Lawrence Aloysius McDonough
March 3, 1922 – June 1, 2019
Lawrence A. McDonough, 97, passed away, Saturday, June 1, 2019 at Southeast Georgia Health System in Brunswick, Larry was a native of Savannah until 1963 when he made his home on Jekyll Island and more recently St. Simons Island. He received his high school education from Benedictine Military Academy in Savannah, and formal education in Architectural Engineering from the Georgia School of Technology. He continued his education at the School of Science and Natural Resources at the University of Georgia, and furthered his graduate studies at Duke University under Drs. Theodore Coil and Frances X. Shoemakur. Upon completion of his studies, Larry was employed with Union-Camp Corp. as Land Acquisition Manager. He incorporated his own land development company in 1973, Atlantic Land & Development Corp with his son, Joseph Nelson and Hubert Harold Sigman. He was a long-standing member of the Golden Isles Home Building Association. During World War II, Larry entered the United States Army-Air Force serving with the 863rd Bomber Squadron and with the Mighty 8th Air Force flying bombing missions over Nazi held territories of Ardennes, Rhineland, and Central Europe. For his distinguished combat service, he was awarded the American Theater EAME Ribbon with three Bronze Stars and the United States Air Medal with Four Oak-Leaf Clusters. At 97 years old, Larry was one of the oldest living World War II Veterans from the State of Georgia. Larry stayed active many years while playing tennis with the Jekyll Island Tennis Club. He was married to the late Anne Elliott McDonough Surviving Children are: Joseph Nelson McDonough (Lynn), Marie McDonough Sigman (Hal), Anne McDonough Adams (Joe), Larry Luv McDonough (Patsy), and Donna McDonough Fisher (Joey); 7 Grandchildren Therese Sigman,(deceased), Lamar Russ, Brandon Sigman, Trish Sigman, Erica R. Davis, Elliott Fisher, and Max Fisher; 6 Great-Grandchildren Drew Courtenay, Mason Hannon, Palmer Russo, Caroline Davis, Gibson Russo, and Hamilton Davis.
Honorary Pallbearers will be Lamar Russo, Brandon Sigman, Elliott Fisher, Max Fisher, Drew Courtenay, Mason Hannon, Palmer Russo, Hamilton Davis, Joe Adams, Joseph M. Fisher, Hal Sigman, Dwight Davis, Edward Tuttle, Charles Tuttle, Richard Tuttle, Pat Tuttle, Paul Tuttle, Thomas McDonough, Timothy McDonough, Kevin McDonough, Bernard McDonough, Edward Sheppard, and Egan Sheppard.
The family would like to extend their heartfelt appreciation to Gloria Johnson for her loving and caring assistance to Mr. McDonough for the last 5 years. May God bless you for all that you have done for our family.
In lieu of flowers, please send donations to St. William Catholic Church, Monsignor John Kenneally’s 50th Anniversary Educational Scholarship Fund.
A Funeral Mass will be conducted at 10 AM, Tuesday June 4, 2019 at St. William Catholic Church on St. Simons Island. Graveside burial will be at 2:00 PM in Savanah at the Catholic Cemetery in the Holy Cross Section. Services will be officiated by Monsignor John Kenneally.
Edo Miller Funeral Home in Brunswick, GA will be in charge of funeral arrangements. www.edomillerandsons.com
- Anne Elliot McDonough, Wife
- Joseph Nelson McDonough, Child
- Marie McDonough Sigman, Child
- Anne McDonough Adams, Child
- Larry Luv McDonough, Child
- Donna McDonough Fisher, Child
- Therese Sigman, Grandchild
- Lamar Russo, Grandchild
- Brandon Sigman, Grandchild
- Trish Sigman, Grandchild
- Erica R. Davis, Grandchild
- Elliot Fisher, Grandchild
- Max Fisher, Grandchild
- Drew Courtenay, Great Grandchild
- Mason Hannon, Great Grandchild
- Palmer Russo, Great Grandchild
- Caroline Davis, Great Grandchild
- Gibson Russo, Great Grandchild
- Hamilton Davis, Great Grandchild
- Lamar Russo, Honorary Pallbearer
- Brandon Sigman, Honorary Pallbearer
- Elliot Fisher, Honorary Pallbearer
- Max Fisher, Honorary Pallbearer
- Drew Courtenay, Honorary Pallbearer
- Mason Hannon, Honorary Pallbearer
- Palmer Russo, Honorary Pallbearer
- Hamilton Davis, Honorary Pallbearer
- Joe Adams, Honorary Pallbearer
- Joseph M. Fisher, Honorary Pallbearer
- Hal Sigman, Honorary Pallbearer
- Dwight Davis, Honorary Pallbearer
- Edward Tuttle, Honorary Pallbearer
- Charles Tuttle, Honorary Pallbearer
- Richard Tuttle, Honorary Pallbearer
- Pat Tuttle, Honorary Pallbearer
- Paul Tuttle, Honorary Pallbearer
- Thomas McDonough, Honorary Pallbearer
- Timothy McDonough, Honorary Pallbearer
- Kevin McDonough, Honorary Pallbearer
- Bernard McDonough, Honorary Pallbearer
- Edward Sheppard, Honorary Pallbearer
- Egan Sheppard, Honorary Pallbearer
St. William Catholic Church, Monsignor John Kenneally’s 50th Anniversary Educational Scholarship Fund.
2300 Frederica Rd/, St. Simons Island, Georgia 31522
- Funeral Mass Tuesday, June 4, 2019
- Graveside Service Tuesday, June 4, 2019
Lawrence Aloysius McDonough
June 5, 2019
Thoughts and prayers are with your family. What an outstanding life and family.
June 3, 2019
June 3, 2019
Pop was my BULLDAWG BUDDY. We went to so many UGA games together with Joe and Lynn. His energy, enthusiasm, humor and knowledge always amazed me. I will miss him. There is now an empty place in my heart that was reserved for him. My deepest and most sincere PRAYERS go out to Joe and Lynn (my dearest friends), (Trish Sigman, I love you) and the entire McDonough family. WE WILL MEET AGAIN.
June 2, 2019
Dear Joe, Marie, and family,
Our deepest sympathy. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, Wiley and Mary Younce and family