Sally Meltzer Cole

October 29, 1938March 2, 2019
Play Tribute Movie

Sally Cole, 80, passed away on March 2, 2019, in Arlington, Texas. She was born on October 29, 1938, to Parker and Velda Meltzer, in Omaha Nebraska.

Sally moved to Dallas as a young child. She was a proud graduate of Hockaday School. Following High School, she attended Colorado State University and the University of Colorado before attending Flight Attendant school with United Airlines. She was based out of Chicago for two years before returning to DFW to fly for Braniff. During her time with Braniff, she met her future husband, Robert Cole. They enjoyed 54 years of marriage. Sally completed her education at UTA and taught the elementary grades at AISD for 17 years.

Sally collected teddy bears. This started when, as a teacher, she would get them at a garage sale, wash them, maybe repair them and have them ready to give a little student when they were hurting. Sally is survived by her husband Robert Cole; daughters Jennifer and Ashley; son James and his wife Marianne; and Jennifer’s children Henry and Grace.

Funeral Services will be on Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 2:00 p.m. at New World United Methodist Church in Arlington with Committal to follow in Moore Memorial Gardens at 3:30 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, the family would ask consideration of a donation to the Humane Society of North Texas or a charity of their choice.


  • Funeral Service

    Thursday, March 7, 2019

  • Committal Service

    Thursday, March 7, 2019


Sally Meltzer Cole

have a memory or condolence to add?

Robert Cole

January 6, 2020

Letter from Sally's Dad, November 11, 1962
Dear Sally Jo,
I look with anticipation
To this very fine occasion
That needs no strong persuasion
Every year.
Although not the coronation
A more important invitation.
So to show appreciation
I'll be there.
With Love, Dad

Robert Cole

January 6, 2020

Letter from Sally's dad, March 13, 1950
Dear Sally Jo,
Just a note to say,
I'll see you Friday at Hockaday.
For sports, games and get-together,
Let's hope for fair and warmer weather.
Thanks very much for your invitation
I'm sure "Dad's Day'" will be a sensation.
Ten cents you can't guess the time,
It took to write this rhyme.
With Love, Dad

Robert Cole

January 6, 2020

Sally's 1957 Hockaday Annual reads:
"Throughout the past eight years that Sally Jo attended Hockaday, she has proved herself an asset to the class of 1957. She is a sincere and faithful friend.
SJ is a very versatile gal. Her interests include Colorado, where she hopes to go to school, records, cooking, and Tina Katrina, her dog. She shows her love for the outdoors by consistently appearing at the athletic practices and by riding horses every summer in the mountains of Colorado. She is never lacking for conversation and her subtle wit comes into play often.
A desire to like everyone has made Sally Jo more than pleasant to know."


Sally's Baptism, Trinity Cathedral, Omaha,NE - April 8, 1939


Precious little Sally


In Omaha just before move to Dallas




First snow?


Sally's Baptism, Trinity Cathedral, Omaha,NE - April 8, 1939


Precious little Sally


In Omaha just before move to Dallas




First snow?


Sally and her mom


Sally and her mom


Aunt Maude,Sally and Velda


Sally was born in Omaha, Nebraska to loving parents – Parker A. Meltzer and Velda Parker Meltzer. Sally often told the story of how she came by her name. Her parents knew a little girl in Omaha that pedaled her tricycle by their house. The girl was named Sally, and Parker and Velda were so fond of that little girl that they named their new baby Sally. When she was about two years old her parents moved their little family to Dallas where Parker became a sales representative for the Marathon paper company and Velda taught school. Sally was the only child and was much loved. She was sweet and adorable.

Sally came from strong stock. As part of her studies at the University of Texas at Arlington she prepared a paper on her family background. The following excerpt from this paper is included to verify her strong heritage. In Sally’s own words:


My great-great grandfather moved from Germany to Holland and from there to Hazelton, Pennsylvania. These people were known as Pennsylvania Dutch. My great grandfather was sheriff of Hazelton. He was attending a rally one afternoon. He had my grandfather, William, on his shoulders for a better view. Gun shots rang out and my grandfather was shot by one of the Molly Macguires. The Molly Macguires were a secret organization of Irish miners in the late 1800’s who were protesting against unemployment and low wages. Their threats and terror frightened my great grandmother so much that she insisted they move. The family, including eight children moved to Goshen, Indiana.

