; his four children, Scott Henderson, Randall Henderson, Stephanie Henderson and Rebecca Hall, his stepdaughters Suzanne Witthoft and Sarah Young; 15 grandchildren; and one great-grandson, Decklin Thomas Valentine. A Celebration of Life will be held at Lindquist Funeral Home in Yarmouth, Thursday, May 31, at 1 p.m.


  • Celebration of Life Thursday, May 31, 2018

Richard D. Henderson

have a memory or condolence to add?

Susan Owen

May 30, 2018

I'm so sorry about Dick. He was a real special guy to me and also to my daughters.

Susan, Lisa and Amy

dave levesque

May 27, 2018

I worked with "Dickie" at Rigby Yard for Portland Terminal for 20 years. He was a yard clerk and worked 1-9pm as a carder tacking cards on box cars. Best job ever! (except in the middle of a snowstorm). I used to cover for him when he went on vacation. There were a lot of really good people that worked there back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's before Guilford bought out the Maine Central, and Dickie was one of them. I donate reading materials (books) each year to the Maine Veterans Home in Scarboro, and had I known he was there I would have stopped by to see him and pay my respects. I am truly sorry for his families loss and I liked him a lot.

dave levesque