My dad’s sister always told the story about how my great-great grandmother’s family came over from Essex, Germany in 1850 and settled in Wheeling, West Virginia. Conrad Racer had been sent over by a nobleman to study American agriculture. He managed the nobleman’s estate in Germany. The weather on the ocean voyage to America was so rough that the Racer’s had to remain in their cabin. My great-great grandmother was so sea sick that she refused to return to Germany. In Wheeling they joined a wagon train moving west. Conrad Racer became a wagon train driver for the trip from Council Bluffs, Iowa to Denver, Colorado. My grandmother was born in Council Bluffs in 1862. She attended a German grade school where she spoke and wrote fluent German. She attended the local high school and later taught before she was made principal.

My great grandparents always served their big meal at noon. One day after my great grandmother had set the table and laid out the food, she drove the buggy to town to pick up her husband to bring back for dinner. The two children had remained at home playing ball. Some wandering Indians approached the kitchen and saw the table set with food. They came in, sat down, and ate all the food while the children watched in amazement. The Missouri River had a lot of wild ducks and there was no limit on shooting them in those days. My grandmother’s brother would kill many ducks to eat during the winter; the feathers were used for the pillows and the feather bed.

My grandfather William came on the railroad from Walnut, Illinois to visit a friend. There he met my grandmother and they were married in 1888. My grandparents returned to Walnut where my father (the eighth child) was born in1905. My father’s family moved to Ames, Iowa when he was two years old where my grandfather was president of the bank. They were a very strict German family and were firm believers in education. They made sure that all eight of the children graduated from college.

My father remembers his favorite German dish that his mother made. Pan hash is made of cooked cornmeal mush cooked with pork and onions. It is cooled overnight and fried in a skillet. Sometimes my father would make this dish for us. Each fall the German families in the area put shredded cabbage in a crock. They covered each layer of cabbage with and by letting it ferment, made sauerkraut.

My mother’s family came over from England about 1626. They settled in New Amsterdam. They were reformed Roman Catholics. It is uncertain when the Schuyler family married into the Hoyt family and migrated to Dayton, Ohio. Another branch of my mother’s family was named Baird. They also had migrated from the east. Unknown to each other, both families moved to Millersburg, Iowa. The two families met there and my great great grandmother (Emma Jane Hoyt) married Albert Baird. Emma Jane and Albert had two children Lillie and Ora. Emma Jane taught school, piano lessons, drama, and ran a millinery shop. Both Lillie and Ora taught school with Lillie receiving her teaching certificate in 1888.

In 1899 the Baird family decided to move west and homesteaded in Colorado just north of Fort Morgan Colorado. Times were still unsettled when they moved. Many deaths occurred from diphtheria. Many children died from the infectious disease. My grandmother Lillie always told how the children were hidden when the Indians came. They put the small children under barrels and butter churns to keep them safe from the Indians.

My mother’s father was of French and English descent. His grandmother, on his mother’s side, only spoke French to him. He was originally from Parkersburg, Illinois – a town that bears the family name. It is unknown why they moved from Illinois to Fort Morgan in 1899. In 1900 he married Lillie Baird. My mother Velda Mae Parker was born in Fort Morgan a few years later. She graduated from the University of Colorado in 1929. She also taught school, as had her mother and grandmother. She was a teacher in a one room school in Hillrose, Colorado. The first year of teaching she contracted chicken pox, mumps, and measles from her students. She then taught in Sterling, Colorado where she met my father. They were married in Denver in 1936 and moved to Nebraska where they remained until the move to Dallas when I was a small child.


Sally entered public school in Dallas and spent the early grades in those schools near their home in University Park. Beginning with the 5th grade, her parents enrolled Sally in Hockaday school in Dallas; she made many friends during her years at Hockaday and graduated in 1957. Soon after her graduation the family moved to Ft. Collins, Colorado where the Meltzer’s opened a furniture store. Early in her life, Sally developed a love for the mountains. Her family owned a cabin in Estes Park and Sally and her family spent many summers in this cabin. Sally was devoted to the Cheley Colorado Camp in Estes Park where she hiked, rode horses, and made many friends. Sally attended Cheley for five years from 1950 to 1954. When she wasn’t in camp she rode horses obtained from the Estes Park stables, near Beaver Point. When she got older she worked at the drug store in Estes Park as her summer job.

Sally’s dad loved to fly fish for trout when they were able to spend summers at their cabin in Estes Park. Sally often told how Parker convinced her that it was an honor to clean the fish he would bring home after a day of fishing. He recruited her as a young girl to do this chore by telling her that she might find a prize inside some of the fish. That would be the fish eggs. It wasn’t long before Sally figured that she was being teased by her dad but she said she didn’t mind cleaning the fish.

Sally also spent some summers with her grandparents who lived in Ft. Morgan, Colorado. Sally’s maternal grandfather, Judge Parker, lived there with his second wife, Maude. Velda’s mother had died and Judge Parker had remarried. Sally was very close to her grandmother who she called Aunt Maude.

Besides her love for horses, Sally loved all animals, particularly dogs. As a child she had a beagle, Nance, and a dachshund, Tina. Before Jim was born, Sally and Bob bought a young Dalmatian they named Peggy. Sally spent many hours with Peggy as she cared for the children and ran the house. Shortly before Sally’s retirement they were able to care for a stray Shih-Tzu that showed up in the neighborhood. They named him Toby and after his death they adopted Charlie, a small sheepdog mix, followed by Annie, a Dalmatian mix. Sally was not able to walk Annie because Annie was too strong and by this time Sally could not balance well enough to be safe. But Sally loved Annie; Sally chose the name Annie because Annie was an orphan, and it fit perfectly because everyone in the neighborhood knows Annie. They bonded because Sally would sneak treats under the table at dinnertime.

And then there was Daisy. Daisy was a beautiful Dalmatian that Bob and Sally got after they had had time to adjust to the loss of Peggy. Daisy was a young, registered pup that, though beautiful, was not too bright. On one trip that Sally and Loretta DeWitt were taking to Colorado, they were with Jennifer, Ashley, and Daisy. When they stopped for the night in Clayton they were not able to get Daisy settled. When they put Daisy in the bathroom she howled. The only solution was for Sally and Loretta to walk Daisy outside. So they took turns, at 30 minute intervals, walking Daisy all night so they would not get evicted from the motel. It was not a very restful night and Daisy did not last long after that.

After graduation from Hockaday, Sally enrolled at Colorado State University in Ft. Collins and lived at home. Sally showed early promise as an artist and that was going to be her major field of study. Her family still has paintings she made during this period. Sally joined the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority during her year at CSU. For the summer term in 1958 Sally transferred to the University of Colorado at Boulder and lived in the sorority house. Sally attended the University of Colorado through the summer of 1959. It was then that Sally decided she wanted to become a flight attendant.

Sally undoubtedly had many adventures while living in the sorority house. One she often told Bob was the incident with Darlene Delaney. Darlene was from the South, and to lend a bit of home to their room she brought Spanish moss back to Boulder to remind her of home. The dried moss was stuck on the ceiling of their room. It had a very unusual and decorative affect. Until the night when it caught fire – either from a candle or a cigarette. Fortunately, no one was hurt and nobody got kicked out of the sorority house.

Another tradition that Sally got from a college roommate was that the first thing you should say on the first day of each month was “Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit”. Otherwise you would have bad luck the whole month. Sally was faithful to this tradition until nearly the end. The origin of this tradition is unknown but Sally never wanted to take a chance on tempting fate.

Before Sally started training to become a flight attendant, Loretta’s mother, Grace Dennard and Sally’s mother decided that the girls would benefit from a tour of Europe. In making plans for the trip, Sally’s dad withdrew her savings bonds in order to arrange part of the financing for the tour. Sally often told of her dad, in handing over the bonds, said to her – “When it’s gone, it’s gone.” Sally often said this to her children when helping them to learn the need to be conservative with their money.

Sally and Loretta had many adventures during their tour of Europe. One story they both told was their attendance at the passion play in Oberammergau, Germany. This all-day event is held every 10 years, so in 1960 it was their luck to be able to attend. Not long after the start of the play the girls realized that the dialog was all in German. So they were not able to understand anything. The day was cold and the concrete seats were cold and uncomfortable. About mid-day they looked at one another and decided to go back to the hotel. Sally said to Loretta, “we might as well go, we know how this ends.” So they left the tour group, and went back to the hotel where they wrapped up in down comforters and spent the rest of the day getting warm.

After her college years in Colorado, and after the tour in Europe, Sally began her training with United Airlines to become a flight attendant. Sally received her training in Cheyenne and got her wings in April 1961. Sally then moved to Chicago where she was based for the next two years. After her parents moved back to Dallas in about 1963, Sally decided to leave Chicago and continue her career as a flight attendant with Braniff Airlines. Sally completed her training with Braniff and got her wings with this airline in February 1963.

Sally was flying out of Dallas when she met Bob on a blind date. Bob was sharing an apartment with a Braniff co-pilot who wanted to date one of Sally’s fellow flight attendants. The girl wanted to have another couple go with them to Six Flags so she asked Sally to go and they looked for a date for Sally. Luckily, they thought of Bob – and the rest is history. When Bob called to introduce himself to Sally, they had an immediate connection because Sally, in her tour of Europe, had traveled with a group that included a boy from Bob’s hometown. Bob graduated from high school with his older sister so they both knew a common individual. They talked on the phone for two hours, never dated anyone else, were engaged in three months and married six months after the first date. Bob and Sally were seldom separated for the next 55 years.

After marriage Sally and Bob rented an apartment in Oak Cliff in Dallas. The rent was $225 a month for a small one bedroom, one bath furnished apartment. They decided to live in Oak Cliff because it was midway between Bob’s job in Grand Prairie and Sally’s job in downtown Dallas. Sally rode the city bus to Dallas where she worked as a receptionist for a big advertising agency. One of the policies of the apartment was that if the tenants furnished one room of the apartment, the rent would be reduced by $5 a month. At the time Sally’s dad was representing a furniture manufacturer in New York that made wonderful, solid cherry furniture. When they were able, Bob and Sally ordered furniture for their bedroom. Later, they bought a hide-a-bed and easy chair from Levitz, and an end table from the New York manufacturer. So now the rent was $215 a month. During this period Sally’s artistic talents were used to design and build a table in which the top was made of small colored tiles. She cut the tiles to create a design that was a sea-horse; the table is still in the family.

After they had lived in the apartment for about two years, Sally found out that she was pregnant. They then began to look for a house. Since Bob had lived in Irving before, they started looking there. Irving was close enough to Bob’s work at Chance-Vought and was still pretty close to Sally’s parents and friends in Dallas. They closed on a small three bedroom house in the Sherwood Forest addition in Irving. The house cost $20,400; according to Sally, Bob told her when they moved in that she better be pregnant since they were spending a fortune on this house. The house was on a street called Locksley Chase – Sally always called in “Locksley whatever”. The little house was OK though and provided a home for the family which soon included Jim, then Jennifer about two years later, and then Ashley two and a half years later.

After 10 years in Irving and with the family needing more space, it was time to move again. Bob and Sally decided to look for a house in Arlington so that Sally could finish her college degree at the University of Texas in Arlington. This was in 1976 and Jim and Jennifer were in grade school and Ashley was in kindergarten. This house, on Live Oak Lane, had five bedrooms, and three baths. Although it was not very big, at least each of the children had their own bedroom upstairs. Bob found this house in the classified ads when it was for sale by the owner. They assumed the mortgage by paying the original owner’s equity – things you can’t do today. The total price was over $50,000. Things were definitely moving along and Sally and Bob worked hard to keep things together and take care of their little family.

Sally was a wonderful and devoted mother. She provided love, counsel, and example to her three children. Sally enrolled at UTA and for the next three years carried the difficult load of being a homemaker, student, mother, and wife. Sally graduated with a degree in Education and began teaching in the Arlington ISD in 1979. She taught in the early grades until her retirement in 1997.

Sally and Bob lived on Live Oak Lane until Bob retired in late 1999. They had lived there as empty nesters for about seven years and were both tired of climbing stairs. Bob had promised Sally that after he retired they would find another house. They looked all over Arlington and the mid-cities and finally found a house they both liked in north east Arlington. By now, with the children earning their own money, Sally and Bob were able to afford the $239,000 mortgage! Within a year they had added a third garage so that Bob would have room for the tools he had inherited from his uncle.

The house on Midway road was probably Sally’s favorite even though the other houses had many memories. For all of her time in hospitals and health facilities she always wanted to come home. She loved the house even more after it was updated after the house burned in 2010. Sally and Bob spent 22 months living in apartments while waiting to settle insurance claims and rebuild their house. During this difficult time, Sally showed her strength, perseverance and resolve by helping Bob with the problems of caring for their household goods and rebuilding and reoccupying their home.

About ten years ago, Bob and Sally were given a DNA test as a Christmas gift from Jim and Marianne. After sending in their saliva samples, Bob and Sally received the results regarding their ethnic heritage. The results are shown on page 128. Once, when Sally was attending an evening school meeting during her student teaching, Bob accompanied her to the school. Sally introduced him to the principal who thought Bob looked like he was Sally’s brother. No wonder they got along so well for 55 years.

Soon after they were married, Sally’s parents went to Canton for the first Monday sale in that town. Parker bought an antique clock that, even though it was not working, he knew a repairman in Dallas who he thought could get it working. When he went to the clock repair shop, the man said he was busy and that Parker should go to the library and get some books and repair it himself. Parker did just that. He not only repaired that clock and gave it to Sally, he began to buy more clocks and fix them. Thus began a major hobby for Parker after he retired. Sally inherited the clock collection and they ended up with over twenty clocks – grandfather clocks, wall clocks, cuckoo clocks, and mantel clocks. Every Saturday, Sally and Bob would share in winding the clocks. Sally always called Saturday “wind the clock day”.

Sally collected teddy bears. This started when, as a teacher, she would get them at a garage sale, wash them, maybe repair them and have them ready to give to some of her little students when they were hurting. Soon, her friends began bringing her teddy bears. Before long the house was full of teddy bears of every size and color. There were more bears coming into the house than were leaving. Even after retirement, Sally was drawn to teddy bears and had over two hundred at one time. One weekend she decided that she would give them all names so she spent several days selecting a name and entering it into a notebook. Sally collected cookbooks and had a bookcase full of them in which she had entered comments and made plans to fix the meals for Bob and her family. Sally also had a thimble collection. A neighbor made her a wall hanging of yardsticks so that each thimble had its own little shelf. There were three long shelves of these thimbles that were hung in her laundry room.

For many summers, Sally took her children on a Greyhound bus to Colorado to spend a few weeks in the family cabin with her parents. Sally’s parents would drive to Denver to meet the bus and take them back to the cabin in Estes Park. In some of the summers one or more of the children would be at Cheley camp to share in Sally’s love of the mountains. When possible Bob would take a vacation from his job and would join the family so they could all hike together.

Sally also took many trips to Estes Park with her friend, Loretta DeWitt. Sometimes the trips were to take the girls to Cheley for summer camp, or sometimes they would go by themselves to stay in cabin to shop and hike. Of the many adventures they had, one story survives. The cabin had a standing furnace as the only source of heat. It was notoriously cranky. One morning the ladies woke up cold and decided they had to light the furnace. This was done holding a match to the pilot while holding down the pilot valve. Sally tried for 15 minutes with no luck. She gave the matches to Loretta who then tried to light the furnace for another 15 minutes, all the while both getting colder. Finally, they called Gene Gimar, a year round resident who lived nearby. Gene tried for another 15 minutes or so and decided they had a bad thermocouple. He brought Sally and Loretta back to his house and poured them each a glass of bourbon. After a bit, Sally and Loretta didn’t know whether they were cold or not.

In 1985 Sally was diagnosed with a condition that required brain surgery in which the doctors removed her pituitary gland. She was on leave from her job for nearly one semester recovering from this surgery. For the rest of her life Sally took medications to replace the hormones that had been supplied by the pituitary. Sally bore all of these problems with strength, courage and stoicism that make her a hero in the eyes of her family. During this time Sally provided as much support to her parents as she was able. Sally helped her parents with their move to assisted living and visited them after they made the transition. Sally and Bob also helped Bob’s parents and visited them in Canyon, Arkansas, and Marble Falls when they could.

In 1998 Sally and Bob traveled to Europe to visit their daughter Ashley in Trieste. They traveled on the train from Zurich to Bern, Lucerne, Salzburg, Trieste and Venice before returning home. After Bob’s retirement Sally and Bob were blessed with even more time together. From 2000 to 2010 they traveled to Colorado and New Mexico. They took a cruise to Alaska in 2001, a cruise to eastern Canada and New England in 2004, and a cruise to the western coast of South America in 2009. In 2006 they traveled in western Canada on the Rocky Mountaineer railroad. In 2002 they drove to visit the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone after spending some time with the Folkerth’s in the cabin.

In 2007 Sally was able to attend her 50th Reunion of her Hockaday graduation. For this reunion, Sally and her classmates completed an information sheet on their activities. Parts of Sally’s information included the following:

I AM HAPPIEST WHEN: Bob, Charlie (our dog) and I are walking at the park or watching TV together.
TRAVELER: since we retired we have been on a cruise to Alaska and a cruise to New England and eastern Canada.
SOMETHING ELSE: I love to go to the YMCA where I take classes in yoga and pilates. The Y is only about 10 minutes from our house and I love it.
NOBODY KNOWS THAT: I have 225 teddy bears. They range from tiny to large. They are all over our house.
I CAN BE FOUND AT: walking Charlie around the neighborhood or reading a book.
I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT: the protection of little animals and preventing their mistreatment.

In 2012 Sally was diagnosed with a major medical problem. This problem was compounded in early 2013 with even more severe conditions. The year 2013 was extremely difficult for Sally but she fought hard and regained her spirit and was able to function for the next few years. However, her eyesight had declined so that she could no longer drive. By the summer of 2017 she experienced more health problems which ultimately led to her passing in early 2019. She will never be forgotten by those who knew and loved her.



Loretta DeWitt

Sally and I first met when I transferred to the Hockaday School in the seventh grade. We made an immediate connection finding that we both had a long standing love of Estes Park, Colorado. My connection to Colorado began at age four visiting Wind River Ranch with my parents. Sally's maternal grandfather had built a cabin in the High Drive area where she and her mom spent their summers. Sally usually attended one term of Cheley Camp. At their invitation, I spend a week or two at the cabin most summers during our school years and even after marriage. Sally and I loved to rent horses to ride in the mountains and hike the national park trails. We would usually pack a sack lunch to eat at some beautiful destination. About 2 to 3 hours each way was about our speed. We enjoyed a more leisurely pace, stopping to view and photograph wildlife and flowers. Once on a hike toward Ouzel Falls, at our lunch spots, we encountered a brazen, well-fed chipmunk with obviously no fear of people. He was really obnoxious. Sally thought if she tossed a grape down the rocks he would chase it and leave us alone. However, the grape bounced down the rocks several times with the last bounce sending it off into the river with the chipmunk in hot pursuit. Poor Sally felt so guilty thinking that she had drowned the chipmunk that it ruined the hike for her that day.

We had so many funny experiences over the years in Colorado, Dallas, Europe and elsewhere. Sally really knew how to be a "best friend".. We raised our children together, shared holidays, birthdays, and were just a part of each others' families - both before and after marriage. I miss her friendship each and every day. I am so grateful for the continued connection to Bob and her children and grandchildren. I still have a part of Sally in them.

Marianne Patterson

My first trip to meet Sally and Bob in November 2011 is a time I will never forget as it is a very special memory. Jim not only took me to meet his parents for the first time but also to introduce me to them as his new wife and to share the news that we were about to move to London in a few months for a job opportunity. We had just gotten married in October and were starting to plan our move across the Atlantic. It was a time of much change and great excitement in our lives as we were about to start our new life together and experience an adventure abroad as husband and wife.

It was a chilly but bright and sunny morning when we landed. After Sally and Bob picked us up at the airport for the short drive back to their house, we were sitting around the table in the kitchen talking and getting to know each other. Then Jim shared all our exciting news with them. That certainly was a big announcement for Sally and Bob to absorb at one time and we had only just arrived not too long before that! Even though I know it was a big surprise to them and a lot to take in, they were so excited and happy for us. Without a moment of hesitation, Bob excused himself from the table and came back with a small box – the size of a ring box! Jim and I were both caught off guard as we did not know that this would happen. We celebrated the occasion by pulling out some wine – we clinked our glasses together for a toast of the great things to come! I will never forget that day when I first met Sally.

I was truly honored and humbled to have been presented with Sally’s first wedding ring. I know she was pleased to pass it on to Jim and me. Her ring carries many happy memories of Sally. I am proud to wear it today to carry on with Sally’s memory and to give it even more happy memories as Jim’s wife for many more years to come.

James Cole

I knew my Mom loved me because she always took care of me when I was sick or hurting, especially when I was hurting. In raising me, my Mom had to be a nurse, paramedic, and comforter; she had to have nerves of steel and the patience of Job. Dad kept a list of my accidents and emergency visits to the doctor. By the time I left for college, there were 16 incidents on the list requiring stitches or trips to the emergency room, or both.

One of my first recollections of the many medical emergencies was when I broke my arm. This was an event that happened around late spring 1974 when I was seven years old. We lived in Irving and I was swinging on the swing set in the backyard with a neighbor kid. We were playing “paratrooper”. We would swing as high as we could and when we reached the highest point we would let go and land in the grass.

My landing was a little rough that particular day. I got up and my arm hurt. I went into the house and announced that I had just broken my arm. Mom told me I was fine and to go out and play. She would let us know when lunch was ready. The next time I went in my arm had swollen. Uh oh.

The next thing I know my sisters and I were piled in the car heading to the doctor’s office. It was indeed broken. I got a neat plaster cast on my left arm with a sling. My friends all signed it. I thought it was kind of cool. One problem – no swimming, no bike riding, no tree climbing, no fishing, no skateboarding – no nothing. Summer in Texas had just begun. It was a devastating start.

Mom knew what was coming – me driving everyone crazy! Preemptive action was taken very quickly as I recall. We went to the library, not an unusual trip. We went often as I loved to read. The next thing I knew I had been signed up for a book reading contest. As I recall, you read the books, answered some basic questions to validate the read, and got credit for the book. I am certain that I read well over 100 books and easily won the competition. That was the summer I will never forget. I will also never forget that my Mom was always cool and collected as she took care of me and my sisters.

Jennifer Cole Harten

I wrote this poem back in the 1980’s for Mom as I created her a scrapbook as a gift. I suppose it sounded great in my head, as I was probably still a teenager.


Mom, what you have done for my life is so true:

I want you to know that I do appreciate all that you do.

I know that my actions and words sometimes do not show it:

But I know in my heart it is what I will never forget.

From the time I was a white-headed, red-faced crying baby:

To the teenage years of my life, which all seemed so crazy,

My life has somewhere or another all benefited because of you.

To have a perfect mother, an excellent adviser and a friend too,

Seems all too undeserving for any one person.

I know that to raise a good family has been your main mission.

In my eyes and I know many more, your job as a mother is well done:

You’ve had two daughters, holding unique characteristics, and a very special son:

I’ve never thanked you for feeding me each day:

Or putting on my warm clothes as I go out to play.

Motherhood is such a demanding occupation, for just one you.

I know that at times it seems that there is just too much to do:

You work, you clean and are truly interested in us:

When all that we could do for you is fuss.

To forget to tell you “thank you” are the moments I regret”

I know it hurt you, but you never got upset.

Your temper is cool and your love is so real:

My mom is somebody that no one can steal.

The years have gone by all so fast:

I know that we all wonder just why they pass.

I wish there was a better way that I could tell you

Just how much I love you and for all of us, all that you do.

For all the time that you put up with me:

Your patience is outstanding, as far as I can see:

So I guess that what I am basically trying to say:

Is that I love you more and more each and every day.

It is a miracle that I graduated from college, after typing this up for this memory book. The message was clear, though, and as Mom would say: ”It’s the thought that counts”. That is probably the single most special saying I remember from my Mom. She had so many sayings that she told us and now I am passing them on. Ones that I remember best were: “We’re off like a herd of turtles”, "Pretty is as pretty does”, “Home again, home again, jiggity jig", and “Books are our friends”. These messages all had their proper place and educational moment. Mom taught us couth (her exact word choice), how to get “credit for asking”, good grammar, to love the mountains, and think of others. Mom drove us (without complaining) around town to various activities and extra curriculars. She helped with camp, college and sorority applications. She helped with countless moves and gave for her family until she was unable to give any more. I pray that she is resting with Jesus today.

Ashley Cole

My Mom was special and it is a lot of little things that fill my mind with memories of her. She taught me how to bake cookies, muffins and cakes. I wasn’t a very good student when it came to pies but I liked watching her cut off the pie dough and make the pie. She would give me the leftovers and I would slather it with butter, sugar and cinnamon. My Mom taught me to roll them up and bake them so I could have a snack.

When I was little I loved the crumbs from Nilla wafers. I think it was because my Mom crushed them for pie crusts. I remember her giving me the box and telling me I could finish it because there were too many crumbs. I still love cookies. She would buy me the Barnum & Bailey individual boxes when I was small and I felt special.

My Mom did so many little things that are actually big things when you think about it. She drove me all over the place and never complained. I wish I had been more thankful. I will never forget her picking me up from a slumber party. On the way home she asked if I had said “thank you”. I had forgotten. Mom drove me all the way back so I could say “thank you”.

Mom wanted me to be “well rounded” and to try a lot of things. She had me enrolled in tap dancing, ballet, softball and soccer. I wasn’t very good at any of it. Mom thought I should try out for cheerleading and that stuck for a while. I will not forget her enrolling me in Dillard’s charm school. Etiquette, grammar and manners were very important to my Mom. My Mom was a silent cheerleader. She wanted the best for me. I was so thankful I recently found her cards and letters she wrote to me when I was away at college. They were always filled with love, and a Cathy cartoon.

Mom was always up for an adventure. One Monday morning, we got up early to travel to Canton for the first Monday trade days sale. We had planned this for a long time. I drove my Datsun for that little trip and Mom was in charge of directions. She was my GPS before there was GPS. She was always good with directions. She could tell which way she was facing no matter what.

We left early in the morning and just hung out and wandered around all day long. We found a wood shelving unit with cutouts in the side in the shape of hearts. Mom thought it would be great for my sweaters so I bought it with my babysitting money. I took it to college and it is still in the family. I have some really fun memories of Mom. She was easy going and it was nice to be with her.

One of my sweetest memories of Mom is when she would drive me to Shackelford Junior High. Jim and Jennifer were in high school so I had Mom all to myself during the drive. We would take turns listening to our favorite tapes. Mom never complained about the tapes I selected and we would sing together. Her favorite tape was Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton’s song “Islands in the Stream”. We’d’ sing that one all the time. Mom never got tired of it. I had not heard it in a long time but a few week ago it came on the radio when I was driving to a store.

I passed my destination and continued up the road just to hear it again. I felt for a moment she was with me and I sang my heart out.